I love horrendous 90's Graphics. Do you?

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I think we all agree that people overlook 2D way too much. For instance, it involves about two/thirds the amount of math to code...

MetalDooley

Cwipes!!!
Feb 9, 2010
Country
Ireland
BlindMessiah94 said:
The equation is quite simple.

Gameplay > Graphics.

A game can look like absolute shite and still be great.

A game can look like a sunset painted by Jesus and still be crap.

Graphics should never take the priority of the gameplay.
Back when graphics were only as good as being 2D they really had no choice but to focus on gameplay.

Yet, some games still looked beautiful and played great too (Chrono Trigger).
Hit the nail on the head there.

@ OP I wouldn't say those graphics are bad at all.Compare them to 3D games from the same time and it's the 3D ones that look dated and ugly now.2D graphics can be every bit as good as 3D as long as the art style is right.Take a look at something like Muramasa on Wii.One of the best looking games released last year imo

Axolotl

Feb 17, 2008
Why is Planescape Torment not in the OP? Of all the 90's isometric RPGs it was the best aesthetically..

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
New 2D games running at 1080p on the PC are some of the best looking games in my opinion. Thinking of games like Osmos, Machinarium and Gratuitous Space Battles. I would like to see some well funded 1080p 2D hand drawn (or whatever, not just 3d renders) adventure games and isometric RPGs. Although infinity engine games like PS:T now have widescreen patches I would like to see what artists could do with todays tools and tech.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
I like the graphics because I know they're bad. 90's 64-bit graphics, 2D, false 3D are what I grew up with. It's games now that have poor graphics/textures that annoy me. If the game's good its OK, but often the game is bad.

nolongerhere

Winter is coming.
Nov 19, 2008
Not really. Baldur's Gate is all right, but the rest ... yeesh.

Julianking93 said:
What do you mean bad graphics?

Just look how awesome this [http://www.zeldacapital.com/Games/preview/alttp3.jpg] is!
On the other hand, this is absolutely gorgeous. I love this. All the colours! So very, very pretty.

Aug 25, 2009
I'm replaying a whole lot of PS1 games at the moment and the single most common thing I find while playing them?

'Sure, good by 90s standards, but the graphics are shockingly awful.'

There's nothing for me to love there. I like my games looking sleek and well presented. That doesn't mean I don't want story as well, just that so many games of the 90s with great stories were let down by graphical limitations. It's a nice nostalgia filter, letting me see chunky blocks and piexels for arms, but strip it away and it reduces my experience.

Yes, I loved them at the time, yes, they provoke childish reminders in me, but no, I don't love them, I see them as the stepping stone they were to achieving our current stage of graphics. Like looking at a stick painting by cavemen to see how we eventually progressed to the Mona Lisa or the Sistine Chapel. (this is a gross exagerration, 16 bit would be the stick figures and we haven't yet reached perfect levels yet, but you get the point.)

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Lemon Of Life said:
The original Fallouts look awesome, are they worth getting?
Yes. The collection of 1, 2 and Tactics is incredibly cheap. The ystart slow but grow on you, so don't put the game away after the first 30 minutes. Get them.
Axolotl said:
Why is Planescape Torment not in the OP? Of all the 90's isometric RPGs it was the best aesthetically..
Oh shi...I actually wanted to add that but forgot about it. My bad. As I said: Feel free to post your own pictures ;D.

NightShadeNes said:
actually i dont care much about graphics,gameplay is important not graphics
How does this have anythiing to do with the topic at hand? I asked if you liked a particular type of graphic for its aesthetics. That's like asking what type of meat you like only for someone to reply that animals shouldn't be killed for food.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I've never considered games like Diablo and Fallout to have bad graphics, they look splendid. It's because they're 2D, which suites them perfectly. Bad 3D just looks disgusting.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Oh God, you have no idea how much I miss pixels. Especially the blocky Playstation and N64 characters of old. I grew up with polygons and barely humanlike characters and I miss them dearly.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I quite like the style of the games shown in the OP. What I can appreciate in context but don't really like is early attempts at serious 3D like the character models in FF7. Those just look so terrible now.

Fenreil

Mar 14, 2010
The N64 has the best graphics out of anything. They just fit so well with the games that I have no problems going back and playing '64 games. It's so well balanced.

data_not_found

Nov 12, 2008
I have a strange affinity for 90's graphics in games and movies. The fact that everyone was being so ambitious with pre-rendered 3d and trying to do outlandish things with it always looked cool to me, and I was very sad when people decided to try and make CGI photo-realistic. It's just fun to look at things that are obviously not real but still look cool.

My favorite is still the old starcraft graphics when a bunch of ships cluster at one point and it just turns into a clusterfuck of nonsense.

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
That Diablo screenshot does bring back some fond memories. I am especially reminded of the Tristam theme [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dS26gRnJOM&feature=PlayList&p=0A45623BF1F92677&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=75], one of the most haunting pieces of music in gaming history. Oh man I think I still have the disc! I'm going to play Diablo now. :)

Generator

May 8, 2009
Meh, even though I grew up in the '90s, I didn't see much of these types of graphics. I think it's because I got into games in the second half of the '90s, when things went full on 3D, with Super Mario 64 and Spyro the Dragon and the like. These type of graphics aren't really for me, but I assume that if I was just a tad bit older, nostalgia would force me to love them.