i love *insert game here* BUT...

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I liked Mass Effect but once I got past the skills and squad building I found the combat lackluster. I liked Mass Effect 2 but although the combat was more solid the RPG elements felt more shallow.

I love Alpha Protocol but there'll never be a sequel so I shouldn't tease myself.

PurePareidolia

Nov 26, 2008
Suncatcher said:
If Sovereign had succeeded in ME1, the entire galaxy would be hit at the speed of a jump gate, with no warning, no preparation... no chance against the Reapers. Shepard would be a hero, yes, but even he can't do much against simultaneous overwhelming attacks on every inhabited planet in the galaxy right after the closest thing to a centralized government was eaten.

At the end of Arrival you know what's coming, where, when, and theoretically have the capability to fight it. No, the Council won't believe you and will probably work against you every step of the way. But if you did it right, you don't need the council. You have the Shadow Broker broadcasting your warning to every sentient in the galaxy whether the idiots at the top like it or not. You have the Rachni at your beck and call, a force that nearly wiped out all intelligent life when they were working alone and acting as mindless drones instead of an intelligent race. You're practically brothers with the head of the growing unified Krogan nation, the race that put down the Rachni and almost took their place as the galaxy's doom (and you have a scientist capable of redacting the Genophage if you need to). There's a good chance you'll be able to pull the full combined power of the Migrant Fleet and the Geth Hive in behind you if you play your cards right. If Sovereign had won, the Reapers would be facing a scattering of confused defenseless apes. Now, they're facing a galaxy that's armed, waiting, and almost unified except for a conspicuous hole in the middle.
The thing is, this happens anyway. That's the plot of Mass Effect 3. The reapers do get to a jump gate (they take maybe a month longer than if you hadn't killed all those Batarians, arriving during Shepard's trial) and they do attack with no warning or preparation. Because nobody has been listening to Shepard's warnings, he's on trial for killing lots of Baratians and has done no preparation we don't have the theoretical capability to fight the reapers (At best there's the Turian Thanix cannon which is based on Sovreign's tech, but it's not standard issue, even for a group as well funded and connected as Cerberus).

At the same time, the various civilizations aren't rallying under the banner of a unified government, you have to gather their support personally and some (like the Quarians and Geth) seem to think this is an excellent time to go to war with each other. They weren't at war two years ago and the council had just seen reapers with their own eyes, they would've been far more receptive to Shepard's help, particularly as he'd just either instated them (if you went with the human council option) or saved their lives.

They're not just fighting defenseless apes, they're fighting defenseless apes who now don't trust Shepard, and who have lost tens of thousands of able bodied colonists who could have crewed starships and aided in the war effort.

I forget if the reapers can disable the mass relays from the citadel, but if they could turn relays off and on remotely they don't need an IFF, and the collectors could've just disabled the Omega 4 relay when they weren't using it. Still, there might be an argument to Shepard averting that, though if I were the reapers, I'd head for the citadel first with that in mind, so it could still occur.

Thomas Rembrandt said:
Seriously, what is it with Roleplaying Games losing it in the last Act? Don't they want us to play the game again? Could be, I mean this way we rather buy a new game than playing the same one over and over again.
I like that about New Vegas - the ending's epic enough, but you don't have to kill anyone, and you can talk your way out of the boss fights. Then I start playing again because I want to try a new faction ending.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
Vault101 said:
I love mass effect 2 but the paragon /renegade thing annoys me
Oh 100% this.

To me the whole paragon renagade thing just ruins the RP element for me.
Any major choices in the game require you to be either full renegade or full paragon and mean you spend the whole game up to them goin all one way or the other.
You may aswell state which you want in character creation, instead of giving us some stupid illusion of choice.

In fact, put that down for any game that works in 'moral choices' in this way.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Torrasque said:
sextus the crazy said:
I love Cod (single player), but besides Cod4, they're all interactive michael bay movies.

I love Fire emblem, but Blazing sword's story has such large holes you can drive a tank through it. Also, Radiant Dawn sucked.
Hey! I love Rekka no Ken! It was my first Fire Emblem! The gameplay is a lot of fun and maxing out Raven or Canas is delicious.
I also enjoy Radiant Dawn, but yeah it really sucks compared to that established Fire Emblem godliness.
What IS your favorite Fire Emblem? I hope you don't say Shadow Dragon...

OP: I love Pokemon, but I can't go back to play gen 1 no matter what I try. The graphics make my eyes hurt, the sounds are all variations of static, the stats are completely jiggered, the types are completely fucked, bug types are a joke, and psychic types rickroll the whole game.
The gen 1 remakes are fantastic, and I love playing anything gen 2+ (except gen 3 which is really boring imo), but I can't play gen 1 anymore, I just can't.

If that doesn't satisfy: I love every Metroid game except MOM. MOM makes me want to disregard all canon for Metroid, go in a corner, and think happy thoughts about how Samus is still a strong character.
Rekka no ken is my favorite (I've played it like 10 times.), but I liked most of the games. Shadow Dragon was so disappointing that I literally wrote a 10 page paper in my free time about how disappointing it was. Which is a shame because Shin Moshou no nazo fixes all its problems, but It's japan only.

Pokemon the first gen is unplayable by today's standards. It was revolutionary for the time, but broken as hell now. It's just a glitchy, unbalanced mess.

Scarim Coral said:
I love Monster Hunter Tri BUT-

I don't get how when you use the lance you can move while using your shield but when you use the sword and shield, you stay still to use your shield. Yes I can get you probably grounded yourself more from a attack but what about when you just to move in closer while being caution?
sextus the crazy said:
I love Cod (single player), but besides Cod4, they're all interactive michael bay movies.

I love Fire emblem, but Blazing sword's story has such large holes you can drive a tank through it. Also, Radiant Dawn sucked.
I love Blazing Sword (Eliwood, Lyn and Hector for the win) but I hated The Sacred Stones. It was far too easy due to it being able to multi path choices allowing you characters to level up faster which made the game itself far too easy. (I loathe Radiant Dawn as I can't stand Micah.)
Honestly, I never cared for the main characters; they're kinda bland and get no really character development. However, like most FE games, the supporting cast makes up for it.

I liked the Sacred Stones. Sure, it was easier, but It's still somewhat challenging; just not to FE vets. But The main characters were more interesting and the supporting cast was pretty cool.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
JesterRaiin said:
I love the Fallout 3, but it's so short...
Yeah true, but many of hours were then spent wadering around trying to find things and exploring the other vaults and such.

OT: Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Awesome game, but boss fights! Geez they were terrible!

Aarowbeatsdragon

Jan 27, 2012
Launcelot111 said:
Aarowbeatsdragon said:
I will probably buy 1 just to have in my collection, but, i hate it!
I'm sorry, but you have to explain this to me. You have played the game and hate it, but you're going to buy it just to say you own it?
yeah, should have explained this, there are ten copys in my local gamestop all selling for 5 euro and i have an extreme OCD when it comes to having incomplete collections, so even if a game/book/movie has a shitty first one and an amazing rest, ill still buy the first one just so i can have them all. It may sound weird and id understand if it does, but its just a thing with me i cant help.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
sextus the crazy said:
Torrasque said:
sextus the crazy said:

Hey! I love Rekka no Ken! It was my first Fire Emblem! The gameplay is a lot of fun and maxing out Raven or Canas is delicious.
I also enjoy Radiant Dawn, but yeah it really sucks compared to that established Fire Emblem godliness.
What IS your favorite Fire Emblem? I hope you don't say Shadow Dragon...

OP: I love Pokemon, but I can't go back to play gen 1 no matter what I try. The graphics make my eyes hurt, the sounds are all variations of static, the stats are completely jiggered, the types are completely fucked, bug types are a joke, and psychic types rickroll the whole game.
The gen 1 remakes are fantastic, and I love playing anything gen 2+ (except gen 3 which is really boring imo), but I can't play gen 1 anymore, I just can't.

If that doesn't satisfy: I love every Metroid game except MOM. MOM makes me want to disregard all canon for Metroid, go in a corner, and think happy thoughts about how Samus is still a strong character.
Rekka no ken is my favorite (I've played it like 10 times.), but I liked most of the games. Shadow Dragon was so disappointing that I literally wrote a 10 page paper in my free time about how disappointing it was. Which is a shame because Shin Moshou no nazo fixes all its problems, but It's japan only.

Pokemon the first gen is unplayable by today's standards. It was revolutionary for the time, but broken as hell now. It's just a glitchy, unbalanced mess.

Scarim Coral said:
I love Monster Hunter Tri BUT-

I don't get how when you use the lance you can move while using your shield but when you use the sword and shield, you stay still to use your shield. Yes I can get you probably grounded yourself more from a attack but what about when you just to move in closer while being caution?
sextus the crazy said:

I love Blazing Sword (Eliwood, Lyn and Hector for the win) but I hated The Sacred Stones. It was far too easy due to it being able to multi path choices allowing you characters to level up faster which made the game itself far too easy. (I loathe Radiant Dawn as I can't stand Micah.)
Honestly, I never cared for the main characters; they're kinda bland and get no really character development. However, like most FE games, the supporting cast makes up for it.

I liked the Sacred Stones. Sure, it was easier, but It's still somewhat challenging; just not to FE vets. But The main characters were more interesting and the supporting cast was pretty cool.
I've lost track of how many times I've beaten Rekka no Ken, but I've only played the hard modes thrice (2 Hector and 1 Eliwood). Fuck doing Eliwood's campaign. I max out Hector by accident, but Eliwood is such a fucking chore. He is so bloody useless in the later chapters (20+) and he is the only character I know of that gains nothing from the addition of a new weapon class. I wish there was a prequel to Rekka no Ken that has Eliwood's dad tearing shit up with a young Marcus (Marcus would actually be useful!)

Sacred Stones was a bit tricky at first and I was excited that I could train any time, but I am on the 2nd past chapter with 10 promoted characters ranging from 9-15 =|. In Rekka no Ken, your characters MIGHT max out one or two things (unless it is Matt or Guy with speed), but that would happen near 20/20. In Sacred Stones, I have 3 characters with 3 maxed stats at lvls 12-14... So I don't even.
I hope the hardmode is actually hard, so when I train it is cuz I need that edge, not so I can do 68 damage to skeletons with 23 health, lol.

/end FE rant

Ryu-Kage

May 6, 2011
Torrasque said:
Aside from the italicized part (I think the Hoenn games are at least as good, if not better, than the Kanto remakes, even if the story is really dumb), those are pretty much my thoughts about Pokemon Gen 1. You left out, though, that the Gen 1 games are also terribly programmed for the time. I only need one word to really prove my point about how Red and Green/Blue where so technically broken: "MissingNo."

OP: I like the Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker, but what kind of game loans you a sword (an essential game mechanic) for about five minutes and then robs you for the ability to use it for the next half-hour? That could've worked better if they took the sword away later in the game (once you've gotten used to having it) or maybe if you obtained the sword for the first time IN the Fortress.

TJ rock 101

May 20, 2008
I love the Diablo games and i like the way 3 is going but everybody else seems to hate it for reasons that don't make sense to me.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
I love Skyrim, BUT the world isn't varied enough and not nearly as big as they implied it would be. Also the writing. BLECH.

I love Minecraft, BUT there needs to be more to do other then mining and crafting. Stuff that isn't ridiculous to achieve.

I love Halo, BUT the recent artstyle changes are less than stellar, IMO. I think Halo looked its best during the Halo 3/ODST/Wars days.

Somewhat related, I love Halo Reach's multiplayer, BUT I miss some of the more crazy modes (SUMO) that used to be in Action Sack in Halo 3. Then again, they may have added it. I haven't checked in a while.

I love Red Dead Redemption, BUT I wish there was more to do in the open world.

I love Alan Wake, BUT nothing.

I love Chrono Trigger, BUT see: Alan Wake.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I love Rock Band, BUT the guitar, bass and vocals are poorly handled compared to the drums.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I love Persona 4 but... Uhhhhhhh no it's completely perfect in every possible way imo. Persona 3 FES on the other hand is basically ruined by the crappy friendly AI. This is probably just extremely annoying to me because i played 4 first, where you can just direct command everyone.

In 3 you have to fiddle around with tactic settings every turn and hope to god that the "heal" tactic is interpreted as heal you, the near death main character, not heal a near full health Mitsuru.

Oh and I love ME2 but why was Arrival a solo mission? Nobody plays Bioware games for the combat, it's a rule of nature. Grass grows, birds fly, the Scout hurts people and Bioware games have crap to mediocre combat mechanics.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
I love Rogue Galaxy, BUT weapon synthesizing gets tedious after a while.

I love Saints Row the 3rd, BUT I wish there was more to do and the story mode was longer.

I love Tachyon The Fringe, BUT both stories feel kind of rushed.
The Bora headquarters gets hit hard by GalSpan(I'm pretty sure at least half of all the stations get destroyed) and very soon after that it's the final mission and GalSpan is forced to retreat from the Fringe. What the hell was that?! We just win and that's that?

GalSpan's side also has this rushed feel to it. Bales just says straight up that you're about to get fucking fired and GalSpan is screwed. Then, the Bora ARE READY TO NEGOTIATE FOR PEACE. WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK. They had the upper hand, they could've finished off GalSpan in one fell swoop, but they just give up and declare it a draw.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
I love the Diablo series but I don't like that (last I heard at least) you have to be online to play it. (I'm more of a "I don't play well with others" type of person)

I love a lot of my PS3 games but I don't like that probably about half of them, to get my platinum trophies I HAVE to play online with others. As previously stated above, I don't play well with others. There are a few people I can play online with but its so rare we have the time to that I don't get to often and half of them the people I can play online with don't own the game so it defeats the purpose.

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
I love Metal Gear Solid 4 but...... I hate the sight system, MGS3 had a much better FP system in my opinion why not keep that.

I love pokemon but....The pokemon are losing more and more apleal to me, the desgn on these thing's just contine to suck. I don't need to like all the poken, I mean ever in pearl I had enough of the old and new pokemon I liked to make me actually think who I wan't in my party, but in Black I don't like any of the new pokemon.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I love Persona 4, but...

the whodunit mystery aspect of it wasn't put together very well and Yosuke is one of the most ass hat characters I've ever encountered in a game.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
The metal gear solid games...

You know where im going with this :p

To many bloody cutscenes! 4 had an almost 2 hour cutscene at the end!

Luckily peacewalker scaled it back a bit. :)

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Idlemessiah said:
JesterRaiin said:
I love the Fallout 3, but it's so short...
Yeah true, but many of hours were then spent wadering around trying to find things and exploring the other vaults and such.

OT: Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Awesome game, but boss fights! Geez they were terrible!

And damn easy! All you had to do was fully upgrade the explosive revolver and nothing could stand in your way :/

The "talking bosses" were cool though. Unless you had the social mod, but thats what its for! XD

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
Mass effect one. I really liked the game.
But then.
So many side-quests. But they all felt needed to be done. So much Time wasted, and then the bloody game glitches, and in mass effect 2 the game informs me I got groinal with Ashley, so I gotta do ANOTHER perfect playthrough, then ANOTHER perfect playthrough of mass effect 2.
What the fuck Bioware.