I may never purchase another EA game so long as I live.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
To avoid legitimizing the complaints of any smartarse that wants to cry "tl;dr, wall of text", the topic of discussion is at the bottom of this post in bold. Now, on to my rant...

When I bought Battlefield: Bad Company 2 for the 360, I wasn't expecting much. At most, I expected a competent shooter that would be mildly entertaining to kill a few hours with online. However, I was completely taken aback by just how much I ended up loving everything about this game. Single player was a blast, and multiplayer (obviously) was absolutely incredible. I'd never enjoyed a game quite as thoroughly as BFBC2, and I've currently got every single achievement except for one (I think you know the one). I'd spend 24-hour stretches of my time playing the game, becoming so dedicated to mastering it that I eventually wound up consistently scoring several thousand points more than the players on either team. It was months of smooth sailing and pure fun. But then, out of nowhere... the lag.

[HEADING=1]Oh my dear sweet god, the lag.[/HEADING]

I have never, ever seen a game rendered so unplayable by latency. The games I joined were usually only half-full, and it took me about five minutes on average to put ten meters between myself and my spawn point due to rubberbanding so bad that it has inspired me to invent entirely new obscenities. Attempting to drive a vehicle of any sort would lead to marrying the front of my tank/humvee to the nearest immovable object, and don't get me started on suicidal you'd need to be to get in the pilot seat of any of the helicopters. I've been trying for several days to find a game without crippling lag, to no avail.

Initially chalking it up to a failing on my end, I immediately ran extensive tests on my connection, only to find that my connection was flawless. For comparison, I ran several other multiplayer games with absolutely zero latency. So, finally, I decided to turn to Google for answers: why the hell was this one game lagging so much? Apparently, you're lucky to not have this problem. The general consensus that I've seen thus far is that EA stops giving a shit about server maintenance a while after its release, preferring to spend the money that would've gone towards it, elsewhere. Normally, I'd be pretty passive to the "screw the customers, we've got profits to make" routine that I'm quickly becoming accustomed to seeing in the videogame industry, but this... this was a stab in the heart. If EA doesn't solve this problem (and I'm guessing they won't), I'm never buying another game from them, no matter how enticing it may be.

Now, as for the discussion: Have you ever fallen in love with a game, only to have it fall apart before your very eyes due to a gross lack of support from the companies responsible for maintaining it?

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I ran into the same sort of trouble with Bad Company 2. It seems that if I want to play the game during "peak hours" I'm forced to contend with latency that is actually more annoying than back in my Quake 1 days on a 28.8k connection. Other times the game is perfectly playable. What's more, the explanation of "peak usage causing lag" seems silly when this period shifts wildly, not just the normal evenings and weekend timeframes.

That said, I still play the game in spite of this problem. The only example that I can cite where I quit playing in disgust was Modern Warfare 2. It seemed like every week there was some new hack or exploit that I was forced to contend with, to the point that I never really knew what kind of game I was about to join.

The_Healer

Jun 17, 2009
That's a straight out lie. You will buy another EA game, its impossible not to. (Unless you want to miss a lot of very good games).

And yes, the massive delay of the Fallout 3 DLC's for the PS3 pissed me off enormously.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
any game for the PC which pandemic studios has recently released.......

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
The_Healer said:
That's a straight out lie. You will buy another EA game, its impossible not to. (Unless you want to miss a lot of very good games).

And yes, the massive delay of the Fallout 3 DLC's for the PS3 pissed me off enormously.
Shit, I just remembered that the Mass Effect series is published by EA. You got me.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
I have the same problem, on occasion. I believe its actaully my internet connection, as its laggy for other games as well.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
EA-> SCREW THE RULES, WE HAVE MONEY!
Oh dear sweet peanut butter I hope some one gets the reference.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
teutonicman said:
EA-> SCREW THE RULES, WE HAVE MONEY!
Oh dear sweet peanut butter I hope some one gets the reference.
I believe that'd be Yu-Ghi-Oh, The Abridged Series. Also the name of a rather high-profile trope on TV Tropes.

Straying Bullet said:
But Mass Effect isn't dependant on servers and all that jazz EA is very 'popular' for. It's just you and the singleplayer experience. In all honesty, nobody would deny you the right to play Mass Effect. >__>; Hush@Haters.
Well, the initial statement was less "I won't buy EA games because they'll eventually stop working", and more "I won't buy EA games, out of spite."

Apr 19, 2010
I want you to stick to your decision no matter how stupid it is.
Then we won't have to hear this again when EA sends out another game among its armies of them that isn't up to your standards.

Doinstuffman38

Dec 1, 2009
I don't play Bad Company, but as far I know, EA still is on top of publishing Mass 3, so, I guess I'm buying another EA game.

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Well since EA are responsible for the sheer brilliance that is Mirror's Edge I have to disagree but yeah, lag can kill a game and I've heard BFBC is bad for it.

ejb626

Aug 6, 2009
Crap, now I'm questioning weather I should buy this game, I was going to by it for the multiplayer but if its a lagstorm then no thanks, is anyone here playing the console version and not getting lag?

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Get over it. Plenty of games have lag, and aren't as good as people would like them to be, but you don't see a ***** thread about every company that publishes a game you don't enjoy.

Muffinthraka

Aug 6, 2009
Spore, I purchased the game at £35. Disregarding the horrible drm, I still had massive problems with it. I love the creature creator, hate Spore.
When I first played it, I was unable to access sporecasts and other online content. The graphics were appaling, the game constantly crashed, and I couldn't get passed the cell stage. Uninstalling EA download manager fixed all these problems, but then the game crashed everytime I tried to save.
Much later a patch fixed these problems, but when I reached the tribal stage the game froze. EA were incredibly unhelpful and suggested I reinstall the game (leaving me with 1 less instal).
Finally a patch also fixed this, but by now I was sick of spore. I made it to the space stage but couldn't be bothered to play anymore.
http://uk.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/spore/player_review.html?id=605807&tag=all-about%3Breview2

Gocho

Jul 2, 2010
A long time ago EA canceled MPBT 3025, a game I absolutely loved and I swore I would never give them a dime after that. I managed to go 2 years but they are involved in so many games that I was just punishing myself.

I still don't like giving them any money but a good game is still a good game regardless of previous activities that you may not agree with.