I miss Kool-Aid.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Kool-Aid used to be really good. You'd get the pack for like 50 cents add your own sugar and there you go.

Now you either have to get the juice boxes which are far more expensive, the canister of pre mixed powder and sugar which is far more expensive and only comes in like 2 flavors, or you get the little liquid capsules that have artificial sweeteners in them. It's completely ruined!

Also I never actually spent my Kool-Aid points! I saved them up for years and then they stopped redeeming them!

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Apparently, the 0.13 oz packets of unsweetened mix are still available from Walmart, clicking "more delivery and pickup options" will bring up a way to find out if they're stocked near you. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kool-Aid-Unsweetened-Cherry-Powdered-Drink-Mix-Caffeine-Free-0-13-oz-Packet/10292779

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
They have a bunch of premix flavours where I am. I agree that its way more expensive now. It started as the thing you bought because you can only drink so much ovaltine before you explode, same with that hosewater tasting orange stuff but now its almost like a 'luxury' sugar crystal drink which is so weird to say.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
You know what I miss? Fizzies. Drop a tablet into a glass of water, tablet quickly dissolves, you're left with what feels like carbonated punch. Found out about them somewhere between middle and high school, and I took a shine to them. Apparently they've been on and off the market for decades, starting in the 50s[footnote]And yikes...looking at Google, their branding/packaging from back then has not aged well[/footnote], disappearing due to regulatory issues in the 70s, resurrected in the 90s for a few years, reappeared in the 2000s, and finally discontinued again in 2016. ...And now I'm frustrated that I didn't know they were still around for the last few years. I thought they'd closed shop more than a decade ago. :/

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Never tried it. Is it solely an American thing or have I been strategically raised sheltered from just that one product with every human around in on the joke throughout life for whatever reason?
Those fizzies sound a good time though. How carcinogenic are they? Ah, can't even pretend to care, just gimme!

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Neurotic Void Melody said:
Never tried it. Is it solely an American thing or have I been strategically raised sheltered from just that one product with every human around in on the joke throughout life for whatever reason?
I think it's only available in the US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Columbia, The Philippines, Russia, and Japan. It would never catch on in Britain where we demand slightly more effort be put into making us think we're not consuming processed garbage even though we are.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Baffle2 said:
Asita said:
disappearing due to regulatory issues in the 70s
Were people by any chance overdosing on aspirin?
I dunno. It was before my time.

Wikipedia suggests it was due to the FDA banning various artificial sweeteners. After enough of them were banned, the manufacturer concluded that they could not - at the time - comply with those bans and make the drink palatable enough to be profitable.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
09philj said:
I think it's only available in the US, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Columbia, The Philippines, Russia, and Japan. It would never catch on in Britain where we demand slightly more effort be put into making us think we're not consuming processed garbage even though we are.
Ah fair enough, a little more spread out than first thought. We do require a little sophistication with our placebos. Well, some at least; I'm not so sure about the local area here. I've yet to talk to someone who even votes yet.