i miss the escapist

incandenza

Sep 1, 2010
will anyone ever mourn the escapist that i fell in love with? i can respect that it is now home to a crazy faction of single minded people of interest, but i do miss the magazine that i found by way of yahtzee, who i found by way of being poor and playing freeware horror games, and chanced into a ton of a amazing content. now, when i like to be depressed, which is sometimes strangely therapeutic, i come to the escapist, scroll the forums, scan the news, die a little bit inside.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Will a video of pugs dressed as Game of Thrones characters make you feel better?

Montezuma's Lawyer

Nov 5, 2011
I left the site before the Gamergate storm began, and only occasionally return, to look around at the wreckage.

This site is a mess now, just a puddle of what used to be a severely battered horse.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ayup.

Forums were friendlier and busier, the staff were a bit more personable and there was a ton of content.

RIP.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
incandenza said:
will anyone ever mourn the escapist that i fell in love with? i can respect that it is now home to a crazy faction of single minded people of interest, but i do miss the magazine that i found by way of yahtzee, who i found by way of being poor and playing freeware horror games, and chanced into a ton of a amazing content. now, when i like to be depressed, which is sometimes strangely therapeutic, i come to the escapist, scroll the forums, scan the news, die a little bit inside.
You can see by my join date that I've been around for a while. The Escapist hasn't changed. There's always a topic of the times that crowds the forums for months at a time and people always complain like it's the end times.

We've had Mass Effect 3, Fake Gamer Girls, Feminism, Sarkeesian, GamerGate and those are only in the past few years. Not to mention My Little Pony and the effect it had on these forums.

I do actually agree with @Zhukov though, I wish that the Staff and Mods actually participated more, seeing them in a thread here or there kinda makes them seem more distant.

incandenza

Sep 1, 2010
forum participation would almost require taking a side, though maybe two people could participate and take either side. the escapist currenty has no real mission, and obviously is saying something through recent hires and a serious lack of care or basic maintenance on the main site. i have no idea why i still come here, but the escapist was an every day destination for me for at least 5 years. i probably even bought sponsors things every now and then. i hate seeing the escapist logo when i navgate here. watch your back everyoneandbody. love you!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
vallorn said:
I do actually agree with @Zhukov though, I wish that the Staff and Mods actually participated more, seeing them in a thread here or there kinda makes them seem more distant.
Considering that whenever mods do participate some people promptly start shitting themselves inside out while howling about collusion conspiracies, I'm don't blame them one bit for standing at arms length.

As for not changing, there's absolutely no denying that forum traffic has dried up to a trickle from what it was in 2011-2012.

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
You know, I think the only thing truly consistent with the forums is the perpetuity of threads like these. Since before I even joined officially there were always people complaining about the state of the present and comparing it to an idealized vision of the past.

The escapist isn't really that changed, there have always been topics that divide and large discussions on them. Will continue to be that way.

I will agree that the staff seem less friendly and participating then before but I suppose that may be simply the result of the rise of usergroups.

StatusNil

Oct 5, 2014
The Escapist wasn't really one of my main sites before the recent unpleasantness, but yes, I truly miss gaming media before it was a hotbed of controversy mongering. Sadly, some people thought it would be a good idea to start a Culture War. Many of us tried to warn them, but they wouldn't listen.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Zhukov said:
vallorn said:
Considering that whenever mods do participate some people promptly start shitting themselves inside out while howling about collusion conspiracies, I'm don't blame them one bit for standing at arms length.

As for not changing, there's absolutely no denying that forum traffic has dried up to a trickle from what it was in 2011-2012.
They stopped participating far before those complaints arose. But I don't think this is a thread for us to discuss moderation like this so I'll leave it here.

I think it's people avoiding traditional forums in favor of "social media" which is the cause for a lot of the decrease in forum traffic. And now we are seeing Facebook beginning to become seen as uncool and Twitter beginning to move from an open platform to a curated platform I think we might see users moving from them onto the next "Big thing" when it emerges. Hopefully communities like this one can also scoop up some extra traffic from that transition period.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
I've been posting here for a long time and it doesn't seem that out of place. Controversies happen. They're pulling in new content creators.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Ah, the eternal complaint of "This forum is dieing and is at fault". I remmeber this kind of posts all the way back to 2009 when i started lurking.

Thing is, contraversies happen, they get discussed for months, take over forums, die down, new contraversy comes, cycle repeats. this happened for as long as i remmeber on the escapist. nothing new on here. Perhaps the only difference is that many oldtimers now seem to lurk more and new blood is pouring in. which is a good thing. communities that dont get new members while old members dominate end up eating themselves.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I came to this site for Zero Punctuation, Escape to the movies, Extra credits, etc. Jimquisition was a really nice addition too. And the forums did seem a bit more...intellectual when I first came here. Most shows I watched aren't here any more though, and ZP has...lost my interest a little. The only reason I still come to the forums is if I'm bored. =/

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Strazdas said:
Ah, the eternal complaint of "This forum is dieing and is at fault". I remmeber this kind of posts all the way back to 2009 when i started lurking.

Thing is, contraversies happen, they get discussed for months, take over forums, die down, new contraversy comes, cycle repeats. this happened for as long as i remmeber on the escapist. nothing new on here. Perhaps the only difference is that many oldtimers now seem to lurk more and new blood is pouring in. which is a good thing. communities that dont get new members while old members dominate end up eating themselves.
I largely agree with this, I remember when MLP was the hot topic of the day on these forums, although it is somewhat concerning how sectarian much of the new intake is. Hopefully people will leave that shit in GID where it belongs, otherwise this forum will become the perfect setting for a fated romance between a Gamergater and an SJW, whose forbidden love will inevitably end in tragedy :p

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
I miss the site this used to be. Forums were more active, and happier.
More variety in content too. Now Feed Dump, Unskippable, LRR Sketches, Jimquisition, Miracle of Sound, No Right Answer, Extra Credits, Top Five... All gone, and I wonder why I'm still here.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Eyup, the forum were much more funner when I first signed up. Heck I lurk a while and finally decided to joined when the topic were so fun/ interested that I WANTED to comment on it!