I need a Book!!!

SirDeadly

Feb 22, 2009
I'll just give you the books because I'm too tired to find the authors.
The Ranger's Apprentice series
The Temeraire series
The Night Angel Trilogy (didn't know whether or not you have read it)
The Black Prism (same author as above)
Shadow Prowler

Mogworld was good for some light reading too.

SJXarg

Sep 20, 2010
David Gemmel, it's like David Eddings (but I found it more mature/gritty) if you like fantasy
If you like sci-fi, you could always dig in to the Battletech series, it's 61 novels (plus another 25 or so if you read Dark Age).

Apr 5, 2008
Gizmo1990 said:
Hello everybody. i just finished college and I bored out of my mind!! I am set for games but I really need a book/books to read. Among my favourites are The Dresden files (have all 12 and I know about the 13th in a month) which is about a moden day wizard fighting evil, Codex Alera which is a bit like lord of the rings, Night Angle trillogy is a fantasy type book.

So any suggestions you might have would really help me out. Thanks in advance.
Congrats on finishing college. I liked the Night Angel trilogy too, fun read. You might also like the Mistborn trilogy, quite similar in style, written by Brandon Sanderson. The third book was a little weaker than the first two but overall it's an interesting world, and though some characters are a little annoying the rest more than make up for it.

But I'm really building up to Jennifer Fallon and her Tide Lords series. They're hard to find but if you can get them, the 4 books are some of the best fantasty I've ever read. The characters are simply brilliant and the story will have you hooked in no time. Cayal is one of the most interesting characters in fiction. Her "Second Sons" trilogy is also fantastic despite that it has no actual magic in it (actually that's part of the point of the story). Dirk is a brilliant protagonist.

Lastly, Fiona McIntosh and her "Odalisque" and "The Quickening" trilogies are both great reads too. They both have epic romances woven into brilliantly compelling stories and villains you'll hate with a surprising passion. You'll not regret picking any of these up.

Hosker

Aug 13, 2010
Pinkamena said:
If you like Stephen King, I can recommend "Under the Dome". It's a giant, 1400 pages or something like that. It's really good though, it's on my top-10 list of books (and I've read a lot of books).

It's about a small town that suddenly gets cut off by a mysterious imprenetable dome. Then we folow the lifes of the towns inhabitants, and how things drastically change over time, mostly due to a corrupt mayor that sees the opportunity to become a freaking tyrant.
Amazon says it's just under 900 pages. I take it that is what the Simpsons movie is based off.

OT: try The Count of Monte Cristo. Brilliant book.

Lenvoran

Apr 29, 2010
Throwin' my vote in with the "A Song of Ice and Fire" crowd:
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
A Clash of Kings
A Feast for Crows
A Dance with Dragons

As well as the Vlad Taltos Novels by Steven Brust:
Jhereg
Yendi
Teckla
Taltos
Phoenix
Athyra
Orca
Dragon
Issola
Dzur
Jhegaala
Iorich
Tiassa

Nice thing about Brust's books is you can pretty much hop into the series at any point and still enjoy it. They're all a part of a big world following the same character, but they're written in such a way that prior knowledge isn't all that necessary. Some things are kinda important and can't really be explained every time, but usually you can infer what you need to know and find out truly in another book.

foxlovingfreak

Sep 9, 2009
My picks

the stand

The dark tower seris

Under the dome

(the above are all by stephen king)

And house of the scorpine( forgot who wrote this one but it's my all time favroite book)

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Hosker said:
Pinkamena said:
If you like Stephen King, I can recommend "Under the Dome". It's a giant, 1400 pages or something like that. It's really good though, it's on my top-10 list of books (and I've read a lot of books).

It's about a small town that suddenly gets cut off by a mysterious imprenetable dome. Then we folow the lifes of the towns inhabitants, and how things drastically change over time, mostly due to a corrupt mayor that sees the opportunity to become a freaking tyrant.
Amazon says it's just under 900 pages. I take it that is what the Simpsons movie is based off.

OT: try The Count of Monte Cristo. Brilliant book.
Hm, that's weird. My version definitively had around 1300-1400 pages.

theravensclaw

Oct 13, 2010
Cogwheel said:
May I suggest Discworld? All of it. First five or six books are less good, admittedly.

Also, Jonathan Strange&Mr.Norrell is absolutely amazing, if a bit slow to start. I can elaborate on either if you like.
I agree on the discworld books (Also wheeee Dresden!) but Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is boring me to tears. I'm halfway through book 2 and not much has actually happened yet and the writing style is like watching one of those old documentaries they made you watch in school with all the interesting things cut out.

Asti

Jun 23, 2011
SouthpawFencer said:
"Good Omens", by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman: A demon and an angel who have been on Earth since the dawn of mankind discover that the Endtimes are about to begin. Neither of them is particularly eager for this, having made the mistake of starting to actually LIKE humans.
Best. Book. Ever. ;)

XxSummonerxX

May 17, 2009
I'm 16, so I don't know if you'll find these books good, but I like the Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan, The Laws of Magic, and the Septimus Heap series.

Another book I liked is called Sea of Trolls. It's based entirely around Nordic Mythology, especially Yggdrasil.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
theravensclaw said:
Cogwheel said:
May I suggest Discworld? All of it. First five or six books are less good, admittedly.

Also, Jonathan Strange&Mr.Norrell is absolutely amazing, if a bit slow to start. I can elaborate on either if you like.
I agree on the discworld books (Also wheeee Dresden!) but Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is boring me to tears. I'm halfway through book 2 and not much has actually happened yet and the writing style is like watching one of those old documentaries they made you watch in school with all the interesting things cut out.
...That bad? Sorry to hear that. Acquired taste, I suppose.

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
I know no fantasy books that are worth reading (I hate reading), but the one book that I like is:

Bill Bryson "A Short History Of Nearly Everything". Brilliant book about how scientists got to the level of science as we know it now. It might sound boring, it is told in a way that managed to drag even me through.

PlowmanMk

Oct 7, 2010
Acidwell said:
Also Magician by Raymond E. Feist.
This. After reading it the series, I cant bring myself to read any other book because they are boring in comparison.
That said, I read Mogworld and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Good book series are:
A hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy
Count of Monte Cristo (not sure if I spelled that one right -.-)
and of course Yahtzees book Mogworld is a must!
If you find some of these good you can always re-contact and see if I got other hints.
Good luck in your hunt.

fishman279

Oct 29, 2009
DrWilhelm said:
Gizmo1990 said:
Hello everybody. i just finished college and I bored out of my mind!! I am set for games but I really need a book/books to read. Among my favourites are The Dresden files (have all 12 and I know about the 13th in a month) which is about a moden day wizard fighting evil, Codex Alera which is a bit like lord of the rings, Night Angle trillogy is a fantasy type book.

So any suggestions you might have would really help me out. Thanks in advance.

A Song of Ice and Fire By George RR Martin. Like The First Law Trilogy it can get very depressing at times, but if you don't mind that and if you can keep track of the labyrinthine plot and hundreds of characters you should enjoy it greatly. It's definitely one of the best series that I've ever read.
This right here. I picked up the first one, read it in about 4 days, then went out and bought the others. Best book I've ever read.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Gizmo1990 said:
The Sound and the Fury (1929) by William Faulkner, its one of the best books of all time and my personal favourite.

Greatest quote of all time said:
I give you the mausoleum of all hope and desire...I give it to you not that you may remember time, but that you might forget it now and then for a moment and not spend all of your breath trying to conquer it.