I need a girlfriend game

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Jang said:
Skyrim. That kind of thing. Now, of course, these games are not particularly dark or complex by our standards, but to my girlfriend I am fairly certain it would be different.
Thanks in advance.
You have the answer: Skyrim.

If you're worried about complexity or difficulty, have her start on Casual and work up difficulties as she gets used to the game.

For a non-gamer, Skyrim is very open and inviting. She will never be forced to follow the main quest and can instead follow whatever quests or side plots interest her. With the ability to adjust difficulty, there won't be any artificial skill walls to overcome.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Jang said:
Recently, my girlfriend started inquire a bit more about my gaming hobby. In fact to the point where she is starting to want to play some games. However, most of what I have are some pretty complex and dark games. Assassin's Creed, Fallout, Deus Ex: Human revolution, Skyrim. That kind of thing. Now, of course, these games are not particularly dark or complex by our standards, but to my girlfriend I am fairly certain it would be different. I mean, an Xbox controller is deeply foreign to her.

So, I know that this is a horrible stereo type, but I need a girlfriend game. Something simple and fun to introduce her to the hobby. I have an xbox and a pretty boss PC, so some games that can run on those, please.

Thanks in advance.
I don't know your GF, so I don't know what art styles she likes, but I've found in the past that light-hearted games that can be played co-op are usually the best. Games like Castle Crashers, Rayman, Metal Slug, etc. Getting to play together and work to a common goal is a lot more fun than ones where you have to compete with each other.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
Bara_no_Hime said:
Jang said:
Skyrim. That kind of thing. Now, of course, these games are not particularly dark or complex by our standards, but to my girlfriend I am fairly certain it would be different.
Thanks in advance.
You have the answer: Skyrim.

If you're worried about complexity or difficulty, have her start on Casual and work up difficulties as she gets used to the game.

For a non-gamer, Skyrim is very open and inviting. She will never be forced to follow the main quest and can instead follow whatever quests or side plots interest her. With the ability to adjust difficulty, there won't be any artificial skill walls to overcome.
I agree with this completely. I know 2 non-gamer females who love Skyrim because they don't have to do anything and so they can just enjoy it. I've also noticed that a lot of females i know are really good at puzzle games so maybe find something fairly simple to play but hard to master. I'm not going to recommend you any games though...my tastes are far too unforgiving for most players :)

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
elvor0 said:
Random Fella said:
[complex and dark games. Assassin's Creed, Fallout, Deus Ex: Human revolution, Skyrim.]

Sorry, what?
Are you scared your girlfriend is too simple for the extensive complexity of Skyrim?
Is she, challenged?

But seriously, I can't speak for Deus Ex as I haven't played it, but the three other titles are extremely simple and easy to play,
Lets think about this from the perspective of someone who has never played a video game before, or any form of table top RPG. It wouldn't be about her being "challenged" it's literally that she would've never played that type of game before. Skyrim doesn't exactly do much in the tutorial department, there's a lot to take in for someone who's never played a game before. It's simple for us, but that's because we've got 15 plus of gaming under our belts. Everything in Skyrim is old hat mechanics wise.

Those games are by NO means "extremely simple" even by a gamers standards. Pacman is "extremely simple", Mario is "extremely simple". Skyrim, Assassins Creed and Deus Ex? No, not by a long shot, especially as the OP stated, for someone who DOES NOT GAME. Now that I'm a master, Metal Gear RIsing is "simple" for me even on the hardest difficulty, does that make it a simple game? Of course it doesn't.
Comparing a simple game to the likes of pacman is just pedantic, why not just give the girl a mobile phone and see if she enjoys Snake?
Games like skyrim can be picked up by anyone who has basic learning and comprehension skills, and they're very fun and casual too.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Colour Scientist said:
Assuming your girlfriend isn't a child, I wouldn't exclude games based on the chance that they might be too complicated.

Just let her have a look through your collection, pick something that appeals to her and have her try it out. If she doesn't like it, she doesn't like it and you can move on to something else. I know people who've never gamed in their lives but got really into a whole multitude of different games from a wide range of genres just because they saw other people play them and thought they looked like fun.

Sure, they weren't very good when they started but it's a trial and error thing.

It is a little stereotypical to pick a game for her just because it's simple or light-hearted. If she ends up liking a game like that, then cool but I don't think it's a requirement.
Agreed. Nothing says condescending like telling her what to play. My S/O plays games and wants to try FPSs but she doesn't like them because she sucked at it before. The truth is that she sucked at it and other people made fun of her for it.

As long as you're supportive and patient (ie. don't take the controller away because she's dying or keeps looking at her feet while shooting) she will get better naturally.

As for introductory games, I would say Portal hands down. The game isn't too long. Most of it is a tutorial. Its very entertaining. And once someone has mastered the basics of an FPS, the skills are transferable to most genres.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
as strange as it sounds, Dear Ester

It's probably the best for learning WASD keys, it's not like you can fail it, and it's not something you feel rushed to finish.
Who knows she might like it.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Random Fella said:
elvor0 said:
Random Fella said:
[complex and dark games. Assassin's Creed, Fallout, Deus Ex: Human revolution, Skyrim.]

Sorry, what?
Are you scared your girlfriend is too simple for the extensive complexity of Skyrim?
Is she, challenged?

But seriously, I can't speak for Deus Ex as I haven't played it, but the three other titles are extremely simple and easy to play,
Lets think about this from the perspective of someone who has never played a video game before, or any form of table top RPG. It wouldn't be about her being "challenged" it's literally that she would've never played that type of game before. Skyrim doesn't exactly do much in the tutorial department, there's a lot to take in for someone who's never played a game before. It's simple for us, but that's because we've got 15 plus of gaming under our belts. Everything in Skyrim is old hat mechanics wise.

Those games are by NO means "extremely simple" even by a gamers standards. Pacman is "extremely simple", Mario is "extremely simple". Skyrim, Assassins Creed and Deus Ex? No, not by a long shot, especially as the OP stated, for someone who DOES NOT GAME. Now that I'm a master, Metal Gear RIsing is "simple" for me even on the hardest difficulty, does that make it a simple game? Of course it doesn't.
Comparing a simple game to the likes of pacman is just pedantic, why not just give the girl a mobile phone and see if she enjoys Snake?
Games like skyrim can be picked up by anyone who has basic learning and comprehension skills, and they're very fun and casual too.
It's not pedantic, it's adhering to what the term "extremely simple" means; Angry Birds is a simple game, Skyrim and Assassins Creed are not. Are we using different definitions of the words "extremely" and "simple"?

I'm not saying she's not gonna be able to pick it up, just that saying Skyrim being an "extremely simple" game is frankly, bollocks. Simple to you perhaps, but certainly not a simple game, and especially not to someone whos not gamed before.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
At first I though you wanted a Date simulation. Oh well.
Also why you think are complex to her? Just let her play them. They have tutorials for a reason.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
elvor0 said:
No, I was stating they are games simple enough for any mature individual
And by correcting me by stating games you would classify as 'extremely simple' when that wasn't even my main point, is in fact, pedantic.
It's okay though, that's how these forums work

Should I have said, "Oh, a simple game for your girlfriend, did you try pacman?" No, I shouldn't have, because the girl would be bored to death and probably would take it as an insult to a game that is at 'her level of gaming'

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Random Fella said:
elvor0 said:
No, I was stating they are games simple enough for any mature individual
And by correcting me by stating games you would classify as 'extremely simple' when that wasn't even my main point, is in fact, pedantic.
It's okay though, that's how these forums work

Should I have said, "Oh, a simple game for your girlfriend, did you try pacman?" No, I shouldn't have, because the girl would be bored to death and probably would take it as an insult to a game that is at 'her level of gaming'
No, I wasn't suggesting that you should say she should play pacman, I myself am of the notion that people who want to get into gaming should play whatever they want to play and they like the look of. I'm quite sure that most mature individuals can get into any of those games if they wanted, just from the perspective of someone who has never gamed before, they are still far from "extremely simple". Because those two words in conjunction with each other are a terrible way to describe games like the ones you brought up. It's like describing something as "extremely hot" when it's lukewarm at best. Sure it still has heat on it, but it's not hot and certainly not extremely so.

I was saying that calling those games extremely simple isn't true by any stretch, that's not pedantic, it's pointing out something that's a complete fallacy. If Skyrim and Assassins Creed are "extremely simple", then what are Pacman and Angry Birds? "Super-hyper-mega-ultra-giga-quinsquillionly-more-simple-than-Skyrim simple?" Pacman and Angry Birds /are/ extremely simple, Skyrim and AC can't also be, otherwise the spectrum is fucked.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
Wow, didn't expect that many people to ignorant of the fact that people never having played a game will have difficulty in playing what we think is easy games.

Try platformers in the beginning, they aren't that hard to get into and will get her used to using the controller.
If she likes it you can gradually give here other games she might find interesting that will be harder to play.
But make sure you pick games she might find interesting, ask her what she likes.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Portal 1 and 2 when she is willing to get into first person games.

The way it gradually gets more difficult is a natural way to learn and most of the time you can take your time without a lot of pressure. A great game to get into first person games and develop the mouse/controller skills that will translate in to so many other games.

DanteRL

Jan 14, 2010
You both gonna have to test stuff, maybe is even funnier than just saying "Hey, these are games for you", go after something none of you ever played.

My GF is not a gamer, and not that into games (even though she used to have a DreamCast). I tried to go with simple, cute co-op games like LBP2 and she didn't like it. Then, one day she played Injustice with me, and found it awesome, kicking my ass mostly. Thanks to that I found out that she don't like co-op, but's really into competitive games. Recently I got the SpeedRunners early access on Steam, and we both loved it, it's really fun and if I have to recommend one, it this one.

Harrowdown

Jan 11, 2010
Something by Telltale? Very simple controls, aside from the odd QTE. Also, as their games are primarily about narrative over gameplay, it'll be closer to what she's familiar with from non-interactive mediums like TV and film, whilst still showcasing gaming's unique ability to immerse through involvement. You might also try some 2D fighters. I know quite a few non-gamers who have been able to pick up games like that very easily. I'm also tempted to recommend Minecraft, but i'm not sure about that. It's so open ended as to be potentially intimidating to someone who's unfamiliar with game worlds.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
How about not treating your girlfriend like an idiot?

None of those games you listed aren't nearly as complicated as you're making them out to be.

Ask her what she's looking for, and try and find something that fits, if she doesn't like it try another, rinse and repeat.
Agreed, just let her have a go at a few things until she finds something she enjoys and then let her go from there. It's something she's either gonna jump on once she starts or she'll know right away that she won't get into it.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Well what dose she like the look of? If you know what sort of thing interests her you can go from there. I'd say be careful with first person games and anything requiring the use of both analog sticks at once. A lot of people say portal but in my experience portal is not actually a good beginning game because for people not used to controlling movement in first person it can be very frustrating when you know how to do the puzzle but have difficulty pulling it off.
Co op could either be good or terrible. For me co-op in genres I don't know at all would be stressful because of the feeling of holding someone back, I prefer to mess around at my own pace while work things out and I don't like people watching me try and do something I've never done before and think I'll be bad at but she might be different. Of course it will only work if you are patient and aren't going to end up blasting ahead doing everything. If you are going to do co-op a game where the other player can drop in and out (like diablo or torchlight) would probably be best.

Zeles

Oct 3, 2009
Dude, Fallout 3 or New Vegas are a fine place to start. Just sit down with her and look through your games library. Does this seem interesting? How 'bout this?
Pick something and she can play it and you can watch. It'll be fun!