I need a little help finding a purdy hat.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Yes, hello again, everyone! It's a very, VERY long time since last I showed my face around these parts, I know. What can I say, life has picked up and I've had to adjust. But I haven't forgotten about you all, heavens no. You see, I need some assistance from people who hopefully have more know-how about fashion nitty-gritty than I do and can help me locate a particular headpiece.

Here's the story [small](of a man named Brady...)[/small]: I'm putting together an outfit for the next time I get the chance to go to a convention. I figured I would go for something nice and simple (at least I THOUGHT it would be simple): Atop the Fourth Wall's host, Lewis Lovhaug, a.k.a. Linkara. [http://thatguywiththeglasses.wikia.com/wiki/Linkara]
[small](Let's kindly disregard the fact that there's a slight... um... "melatonin imbalance" between him and myself.)[/small]

Now, some of the items I've already found are in transit as we speak, so not all is lost. However, here's the tricky part for me: I am having an INSANELY hard time finding his trademark hat, which, in my opinion, will make or break the outfit entirely.

(These will be updated as I find more helpful shots of it.)

I have already attempted to look for the more general terms for the hat via Google (brown fedora, brown trilby, etc.) but so far, nothing has been close enough. I figure I need to get more specific, but I have no clue exactly what terms I should be looking for to describe this hat in particular. Here's what I know about it thus far:

* It has a ribbed texture from the looks of it. EDIT: And based on a recent search I've done, I'm pretty certain that the material is straw. Don't quote me on that, though. Yep, I was wrong on that. A new creenshot has revealed to me that straw was a WAY-OFF guess.
* It originally had a pin of a fisherman next to a ship wheel on its side.
* The brim is thicker around than that of a regular fedora and seems to naturally bowl upwards (unless that's simply a sign of age)

...Okay, yeah, I realize this is a pretty silly thing to make a thread about, but I really do need help with my search, lest I constantly waste valuable money on items that LOOK similar in a thumbnail, but don't hold up on closer inspection. So if anyone knows anything about hats that could possibly lighten my load, or heck, if you're somehow able to MAKE a similar enough costume piece, it would not go unappreciated, believe me!

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Heeey, long time, no see!

And hats are always a good conversation piece. But I have to wonder if you've tried Emailing Linkara yourself for some advice?

Still, I think that between the yellowish tint of his videos and the years-long useage, the hat's gotten its own distinct shape and tone. I'd say just find something that has a vaguely similar shape and is in tune with the rest of your outfit.
The look and a comic book in hand would definitely clear enough for people to get what you're going for.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Erana said:
Heeey, long time, no see!

And hats are always a good conversation piece. But I have to wonder if you've tried Emailing Linkara yourself for some advice?

Still, I think that between the yellowish tint of his videos and the years-long useage, the hat's gotten its own distinct shape and tone. I'd say just find something that has a vaguely similar shape and is in tune with the rest of your outfit.
The look and a comic book in hand would definitely clear enough for people to get what you're going for.
Hiya, didn't know you were still around! Good to see ya!

Yes, I have emailed Lewis twice now, actually. He answered the first one last month, but I'm still waiting on a reply from the second, so I don't wanna seem like a pest by emailing him AGAIN within 10 days. Sadly, I didn't ask about the hat the second time either, since I thought I had it covered. Not so much, it turns out.

As for why I'm being so picky? Well, this is my first attempt as cosplaying ever (second attempt at gathering the needed clothing, though - I tried for Ethan Mars from Heavy Rain before Gen-con this year but didn't get everything together in time). Plus, I really admire Lewis, he's tied with Neil Patrick Harris at #1 on my list of "celebrities I'd love to meet". So if I'm going to emulate him, I wanna go whole hog on this and not just settle. I've got plenty of time to get everything together, so I figure "why go for 'close enough' when you can go the extra mile and really wow 'em?" Heck, I've already got his communicator watch (the White Ranger's from MMPR), his "Miller Time" pocket watch, his Magic Gun is ordered and on the way, I'm looking into new glasses to match his gold-rimmed ones, and I even plan on building my own Dragon Dagger like he did by following his guide.

Hey, when I commit to things, I don't go half-way. >B|

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
There's been a minor update to the OP, since I've come across a SLIGHTLY better picture to go off of than before.