I need a new anime

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Hmmm. Nobody has recommended Mahou Shoujo Madoka yet. One of the weirdest and most interesting animes I've yet seen. It's in the 'magical girl' genre (as the name implies...) but it's a psychological thriller. Absolutely excellent. I really don't want to say any more as it's a show that should absolutely be watched without preconception, but good grief, I recommend it to anybody with an interest to anime.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Deskimus Prime said:
In a world full of people with the firepower to level cities, he punches people in the face. Especially women. He punches a lot of girls.

It's manlier than it sounds.
Such misfortune!

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
MetaKnight19 said:
Most of the anime I tend to watch are harem-based, so I might not be any good at recommendations regarding your requirements, but here goes:

How about High School of the Dead, yes it is as silly as it sounds but I'm liking it at the moment (I've only seen one episode so far). Admittedly the story is about as generic as you can get. Zombie outbreak, people trying to survive zombie outbreak, you can piece it all together really. There were some action sequences, if you count killing zombies with baseball bats and zombies ripping high-schoolers apart action sequences.

I'm kicking myself at the moment, but the only other anime I can think of that may fit your requirements is Rosario Vampire. It's kind of got a harem thing going on, more formulaic in the first season. It has a sort of 'Monster of the Week' in most of the episodes although it does get better in the later episodes, the story is better explained, and also introduces hard-hitting elements such as deceit and betrayal between the main characters. The second season is definitely better if you want a more rewarding storyline, it gets really good in the last two episodes. Of course, there are quite a lot of panty shots and innuendo, but I guess (judging from which anime's I've seen) it wouldn't be a harem anime without them.

I've sort of got a soft spot for Rosario Vampire since it was the first anime I avidly watched since Cowboy Bebop, which was years ago.
You should really read the manga for rosario vampire its phenomenal.

Boredguy501 said:
This is my first post everyone, please be nice.
I like to think of myself as an anime fan, but lately I've struggled trying to find a new one to start watching. I have seen all the Dragonball, including Z and GT, series, as well as all of Naruto, Bleach, and Fullmetal Alchemist. I started Death Note but lost interest after the "L" arc was over. I prefer shows with a good story as well as a decent amount of action.
So any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Since you like action anime I suggest you watch getbackers and watch it dubbed because it fits more with its theme.

And all the voices fit the characters.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
Welcome tho the NHK is a really good anime, not very actiony though.

If you want an action anime with a fairly nice story watch Hajime no Ippo.

NickKuroshi0

Dec 23, 2010
My top favorite is Toaru Majutsu no Index, has a good story and plenty of action, comedy, etc.
If you want something else here is some others:
Fairy Tail
Darker than Black
Mightiest disciple kenichi
katekyo hitman reborn
persona trinity souls
omamori himari
chrno crusade
black lagoon
higurashi
CANAAN
kore wa zombie desu ka?
angel beat
shakugan no shana
DN Angel
yumekui merry
freezing
infinite stratos
disgaea
burst angel
shiki
mushishi
black cat
this ugly, yet beautiful world
xxxHolic
Nabari no Ou
Soul Eater
Clannad
Lucky Star
Haruhi Suzumiya
Toradora
Durarara!
Sayonara, Zetsubou Sensei
Baccano!
Natsume Yuujinchou
Princess Resurection
murder princess
Sands of Destruction
Trigun
Fooly Cooly
11 eyes

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Boredguy501 said:
ok!! you have watch at least 5 episodes of each of the ones i´m mentioning before killing them off, some start rather slow, others jump right in the action, but all of them are worth it, and they are not as popular as they should

Judging by the kinds of anime you watch, i would recommend that you finish the whole Death Note, there are a couple twists here and there that actually change the pace in an amazing way

also, i would suggest you to check out "Gun Grave" think "The Godfather" meets "Resident Evil", its an amazing story following two orphan rats (or should i say rascals?), the "brains" and the "Muscle" figthing from the "street gangs" all the way to the top of the most powerfull Mafia/Corporation, it has some awesome sequences and the story is really easy to follow, making you relate and even fall in love with the ideals and way of thinking of the characters, 26 episodes, so its waaaaay shorter than what you are used to watch, but believe me, its worth it

"Blood +" is one of those series that are "hit or miss" but there are some strokes of briliance mixed in there, if you really want to enjoy it, watch it in 3 or 4 episodes at a time, it goes really really slow, and if you have the patience you migth like it 50 episodes, but to be fair, it would had being better with just the halve of them

"Trinity Blood" this is one of my favourites, imagine the apocaliptic future invaded by creatures, which already appeared in the lore and mysticism of human race, so they called them "Vampires", you have to actually see it with your own eyes, its just incredible 24 episodes

heh, two Vampire series, let me just point you to "Full Metal Alchemist" in a world where the alchemy is common practice, two brothers try to bring to back her mother trough a forbiden ritual, but in the process the younger of the two loses his body, so the older kid gives his arm and leg and manages to attatch the soul of his brother into a full suit of armour... quite a lengty story, it doesnt stop and shows you just how horrible people can be, a good recomendation for any kind of anime enthusiast there are two versions of the anime, the first one is the one i watched, the second one i havent had the time to search for it, but its called "brotherhood" and follows the events of the manga more to the letter, i imiagine the later is more gruesome than the first one,FMA: 51 episodes all worth watching, FMAB: 61 episodes, i would recommend you watch the second one, oh! and the movies of course.

"Speed Grapher" all i was able to say after i saw it was "HOLY SHIT!! DID THAT JUST HAPPENED!? WTF IS THAT!? OMG HE JUST PULLED THAT GUYS HEAD OFF!!!" a secret society that deals with the most powerfull people in the world, a little girl with the ability to grant you your most deep and secret wish, sex, violence, and a stupid photographer caught in the middle of it all, it wasnt what i imagined from the name, and i enjoyed it every seccond of it, 24 episodes

from 2011, there are comming up 3 anime series that break the mold of some of its counterparts currently i have only found up to episode 6 subtitled

"Infinite Stratos" Japan has developed an "exo-squeleton" and began using it in "sports events" because of the limmited technology which the creator refused to create enough for an army, this suits can only be worn by woman, and the balance on power is tilting towards them, but things change when a 15 years old boy manages to activate by accident the suit of his sister, and as such is forced to assist an all girls school just for the purpose of becoming the first male pilot from Japan

"Mahō Shōjo Madoka Magika" ok! have you heard of the genre "magical school girls?", well, this series take that concept and trows it out the window, actually showing how things could work in a more "realistic" way, it starts rather stupid actually, but in episode 3 it gives a twist that makes you realize "this isnt the fluffy pink cute anime i thought it was", amazing story up to what i have seen

"Freezing" i actually have NO IDEA what this one is about... but i have seen enough info in the web to know that its worth watching

hope my suggestion was of some use (let me know please) and if it wasnt, tell me what kind of things you like and i can look around to see what i can find

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
internetzealot1 said:
Gundam 00. Not sure if the fact that I'm the first to mention it is a good or a bad sign.
I was about to recommend it but then i saw your post.. I`m not really a fan of mechas but this one is pretty good ,i`m at the 8th episode of season 2 right now. The animation is well done and fight scenes are pretty damn good ,story isn't that bad either. It's about an organization that seeks to eradicate war in the world by intervening in conflicts between various nations with their superior technology ,as you can imagine that is easier said than done.

Also i would recommend Ergo proxy ,didn't see anyone mentioning it or maybe i was just too lazy to look.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergo_Proxy

Code Geass is one of my favorites ,i probably haven't seen so many plot twists in any other anime (well maybe in 'death note').
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_Geass

Chainsaws_of_War_2

Jan 15, 2009
Loving all the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann love in this thread, I don't see that often enough in these suggestion threads.

In my opinion, the top three MUST-SEE anime would have to be:

1. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
2. Code Geass
3. Elfin Lied

And after absorbing all the awesome out of those, you should watch Higurashi no naku Koro to make your skin crawl and your mind completely fucked.

Tomany2

Jun 17, 2008
LOL i just posted a thread like this... ill tell you what i like as well... and i am also looking for something to watch... here is my list.

5 CM per second, Air TV, Azumanga Daioh, Bakemonogatari, Beck: MCS, Chobits, Claymore, Code Geass R1, Code Geass R2, Darker than Black, Darker than Black : Ryussei no Gemini, DearS, Elfen Lied, Eureka 7, Fooly Cooly, Fruits Basket, Ghost Hunt, Girls Bravo, Higashi no Eden, Highschool Of The Dead, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai, Higurashi no Naku Koro Rei, Initial D First stage, Initial D second stage, Initial D third stage, Initial D fourth stage, Kiss x Sis, K-on!, K-on!!, Love Hina, Love Hina again, Lovely Complex, Lucky Star, Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch, Monster, Mushishi, Ookami Kakushi, School Days, Seikon No Qwasar, Shakugan no Shana, Shakugan no Shana 2, Shakugan no Shana S, Shuffle, Shuffle memories, Spirited away, Sumomomo Momomo, Ponyo, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Toradora.

so yeah... there is my recommendations.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
Marik2 said:
I have read the manga and you're right, it is phenomenal. Unfortunately due to monetary restraints as of late, I've only been able to buy and read up to volume 8. Even so, it is awesome and when I get more money income I'll start buying them again.

[sub]When's payday again? Friday? Sweet, off to Amazon![/sub]

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
MetaKnight19 said:
Marik2 said:
I have read the manga and you're right, it is phenomenal. Unfortunately due to monetary restraints as of late, I've only been able to buy and read up to volume 8. Even so, it is awesome and when I get more money income I'll start buying them again.

Damn I feel old, Im like way past that in season 2 of the manga.

Man it gets extremely deep with the back story of Moka's past.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
Marik2 said:
MetaKnight19 said:
Marik2 said:

Damn I feel old, Im like way past that in season 2 of the manga.

Man it gets extremely deep with the back story of Moka's past.
Awesome, sounds like I'll definitely have to get the other volumes then.

One Seven One

Feb 5, 2009
Kyouran Kazoku Nikki.
It's one of the weirdest animes I've seen it is rather good.

Demonbane.
I've seen a little bit of the first episode and I though it was pretty good.

Higurashi no nake koro ni.
Bloody, gory, and just plain awesome.

Cromartie High School.
I think it's very funny.

And Paprika.
It's a movie about an invention that is able to send people into their own dreams and able for others to go in them to, I think it's a really good movie.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Well, there's Neon Genesis Evangelion, but it'll probably scare the Christ out of you...

pyramid head grape

[Game-Over]
Feb 4, 2011
Darker than black (subbed)
One piece (subbed)
Hitman reborn (subbed)
D. gray man (subbed)
Code geass (english)
Black cat(subbed)
Hellsing ultimate (subbed)

Rune342

Aug 26, 2008
You seem to have mostly a mainstream action preference. I recommend:
Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann(fighting robots and the sound of physics screaming in pain)
Code Geass(Guy who wants change gains power. Similar to Death Note, but this doesn't lose steam half way through.)
Darker than Black(People called contractors with special powers)
Fairy Tail(Mages join guilds, and go out on jobs)

If you feel like trying something different, try The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. It's what finally broke me out of my mainstream rut, and showed me that just because there isn't much action or fighting, it doesn't mean the anime can't be amazing. (Yes, my avatar is from Haruhi.)

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
Try Kanon. Sad, sad crap. Possibly Easily sadder than Clannad in my opinion...