I need a new boardgame!

mrvenom

Jan 3, 2010
Like the title says, i need a new boardgame for my "boardgames and beer" nights with my friends.. I already own Arkham horror (awesome game if you have the time for it) and The Resistance(fun with a lot of people in the same room).
I am thinking of buying Relic (the warhammer 40k version of talisman), but i never played talisman before and i feel that the setting would be the only thing i'd like. Plus it's pretty expensive. So i have 2 questions:

1) Is relic a good game to play with some friends and alcohol.

2) If not, does anyone have some other good english boardgames with a horror/sf/action setting with nice materials? The price does not matter.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I have no idea how good Relic is, but I can recommend Betrayal at House on the Hill. Everybody starts on the same team, exploring a house, collecting items and omens. Once a certain number of omens have been collected, one person becomes the traitor. New rules and objectives are then introduced for both the traitor and everybody else, which are different every time depending on which omen is obtained last and which room it is obtained in. It's a lot of fun, and is often dramatically different each game.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
ohnoitsabear said:
I have no idea how good Relic is, but I can recommend Betrayal at House on the Hill. Everybody starts on the same team, exploring a house, collecting items and omens. Once a certain number of omens have been collected, one person becomes the traitor. New rules and objectives are then introduced for both the traitor and everybody else, which are different every time depending on which omen is obtained last and which room it is obtained in. It's a lot of fun, and is often dramatically different each game.
Damn it, I literally clicked on the thread to recommend that. And here I thought BaHotH was obscure enough that I would be the first one, but nope! Ninja's in the first response.

Ah well, I do have to compliment you on your taste in board games.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
I don't know about Relic, but Agents of S.M.E.R.C.H(though I guess isn't quite CF looks a lot like Arkham Horror. But if it's warhammer version of Talisman it does sound like a pretty good game. I'm looking at a let's play of it and it looks pretty good so far.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Last Night On Earth.
I don't know how many people you have, but it works best with 3-6. One/Two people control the zombies, and everyone else controls the heroes. There are a bunch of different game modes, and the board is randomly determined at the start of every game.
There's also a bunch of extra pieces that are there just to create house rules (like a book or a tractor that are never used in the given modes) and house game types.

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
Ive heard good things about pandemic, and Flux isn't really a board game but it's a fun little card game that can eat away some time. I'd go with Oz Flux or Cthulhu Flux, since they have a card type or 2 not present in other versions that spice up the game greatly.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Space Alert i will recommend. It requires you to have a laptop to play it for the audio track, but it's the closest thing to a real time strategy board game i've come across.

Basically, you and your team have to defend your space craft from randomish invaders in real time as the threat approaches. Is a lot of fun, can get very chaotic, and is different in the fact that you have to work as a team playing instead of playing against one another.

Lots of DLC available for extra missions, and i believe a mission creator is available also.

No two games even with the same mission track ever quite play out the same, as the actual threats are random even if the time they appear is not.

Love the game and have a ball playing it with my family and friends.

Or.. Captcha seems to think you should buy the price is right board game: "Come on down".

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Sid Meier's railroad tycoon is a board game I love. You have my blessing.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Go and check out Will Wheatons youtube series Tabletop. Tons of ideas for you there, and hilarious to watch too.

Nuclear_Suspect

Jun 1, 2010
MUNCHKIN QUEST! [http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/munchkinquest/index2.html]

A fun 'little' game (Takes up a lot of space depending on the dungeon layout) and it works wonders when beer is introduced as well.

For those who dont know, Munchkin is satire RPG where its a race to get to level 10 and beat the boss, you CAN play together but in the end there can only be one winner, so backstab your friends and try to have an ace up your sleeve for when they backstab you.

/EDIT

Checked Wil Wheatons TableTop and here they play 'Munchkin' (Note 'Munchkin Quest' is a proper tabletop with more rules/features)

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
Talisman is a roll and move game that takes too long to play for what it is. I've heard that Relic fixes some of Talisman's problems, but they're still basically the same game.

Since you like The Resistance, you might also like the Battlestar Galactica board game. It's similar to Resistance in that some players are secretly Cylons who are trying to sabotage the human players. It's best with 5 players, or 6 with the "no sympathiser" variant rules. The social deduction part feels very similar in both games, but Galactica has a lot more going on besides that. And you don't even need to be familiar with the TV show to enjoy the game, although there is a lot of flavour text and stuff like that for those who have seen the show.

Basically, if I want to play a bit heavier game, Galactica is one of my favourites, and if I just want a quick social game, I go for Resistance.

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
What could be better than good old Risk? There are so many different types of Risk now you can probably find one themed to your liking; I recommend LOTR Risk, personally. Very long but very fun and strategic (luck) with elements of diplomacy, war, etc.

C'mon, it's Risk.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I'm a HUGE fan of this one:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/36218/dominion

It's kinda like a mix of MTG and Settlers.

I also love this one:
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/10547/betrayal-at-house-on-the-hill

The game changes every time you play it.

I should also say I generally don't like board games much these days because either they are stupid like Monopoly and Life, or they are multi-hour marathons that have a billion rules and make you sit there for long periods of time waiting for your turn. I'd prefer to just play a videogame then. Both of these games have deep gameplay without a lot of rules and a very fast turn time.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Llil said:
Since you like The Resistance, you might also like the Battlestar Galactica board game. It's similar to Resistance in that some players are secretly Cylons who are trying to sabotage the human players. It's best with 5 players, or 6 with the "no sympathiser" variant rules. The social deduction part feels very similar in both games, but Galactica has a lot more going on besides that. And you don't even need to be familiar with the TV show to enjoy the game, although there is a lot of flavour text and stuff like that for those who have seen the show.

Basically, if I want to play a bit heavier game, Galactica is one of my favourites, and if I just want a quick social game, I go for Resistance.
Yes, Galactica is awesome. This is probably the most tense board game I've ever played. Everybody should totally check it out.

Fleischer

Jan 8, 2011
recurve6 said:
What could be better than good old Risk? There are so many different types of Risk now you can probably find one themed to your liking; I recommend LOTR Risk, personally. Very long but very fun and strategic (luck) with elements of diplomacy, war, etc.

C'mon, it's Risk.
I used to love Risk, but it can take ages to resolve and often ends in bitterness. On the other hand, Risk Legacy has victory options that let the competition go on without having to be a dick to your friends. Also, you get to customize the board when you win!

I'll second Small World. It may appear childish, but the game can be quite intense.

Battlestar Galactica is great for social interplay. If you like Resistance, then I'd imagine you'd like the BSG board game.

Also, if you like 4X games, like Master of Orion, then pick up Eclipse. It's got the same depth at Twilight Imperium, but it can be played in under two hours.

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
The Game of Thrones board game is a ton of fun. Very strategic, no reliance on luck, requires a lot of diplomacy and backstabbing from each player. You don't even need to watch the show in order to play it (though it probably makes it more fun).

ellers07

Feb 24, 2013
F-I-D-O said:
Last Night On Earth.
I don't know how many people you have, but it works best with 3-6. One/Two people control the zombies, and everyone else controls the heroes. There are a bunch of different game modes, and the board is randomly determined at the start of every game.
There's also a bunch of extra pieces that are there just to create house rules (like a book or a tractor that are never used in the given modes) and house game types.
I would definitely recommend Last Night on Earth as well.

There is another game by the same company (Flying Frog Productions) called A Touch of Evil that I like even more. It's set during the start of the 19th century and you and your friends choose from a range of characters and then you track down a particular monster (A vampire, werewolf, witches) and their particular minions. You can play it in a group or with just two people. My wife and I absolutely love it.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I thoroughly enjoy Cosmic Encounter, and Seven Wonders.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_Encounter
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_Wonders_(board_game)
Those are for larger groups.
Don't know anything for smaller groups though. For two to three people I recommend Magic. Can't go wrong.
Mutineer is fun, but you need someone who has either memorized the rules or speaks German, as there isn't an American version.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/82517/a-rich-and-tricky-to-learn-card-game-of-double-gue
https://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=011097