I need a new MMORPG

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Ok, seriously, I am looking for something standard as in, going back to MMO roots. I wanna explore a dungeon with my firends, I wanna stumble across some rare items, I want to fight monsters, I want that classic MMO experience! The Neosteam servers have shut down, Maplestory is too damn easy now, RF got bogus. HELP ME!

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
If the game play you are looking for is the classic click/tab combat then i don't know, but for the broad idea of dungeon, and social, an just the basic what separated an MMO from a normal rpg. Personally me and my friend play RaiderZ and Tera, but I have Dabbled in Atlantica Online and Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine as well. Atlantica is like a classic JRPG and since i play alot of those I had fun with it, same with SMT Imagine, that though is a bit unpolished and very grindy but if you like alot of dungeon running it is a good game. I cant speak for the Atlantica or SMT Inagine too much shince even though i liked them I would have prefered to have an irl firend to play with and my friend doesnt like those twos style. The first 2, well Tera has been discused alot so ill leave you to find that, RaiderZ is like a Monster Hunter game but a little more simplistic but it is grindy and you will have to repeat dungeons to be able to get the best gear but it is a lot of fun and i feel that while not as complex as other MMOs it is more reliant on your skill but is not to twitchy so you have some more time to think and plan even in a fight.

Edit: ok i may have been unclear Atlantica is like a classic JRPG, but SMT Imagine is liek the target hotkey mmo. And forgive the grammar but it is 3 in the morning for me.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Currently greatly enjoying TERA myself.

It's not particularly deep but it manages to combine classic MMO mechanics very well with action-combat as well as a decent amount of interesting monsters to fight. It would match your desire of just going out with friends doing dungeons and finding items if you enjoy the action-combat as well.

It's got a distinct style to it though that some may find offensive. Most female armors tend to go by the 'less is more' design philosophy and both Castanic and High Elf males often seem ready to join up with a boys band, shirts optional.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I'll second/third Tera, and Spiral Knights may be worth a look at as well (it's basically a Dungeon Crawler MMO)

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Helps to know what you have played before. Can you give us a short list or something, that way you won't get people telling you to play something you're bored of :D

Guild Wars 2? I'm not an MMO person, have always tried but this is the first one to really grab me, it's fun and I like how the story is handled as well.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Well I could suggest a few that have already been said or I could send you over to The Escapists sister site Warcry.com which is specifically for MMOs. It's got a list of most of the MMOs out right now along with reviews of some and new information on others.
Basically it's been made to help anyone looking for an MMO so you should check it out.

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
Mmmmm I tried raiderz and it got me hooked for a couple of weeks but, when you get near end game it gets kind of boring cause the dungeon grinding, it's a good game give it a try, tera is the best mmorpg in my personal opinion right now so yeqah also back up the tera suggestion, also, you could try wizardry....... it's a bit retro in mechanics, but it's also a dificult game you can perma die there ummm i'm enyoing this one a lot.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
How about Eve Online? It isn't for everyone but if you go in with an open mind you can find all the experiences you described just in a space setting. Eve has a particularly good exploration mechanic as well, that is only going to be getting better with the next expansion in June.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
I'm waiting for one of these new mmos, Elder scrolls online, wild star and whatnot. I can't go back to world of warcraft and I really don't want to play runescape or eve online.

Robert Read

Aug 31, 2012
The Neverwinter Beta opens up on the 30th its looking to be a really good Action MMORPG a tad instanced in places but its definately work a try.

Josiahfk

Apr 28, 2013
Final Fantasy XI
New expansion just came out last month but it's all endgame content for the most part

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Haseo21 said:
Ok, seriously, I am looking for something standard as in, going back to MMO roots. I wanna explore a dungeon with my firends, I wanna stumble across some rare items, I want to fight monsters, I want that classic MMO experience! The Neosteam servers have shut down, Maplestory is too damn easy now, RF got bogus. HELP ME!
Honestly, I'd wait for Wildstar or the unveil of Titan. Those are your two best bets for "that classic MMO experience". ESO is looking a little bit shaky, but I suppose that's a possibility as well.

I know "waiting" is probably not the solution you're looking for, and Wildstar is probably at least 6 months out and Titan at least 2 years out, but I don't know that there's another MMO out there I'd recommend without hesitation. GW2, TOR and WoW are probably the best on tap right now. The first is NOT "the classic MMO experience" by any stretch of the imagination, the 2nd is deeply flawed and shackled with a terrible business model, and the third is in steady decline.

miketehmage

Jul 22, 2009
WoW is on the throne for a reason. I'd recommend it. I won't deny its past it's best but its better than any other MMO I've tried.

Aug 19, 2010
Played WoW for 3 years, and it was great. I really think you should give it a try.

Played the beta and alpha of Defiance and I absolutely loved it, so go get that too.

And I picked up Guild Wars 2 today (insert obligatory slowpoke meme here), and what i've seen so far, I like.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Have you tried LOTRO? Vast world to explore, amazing atmosphere and the best community I've ever encountered in an MMO.
It's not for everyone though. A lot of people feel that the combat is slow(most skills are queued rather than instant), but if you look past that and the out of date character models you could have tons of fun.
I've played it almost daily for three years and have just recently gotten fed up with it. The last expansion was way too grindy and I've played with all classes to max level or close to it, some classes more than once, so there's not much left for me to do.

If you're intrested I can tell you more about it and it's F2P system.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
Okay, so the two I would tell you to check out are:

Guild Wars 2 - Because it is a fantastic mmo. Quest system is fantastic, has tons of loot, lots of good times to be had. And I think the price is a lot lower than before.

The Secret World - Because it is a fantastic mmo and even though it doesn't fit your exact preferances, it has pretty decent combat, a fantastic quest system, and badass dungeons. Also, it's fairly cheap, 24 dollars on GMG if you use their discount code.

These are paid, yes, but still, fantastic games. I would also say wait it out for wildstar, that looks to be what you're looking for, check out Totalbiscuits preview of it.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I will also say that Wildstar looks good, BUT it's not out yet and to be honest I have no idea when it will be released. It's in the ongoing limbo of "sometime this year" which seems to have been going on for a couple of years now. It's in early closed beta at the moment though, so I'm guessing either late this year or early next year despite all positive forecasts (I tend to be a skeptic when it comes to MMOs). That said I don't remember if I've seen anything about Wildstar's planned business model or anything of that sort.

As far as FTP games go, I've been mostly playing the ones by Cryptic Studios, largely due to their mechanic by which you can obtain paid points by trading in game currencies (Dilithium, Questionite, Astral Diamonds) for them, making just about anything obtainable if you put in the effort, a good marketing gimmick because it's also gotten me to spend a fairly substantial amount of money on them. As someone who has done Alpha, Beta, and is now playing after launch (headstart) I can say Neverwinter is a good game BUT it remains to be seen how well it will fare in the long term. They seem primed to have it succeed better than "Star Trek Online" (which nearly died, but then came back in a huge way and is now one of the big FTP success stories, bigger than even City Of Heroes was in it's prime for Cryptic) but whether that will be the case remains to be seen.

The Secret World is a good "one time fee to play" game, but is fairly low on content IMO, and the endgame is a bit hard to break into. I kind of drifted away from it when my cabal fell apart part way through Nightmares, and I didn't want to go through the frustration of finding another, similar, group.

The Old Republic Online has improved substantially since launch IMO, but it's "free to play" gimmick is more or less a "pay for everything" model, where they seem intent on forcing you into a subscription model. I stupidly spent a fairly large pile of money trying to unlock an account to the point where it would be "free to play" only to find that some things they game does to you cannot be overcome, and even after spending a couple hundred dollars your still going to
be a second class citizen at best. Sad because I always really wanted to like that game, but it's always disappointed me.

My advice would probably be to mess around with Neverwinter for a bit, and then see if Wildstar is out by the end of the year. That said, I'm not ready to sing the praises of "Wildstar" due to never having seen that one in action, and getting burned by too many MMOs over the years. A lot depends on how much content it launches with, and of course what their business model is going to be like, I expect to pay something for an MMO, but honestly I've noticed companies getting too greedy nowadays. Not to mention the guys running Wildstar are NCsoft, who are the guys who have pretty much run a number of MMOs into the ground, most recently "City Of Heroes/Villains" which pretty much got axed without much warning or justification, claims being that it wasn't profitable enough, but at the same time they ironically have been unwilling to talk to anyone about picking it up (and several companies have tried, including the original developer... Cryptic, and their new Perfect World patron apparently). Of course then again there are wierd rumors about that one as well, the game being haunted/cursed, and some borderline creepypasta type stuff none of which gives much in the way of details. I've kind of been hoping CoX would become MMO gaming's first real "urban legend" but it doesn't seem like it will even live on that way. :)

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Try to get yourself in Marvel Heroes closed Beta. It's a superhero Diablo-esque MMO and it's awesome!

Or just wait for open beta.

Star Trek Online is also nice if you don't want to pay anything. I just love space battles in that game.

May 28, 2009
If you are gonna pay for something go for Guild Wars 2. It is a nice fun game that won't punish you if you drop out of the game for a few months. Combat is fun too :p

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
I'm going to be boring and predictable. But Warcry [http://www.warcry.com]deserves a visit.

WoW has been king for almost a decade for a reason. If you haven't played it and don't want to, fair enough. But it's a damn good classic MMO. I am optimistic for titan.

GW2 is an interesting prospect, personally love it but don't find it compelling like WoW (or how maplestory used to be). It's worth a look though.

Then you have Tera, which I've not yet played but I hear good things about from people with far more MMO experience than me.

TOR is free(ish) and probably worth a punt if you're up for a traditional MMO with some interesting quirks and a great setting.

There's the older F2P success stories like LOTRO and DDO, as well as thousands more that are easy to try out.

aside from that? The future is bright my friend.