I need a new MMORPG

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
I'll add my voice to recommending GW2. One-time purchase/no monthly fee, fun combat, good stories, awesome art, and It really captures the part of MMO'ing I find fun, which is exploring new areas and wandering around finding adventure rather than grinding.

If you really just want to do some dungeon running, give DDO a try. That's pretty much what that game is all about.

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
Josiahfk said:
Final Fantasy XI
New expansion just came out last month but it's all endgame content for the most part
ahmmm... sorry to get off topic here but, can you play FF XI F2P ?? is it in english?, sorry for going offtopic.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
Drauger said:
Josiahfk said:
Final Fantasy XI
New expansion just came out last month but it's all endgame content for the most part
ahmmm... sorry to get off topic here but, can you play FF XI F2P ?? is it in english?, sorry for going offtopic.
No it is still a subscription but it has been in english since early in the 2000's like in the area of 2002-2004. YOu can get it off steam or depending on your tastes I think it is still playable and the new expansion obtainable, some where for PS2 or Xbox 360. That i don't know for sure, but i throw that in as trivia in that yes it is an MMO for console.

Josiahfk

Apr 28, 2013
Drauger said:
Josiahfk said:
Final Fantasy XI
it's in many languages including english yeah and since the new expansion came out this month you can find it most stores in North America. (walmart best buy etc, or online like amazon.com etc)
Yeah it was one of the few groundbreaking MMO back then which let players worldwide play freely together back then.
About 10 dollars a month to play

Josiahfk

Apr 28, 2013
Playing it on the PC does have a lot of benefits though and most prefer it, but technically yeah you could exclusively play on consoles if one so desired

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Try signing up for the Wildstar beta. They've got some pretty interesting ideas for how to vary up levelling content with the different paths (independent of class, you choose whether you want your game to be combat heavy, exploration heavy, or social, and they change what you experience in the world), and they're also trying to go old school with their endgame having 40 man raids.

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
@Prime_Hunter_H01 @Josiahfk

Thanks for the answer guys, I'll have to check it xD

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
Haseo21 said:
Ok, seriously, I am looking for something standard as in, going back to MMO roots. I wanna explore a dungeon with my firends, I wanna stumble across some rare items, I want to fight monsters, I want that classic MMO experience! The Neosteam servers have shut down, Maplestory is too damn easy now, RF got bogus. HELP ME!
Hm, since you said that you played Maple Story, I think you might like an mmo called LaTale. It's another korean 2D anime-styled side-scrolling mmo. I couldn't really get into MS, but I enjoyed LaTale quite a bit, and still do. For starters, I like the overall aesthetic of the game a lot more than maple story, or most maple story clones. As for the gameplay, I feel like it might be a bit more difficult to describe. I feel like the action is very animated, instead of staticky. The characters feel like they actually have some weight to them. I think I will just embed a gameplay video to show you the gameplay so you can see for yourself. Be sure to watch the videos in HD in the extended screen/full screen if possible, to get a better idea of how the game actually looks.
As for the classes, you get to pick from 5 classes(6 classes when the Season 2 update hits, probably in May), the 5 being:

Warrior: Uses spears and 2handed swords. 2nd job, Warlord(Upgrade of warrior), Blader(uses dual-blades). 3rd job, Dragoon(upgrade of Warlord), Strider(Upgrade of Blader). Subjob, Highlander(sub of Dragoon, uses giant ninja star things), Sword Dancer(sub of Strider, uses psychic swords that float and are controlled telepathically)

Knight: Uses 1 handed sword + shield, and blunt 1handed weapons + shield. 2nd job, Templar(Upgrade of Knight), Guardian(Uses fist weapons). 3rd job, Holy Order(Upgrade of Templar), Saint(Upgrade of Guardian). Subjob, Terror Knight(Sub of Holy Order, uses... Some kind of 1handed glove???), Psy Kicker(Sub of Saint, uses psychic hand)

Explorer: Uses dagger+shield, bows, and crossbows. 2nd job, Treasure Hunter(upgrade of Explorer), Gunslinger(Uses dual-guns). 3rd job, Ruin Walker(Upgrade of Treasure Hunter), Duelist(Upgrade of gunslinger). Subjob, Rouge Master(sub of Ruin Walker, uses dual daggers), Blade Slinger(sub of Duelist, uses a gunblade)

Wizard: Uses staves and daggers(But the source of their magic is elemental stones, which anyone can equip, so if they have one equipped, they don't need a staff or dagger to use magic, although it'll be less powerful). 2nd job, Sorcerer(Upgrade of Wizard, uses only elemental attack magic) or Bard(Uses string instruments for haling). 3rd job, Elemental Master(Upgrade or Sorcerer), Ministrel(Upgrade of Bard). Subjob, Phantom Mage(Sub of Elemental Master, basically a more physical version of a mage), Maestro(sub of ministrel, uses a wand? to conduct a symphony orchestra. Great for mobs)

Engineer: Uses a toolbox and turrets. 2nd job, Meister(Uses a mech, the character is inside of it, and controls it). 3rd job, Engistar(Upgrade of Meister). Subjob, Star Seeker(sub of Engistar, uses some kind of floating mechanical orb?? To summon robots and lasers and other goodies)

(Sorry about any low quality videos, or videos with random music playing, it was a bit tiresome just finding clips for all the classes.)

Also notable, all base classes can use fist weapons, but become unable to do so after 2nd job and up. Quests are also actually fairly useful for getting money and experience early on, although it ends up becoming a grind later on, but they have created some designated grind spot dungeons which give significantly larger experience than regular enemies, to offset the pain of the grind. And when season 2 hits, the quest system will become significantly revamped to become the optimal form of leveling, as well as the best way to earn money. And another thing, the translation for the game's story(which is honestly not all that important) ranges between bad, to laughably abysmal at the moment, but will be fixed when Season 2 hits(which will be in May.)

When Season 2 hits, the game will undergo a complete overhaul, and one of the more significant things will be that the 2nd job will move to lv 50 instead of 80, 3rd to lv 100 instead of 140, and sub jobs will stay at lv 140. Sorry about the horrible info-dump, but I really like the game and wanted to share it with someone. Also, if you decide to pick it up, I highly recommend playing as a knight or warrior to begin with, preferably a knight, as it will help you brave the increasing harshness of the monsters as you progress through the game, because the monsters will get tough, and unless you are properly equipped, you will not be able to handle them, and having high damage output/high defense+hp will greatly help in serving as a safety net until you are able to properly equip yourself. While I am on the note of equipment, be sure to enchant your equipment as much as possible with stat bonuses using puzzles which can be purchased in towns by puzzle/cube sellers. And beware, the base success rate for enchanting any equips is 95%, and if the item's durability drops below 105, then it drops even further, and if you fail to enchant, then the equips is gone forever. So be careful when you enchant, and always have backup equips. That, and you will learn about items and equips that boost success rate later on. And once you are able to efficiently make large amounts of money, then go play around with other classes, and outfit them properly so that they can really shine.

Hm, well that's about all I can think of to say, I hope you'll give the game a try, and maybe you'll like it! If not, I hope you find a game that works for you!

Mitchell Mazur

Nov 10, 2013
Haseo21 said:
Ok, seriously, I am looking for something standard as in, going back to MMO roots. I wanna explore a dungeon with my firends, I wanna stumble across some rare items, I want to fight monsters, I want that classic MMO experience! The Neosteam servers have shut down, Maplestory is too damn easy now, RF got bogus. HELP ME!

www.Faldonrpg.com

Faldon is the game you're looking for. coolest rpg ever made. has a classic runescape vibe, but has fast-paced action gameplay. its a hack and slash click and point diablo style combat. ton's of sorcery, all skills level up independtly by using actions in game. i would consider this a difficult game because things arent handed out to you. but lots of adventure and exploration.

Mitchell Mazur

Nov 10, 2013
Mitchell Mazur said:
Haseo21 said:

www.Faldonrpg.com

Faldon is the game you're looking for. coolest rpg ever made. has a classic runescape vibe, but has fast-paced action gameplay. its a hack and slash click and point diablo style combat. ton's of sorcery, all skills level up independtly by using actions in game. i would consider this a difficult game because things arent handed out to you. but lots of adventure and exploration.
i'll post some key-features of Faldon.

- No Level Cap. several players have exceeded level 1,000. which opens up interesting stat and character builds.

- No classes. you set your stats and raise your skills as desired.

- Ton's of skills which raise through use. your highest skill determines your title. ex. i am a Divine Alchemist
becuase my Alchemy is at 200 points.

- Animal taming skill lets you tame almost any monster in game.

- a high magic stat allows you to have incredible mana regeneration, making the most interesting and fun sorcerer gameplay, better then you will find in any game. ever.

- The gameplay itself is fun and challenging. don't take dieing as a bad thing. take it as a level of difficulty.

- Friendly community. come slay some dragons with me =]