I need an example of a badly written antagonist...

i7omahawki

Mar 22, 2010
Hagenzz said:
Most of the evil hordes/djinns/unknowns/whatever in fantasy that want to wipe out all life. The only thing I ever wonder is, to what end?
So they can just stand around on an empty world forever?
To me, the wipe-out-all-life antagonist is poorly written until it proves otherwise.
To be fair, it casts an antagonist which is de facto an enemy of the protagonist, no matter what their morality. In the case of the Reapers in Mass Effect it doesn't class with either your renegade or paragon actions, nor would it clash with evil or good.

Now, that can be viewed as lazy story writing or a great way to avoid overt rail roading, I think it is rather well done in ME however...Well, we'll see how 3 turns out.

OT:

The worst antagonist I can think of? I think (despite liking the series) Truth from Halo is mainly what comes to mind.

If I recall correctly, he knows that activating the rings will kill all life, including himself, but wants to do it, and kill/enslave humanity because...he loves the forerunners/being in charge/being evil or he wanted to die...

Could've been a good message about religious zealots, perhaps with a more moderate religious perspective instead of the nationalistic marine culture the humans embrace. (In the games at least.)

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
The villainous Dorian Gray from The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Its generally an appalling film, but Dorian makes an especially bad antagonist. Most people here are moaning about 2 dimensional villains, but they aren't really a problem. As long as you know they act evil, are fun, and they are needed to be made dead, that is all they have to be. Dorian's problem however is that he can only be killed in one way: by showing him his own portrait. That doesn't make for much of a climax, as you already know exactly how to kill him and (as he is the villain) how he will inevitably die. That produces no tension. Especially when the character is dumb enough to keep said portrait in his own bedroom.

captainwalrus

Jul 25, 2008
Uriel-238 said:
captainwalrus said:
The Emperor in the original Star Wars trilogy.
Sheer ambition. He wanted to be Emperor exactly the way some people want to be king or president. He was also fairly good at it, if a bit tyrannical.

The whole killing the Jedi and getting revenge thing, that was just sauce. It also had to happen, given being a Sith is evidently against Jedi law. (In RotS, it wasn't made clear what actual high crimes or misdemeanors he had committed, except possession of the Sith membership card and commemorative red lightsaber lens.)
I disregarded the prequel trilogy when I wrote that. As bad as the prequels were, they at least gave Palpatine some sort of goal. It was a confusing and muddled goal, but nonetheless tangible and understandable (destroying the Jedi and returning the Sith to power). Taking the original trilogy solely by its own merits, The Emperor was a terrible antagonist. In the end, all we know about him is that he wanted to dump Vader and turn Luke into his new apprentice. Why does he need a new apprentice? Just cuz apparently.

There is no mention of the Sith in the original trilogy and the Emperor never really seems that interested in being an emperor or crushing the rebellion. He just gimps around obsessing over Luke and extolling the awesomeness of the dark side. And what is the dark side? Why is it seductive and why is it so bad? We never really find out. All we find out is that it has something to do with fear, anger, and hate and gives you the power to shoot finger lightning. We're led to believe that if Luke kills his father, then he'll somehow fall to the dark side, become the Emperor's apprentice, and become a brutal, Vader-esque tyrant. The logic is abysmal.

And I guess this is also a criticism of the entire film series. Lucas never really figured out how how "falling to the dark side" is supposed to work. Anakin suddenly goes from being a troubled teen to killing toddlers and committing genocide. And by the Emperor's cartoon logic, Luke is supposed to go from reviling the Empire to become the Emperor's loyal apprentice all through the act of killing his father.

To summarize, original trilogy Emperor fails because he is a vaguely evil cardboard cutout with epically dumb goals.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
The Wykydtron said:
Ummm that General guy from MW2

He betrays you and goes kill crazy with some private army he pulled out of his ass for no reason whatsoever. Maybe i need to replay it but i don't think it was ever properly explained. He just went into some semantics over the nature of war to cover up the fact that the writers couldn't think of an actual reason for his actions

Was still pretty entertaining, a "so bad it's good" type thing.
You missed the entire point of the campaign then.

Shepard killed Roach and Ghost because if they had stayed alive, they would have taken credit for the war, not him. He eliminated the "Loose Ends" in his plan, which was the same name as the mission where it had occurred.

In one of the opening sequences after Loose Ends, they pretty much outright state it. "If he succeeds, his history is written, not ours."

His "Private Army" was Shadow Company, the main force he has commanded for how long? As if the General of the army is only going to have a handful of soldiers, no matter how skilled they are.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Johanthemonster666 said:
omegawyrm said:
Ghored said:
Orphan from FFXIII.

Orphan wants to die so that Cocoon, the very thing it created and nurtured, would fall with it and awaken the Maker. The most this did for me was cause me to furrow my brow and say "What?"

I've only played a few Final Fantasies. XIII did not help raise my opinion of it.

And then there's a sequel to it coming out. Ugh.
Not very used to Japanese storytelling, huh? This is sort of a stock-plot in their sci-fi and fantasy stories.
A lot of villains in anime, manga, and Japanese video games are rather ridiculous. Even romance manga I've read have the antagonist usually try to snatch the protagonist's love interest just to be douchebags and have control over said love interest.
Well, when you build narratives in a culture where one of the primary literary themes is "extremes are bad", the antagonists often wind up being idealistic extremists who want to impose their ideas on the lives of other, and therefore being rather ostentatious as an outward expression of that extremism.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Duke Nukem, and any RPG character after the PS2, I haven't played a next gen RPG where I wished for every character to die horribly for brooding the entire game.

Ninjat_126

Nov 19, 2010
Crispee said:
Rather obscure, but the cardboard cutout bullies from Let Me In.

They appear around three times in the film, antagonize the main character and die horribly, no explanation given. Their antagonism isn't even needed, the story isn't about the conflict between them and the main character, they're completely incidental to the actual story.
Haven't seen it, but isn't that how bullies usually operate IRL? You don't know why they hate you, they just do. It's unlikely that the victim would be able to see inside their lives and get their complete biography.

I've been bullied in school, you don't get reasons. You just get punched in the face and called names. It's worse when everyone else is bigger than you.

CupboardNinja said:
Voldemort from Harry Potter. He's just evil... cause he's evil.
He was evil, insecure and afraid of dying. And then he shattered his soul into pieces to avoid death and went to many more horrible extremes.

Harry Mason said:
DarkRyter said:
He's also the protagonist.

It also appears that you do not know what happens in the game.
I played Prototype (sorry, [Prototype]) all the way through multiple times, and I never found a single good reason for him to be acting like such a dick. There's angry anti-hero, and then there's psychotic mass murderer...
There's a difference between the player character and the player. Canonically, Mercer (the PC) is a selfish dick bent on revenge. The player uses his powers to kill old ladies.

It's like how you can be bitten by zombies in Resident Evil. It's a gameplay mechanic, not canonical story.

Kahunaburger said:
Galbatorix from eragon haha. Movie or books.
He vowed revenge on the Dragon Riders and killed them. Then found himself in power and rolled with it. He just doesn't show up much in the books, and never face-to-face.

namewon'tfitin

Nov 20, 2009
Wesker in RE5 is now just a generic raincoat glasses wearing blond evil neo.
But his wrighting is not as compelling in my opinion.

RN7

Oct 27, 2009
Minecraft's creeper. I mean, they're meant to be a silent antagonist who's malicious force spreads fear throughout the hearts of children and adults everywhere. Their execution is fine, you know, appearing out of nowhere and blowing things up, but I feel that these creatures have had no character development, no motivations. A poor job on Notch's part, imo.

/sarcasm

In all seriousness look at any antagonist from an old B-movie. Manos: The Hands of Fate's a pretty good example.

Valdus

Apr 7, 2011
CM156 said:
Seymour Guado from FFX

He may as well wear a shirt that says "I heart nihilism"
I'll second this one. Being pointless to the story and dragged out far longer than he should have been didn't help.

health-bar

Nov 13, 2009
Pompey71 said:
oh... and Sauron from Lord of the Rings! Why is he evil... who knows?!
Read the Simarillion.
It explains a shit ton of things.

OP: the first name that came to mind was Nightmare Moon from my little pony.
I think it's because I was pissed that after 1000 years being trapped in the moon she just throws in the towel after a half hearted attempt to take over the world. I couldn't stop thinking of how stupid her attempted coup was, and she was supposed to be the complete arch-villain!

Goddammit. I hate myself for actually bringing up that show.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
The entire EDF from Red Faction.

They exist to be evil dicks and are never seen doing anything actually sensible, just dickery.

Jun 23, 2008
captainwalrus said:
I disregarded the prequel trilogy when I wrote that. As bad as the prequels were, they at least gave Palpatine some sort of goal. It was a confusing and muddled goal, but nonetheless tangible and understandable (destroying the Jedi and returning the Sith to power). Taking the original trilogy solely by its own merits, The Emperor was a terrible antagonist. In the end, all we know about him is that he wanted to dump Vader and turn Luke into his new apprentice. Why does he need a new apprentice? Just cuz apparently.
Part of the problem with The Emperor is that he's inconsistent in all three of the original films. In ANH, he's presumedly a weak figurehead that is controlled by a cabal of moffs, of which Tarkin was one.

This changes in ESB, when it's clear that the Emperor is strong, a force user (if not a Jedi or Sith), and Vader is his *****. Palpatine sends Vader to snuff out Luke, not necessarily aware of the paternal relationship (which was Vader's ace; his plan to overthrow the Emperor and rule father and son was a genuine offer).

In RotJ, the Emperor is a powerful force-wielding sorceror [footnote]The lightning thing when it first appeared in RotJ was clearly The Emperor's power, essentially revealing that Palpatine was beyond petty lightsaber tricks and knew the real magic of The Force. So it was severely cheapened in AotC when Dooku started tossing bolts of lighting around as if it came standard issue with the red saber, and cheapened further when lightning could be deflected at all. Bogus.[/footnote] (perhaps even beyond designations such as Sith or Jedi). To the best of his (flawed) prophetic ability, he designed this master plan to trap and demolish the Rebel fleet, yet didn't forsee intervention of the ewoks. He expected to have Vader hack Luke's limbs off, put him in a vader suit, and he'd have two! Two Vaders! (ah. ah. ah.) I suspect the finish him and join me with flawless-victory offer was off the cuff, Palpatine playing a situation that he hadn't expected to turn sour.

This was, of course, retconned to match the prequels, when I am your father was about as much of a surprise as Rosebud being a sled. At that point, the have the apprentices fight it out deal became his regular routine. Which is, I agree, lame.

There is no mention of the Sith in the original trilogy
Y'know, I think you're right. I do know that Darth Vader was a Dark Lord of the Sith (full title, including the dark part), which emerged in the other Star Wars apocrypha (which also included Luke's friendship with Biggs and Wedge, and Darth Vader's rescue from lava, when Kenobi dispatched him the first time. It might be in the original Star Wars novel, that Lucas wrote about the same time. It wasn't in the movies, but the public was aware of the existance of the Sith as early as 1977, during the original release of Star Wars. But remember that in the ANH the Jedi were so long dispatched that they were forgotten, and The Force was not strongly believed outside religious circles unless the Vade was in your face giving you the chokey-chokey from across the room.

...And the Emperor never really seems that interested in being an emperor or crushing the rebellion...
One thing I will credit Emperor Palpatine in doing is actually running the empire. Between Vader grovelings, he had guys handing him crap that needed authorization, and he was there rubber-stamping it through. Contrast most would-be rulers of the world such as General Zod[footnote]Superman II [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_II] if it wasn't obvious.[/footnote] who just hung out at the White House believing he was king until Lex Luthor showed up. He didn't even bother to ask maintenance to take all that rubble and make him a nice Zod statue.

By RotJ, my impression was that Palpatine had become annoyed with the rebellion at worst, since they already blew up his big Death Star project and all. Until then rebel activity sounded very much like pirate activity. It was mere civil unrest and it indicated a lack of discipline in the ranks that he had to personally intervene to resolve this rebellion business once and for all.

And I guess this is also a criticism of the entire film series. Lucas never really figured out how how "falling to the dark side" is supposed to work. Anakin suddenly goes from being a troubled teen to killing toddlers and committing genocide. And by the Emperor's cartoon logic, Luke is supposed to go from reviling the Empire to become the Emperor's loyal apprentice all through the act of killing his father.
I would agree with you that Anakin's transition to Vader sucked. But Anakin really did become George Lucas' Mary Sue [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue], and he really did need someone to work his scripts over a few times.

Lucas actually implies that it's not that clean a threshold. One can meander into darkside territory and come back if one is careful. However the whole once you start down the dark path slippery slope is a part of the Jedi teachings. It's Yoda who brings it up. In the prequels, Mace Windu is a total darkside walker. The only reason the Jedi Order tolerates him is because he allies with them. Id est, he chokes only bad guys.

238U.

Caulk

Mar 11, 2011
Hitler is mostly depicted as the incarnation of the devil or something is books and movies, even though he was actually a real person, those depictions aren't really of him without regarding his actual motives.
Also, I'm Jewish so this isn't offensive. :p

Magnatek

A Miserable Pile of Honesty
Jul 17, 2009
ScoopMeister said:
This guy.

But that's what makes him so awesome.
I'd call him a "well-written villain who sucks at his job", to be honest.

OT: I'd have to go on the one-dimensional bandwagon here, with most cartoon series villains bent on taking over the world. However, some have done it right. Pinky and the Brain, for instance, though that's more of the Villain Protagonist, I suppose.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Ice Azure said:
The Wykydtron said:
Ummm that General guy from MW2

He betrays you and goes kill crazy with some private army he pulled out of his ass for no reason whatsoever. Maybe i need to replay it but i don't think it was ever properly explained. He just went into some semantics over the nature of war to cover up the fact that the writers couldn't think of an actual reason for his actions

Was still pretty entertaining, a "so bad it's good" type thing.
You missed the entire point of the campaign then.

Shepard killed Roach and Ghost because if they had stayed alive, they would have taken credit for the war, not him. He eliminated the "Loose Ends" in his plan, which was the same name as the mission where it had occurred.

In one of the opening sequences after Loose Ends, they pretty much outright state it. "If he succeeds, his history is written, not ours."

His "Private Army" was Shadow Company, the main force he has commanded for how long? As if the General of the army is only going to have a handful of soldiers, no matter how skilled they are.

Wait he did that over who took the credit? Despite the fact they're all on the same side? I suppose i overlooked that then, i just didn't think that something so trivial would be worth going kill crazy over.

Surely the main focus in war is winning, not squabbling over who takes the credit. Especially when the war is still in full swing.

I'll replay the last few missions sometime today i suppose