I need consulship for starting a band.

Stalk3rchief

Sep 10, 2008
I'm coming to my friends at The Escapist on behalf of two very great friends of mine. These two are legitimately talented, and after playing together for years are trying to get an actual band started. They don't want to take any chances, and are taking their time. They have decent funding, good equipment, a studio picked out and ready, an artist on the pay roll, and a few other things I'm sure I forgot to mention.
I don't take this lightly, these two have made music their lives, and they've been good to me. I'm hoping the escapist help me pay them back, any way possible really.
What I'm asking for is a point in a good direction. These guys still need a vocalist and a bass player, and I'm not asking the escapists to pick up instruments and jump in, but to maybe point me to a useful way to find people that will. Also, a good way to publicize a new band would be excellent.
Basically, I would like a way to find the people and things they'll need. Please Escapists, help me help them?
TL:DR - Two good musicians, great friends, starting a band. Need a way to find legitimately good musicians and maybe a good PR, to get them known.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Stalk3rchief said:
I'm coming to my friends at The Escapist on behalf of two very great friends of mine. These two are legitimately talented, and after playing together for years are trying to get an actual band started. They don't want to take any chances, and are taking their time. They have decent funding, good equipment, a studio picked out and ready, an artist on the pay roll, and a few other things I'm sure I forgot to mention.
I don't take this lightly, these two have made music their lives, and they've been good to me. I'm hoping the escapist help me pay them back, any way possible really.
What I'm asking for is a point in a good direction. These guys still need a vocalist and a bass player, and I'm not asking the escapists to pick up instruments and jump in, but to maybe point me to a useful way to find people that will. Also, a good way to publicize a new band would be excellent.
Basically, I would like a way to find the people and things they'll need. Please Escapists, help me help them?
TL:DR - Two good musicians, great friends, starting a band. Need a way to find legitimately good musicians and maybe a good PR, to get them known.
They've been together for years playing music for ages and don't know any good musicians? Why the fuck not? Don't they associate with other musicians? Don't they go and see shows? Where's their network that's going to get them gigs, etc? Alarm bells ringing! Either these guys know every musician in town and have pissed them all the hell off somehow (not sure how, could be any number of things), or they're shut-ins with no social skills or desire to contribute or participate in their local music scene. Either way, they're doing it wrong.

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
Basically, everything that blakfayt had said. Also, no matter how good a musician may be, if they don't get along with the other people then they just plain won't work in the band. That being said, don't get your best friend a bass and give him lessons on-the-fly, find a happy medium. You have to find people who get along with everyone, share a passion for whatever style of music they play, and also are skilled enough to fulfill their role.

Stalk3rchief

Sep 10, 2008
BonsaiK said:
They've been together for years playing music for ages and don't know any good musicians? Why the fuck not? Don't they associate with other musicians? Don't they go and see shows? Where's their network that's going to get them gigs, etc? Alarm bells ringing! Either these guys know every musician in town and have pissed them all the hell off somehow (not sure how, could be any number of things), or they're shut-ins with no social skills or desire to contribute or participate in their local music scene. Either way, they're doing it wrong.
It's the music scene in Central Florida. The only good PR type of people around are P&R promotions, but they have a terrible reputation. They're unprofessional and they're not really sure how to get noticed at all. As for the musicians part, a few have come and gone, but none have been worthwhile. I'm looking a means to find GOOD players, and maybe a good promotion group. I don't know ALL of the details, I'm just trying to help some very good friends.

Just_A_Glitch

Dec 10, 2009
Stalk3rchief said:
I think Bonsaik had the perfect response. A band isn't something that just happens (if it was, I'd be in one). They've gotta put the effort into finding other people.

They need to go to shows, talk to people, make some demos of them playing, etc. It takes effort.

What kind of music is it? Just curious.

gothicboris

Jan 15, 2010
For finding band members. Ask local colleges and schools for anyone studying music who would be intrested in auditioning. And when youve got a band together and youve practised enough start doing local gigs and clubs/pubs and maybe friends birthday parties just to get your name out there.

As a fellow musician I wish them the best.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Stalk3rchief said:
BonsaiK said:
It's the music scene in Central Florida. The only good PR type of people around are P&R promotions, but they have a terrible reputation. They're unprofessional and they're not really sure how to get noticed at all. As for the musicians part, a few have come and gone, but none have been worthwhile. I'm looking a means to find GOOD players, and maybe a good promotion group. I don't know ALL of the details, I'm just trying to help some very good friends.
Okay. Then I need more information:

1. How good is "good"? What do the singer and bass player have to be able to do? I mean, yeah, sing and play bass, obviously. But how well?

2. What style of music are we talking about here?

3. What's the population where these people live and how close are the nearest major urban centres?

4. Do these guys go out and see shows in their local area? If so, are there any bands locally that are in a similar genre, or any pre-existing music scenes?

countolaf108

Feb 10, 2009
For finding musicians, go to local guitar shops, music stores, etc. There are always ways to put up posters and what not for artists looking for work, and it is a great place to network.

blakfayt said:
Youtube, local gigs, posters,
In my experience, local gigs are usually not a good place to find musicians. Most are usually already in a band and committed; while others are mostly fans. I mean, you could find musicians there, its just not as likely as places like Craigslist or the newspaper or music related retailers.

Also some places to check out are any and all Music Lesson establishments. If you had a guitar/any instrument teacher, and know for a fact that other types of musicians go to this same place, ask your/ or the teacher who is giving lessons. They will be able to tell you who is good/ what not. I have found many compete skills musicians that are much cheaper and often times just as skilled as studio musicians with degrees.

Speaking of degrees. Music Colleges, Universities are swarming with people who want to join bands and have the skill to boot. It's a great way to make extra cash and give newbies a avenue into the mainstream.

NETWORK like crazy. Post ads on Craiglist, Guitarforums, around coffee shops, malls, whereever and hold tryouts.

As for PR. NETWORK LIKE MAD.
On the odd note, I work professionally for a music studio and we have a annual EP contest that we allow anyone and everyone to enter as long as they are the first 100 to drop off a MP3 of their stuff. Check for things like this and enter.

Take every gig no matter what the pay and make the most of every oppertunity when starting out. This is pretty much the only way to ever get anywhere. That and - NETWORK LIKE CRAZY.

Did I mention? NETWORK LIKE CRAZY.

You can also hire agents and PR, but they are pricey.
But this can actually pay off really well if you have a good one.
Allows for easier access to gigs, and getting contracts. You are about 3x as likely to get more gigs if you musicians focus on music and your PR guy focuses on getting work. Just an idea though. Again, very pricey. And you have to be taken on, so you have to send them your work and get them to like it.

Also- FYI: Even though getting your stuff heard by as many people as possible is one way of getting big, it actually only ever works if someone who is someone hears it before you get a break. So if you focus on your fanbase only; you are making your work longer and harder. Send your stuff everywhere, to as many contests, local publishers, whatever.

Even the runners for producers can get you a "in" into the industry. So again, NETWORKING IS KEY

Stalk3rchief

Sep 10, 2008
BonsaiK said:
I'll PM you about it tomorrow. The drummer is going to give me more details, but he's got some exams to do and had to get some sleep. I can give you all the specifics you want.

BonsaiK

Nov 14, 2007
Stalk3rchief said:
BonsaiK said:
I'll PM you about it tomorrow. The drummer is going to give me more details, but he's got some exams to do and had to get some sleep. I can give you all the specifics you want.
Awesome, do that. Or even better, post it either here or even in my music biz thread and that way people can see the reply and learn from it.

Oh, and:

Stalk3rchief said:
They don't want to take any chances, and are taking their time.
They're doing it so very, very wrong.

Stalk3rchief

Sep 10, 2008
countolaf108 said:
For finding musicians, go to local guitar shops, music stores, etc. There are always ways to put up posters and what not for artists looking for work, and it is a great place to network.

blakfayt said:
Youtube, local gigs, posters,
In my experience, local gigs are usually not a good place to find musicians. Most are usually already in a band and committed; while others are mostly fans. I mean, you could find musicians there, its just not as likely as places like Craigslist or the newspaper or music related retailers.

Also some places to check out are any and all Music Lesson establishments. If you had a guitar/any instrument teacher, and know for a fact that other types of musicians go to this same place, ask your/ or the teacher who is giving lessons. They will be able to tell you who is good/ what not. I have found many compete skills musicians that are much cheaper and often times just as skilled as studio musicians with degrees.

Speaking of degrees. Music Colleges, Universities are swarming with people who want to join bands and have the skill to boot. It's a great way to make extra cash and give newbies a avenue into the mainstream.

NETWORK like crazy. Post ads on Craiglist, Guitarforums, around coffee shops, malls, whereever and hold tryouts.

As for PR. NETWORK LIKE MAD.
On the odd note, I work professionally for a music studio and we have a annual EP contest that we allow anyone and everyone to enter as long as they are the first 100 to drop off a MP3 of their stuff. Check for things like this and enter.

Take every gig no matter what the pay and make the most of every oppertunity when starting out. This is pretty much the only way to ever get anywhere. That and - NETWORK LIKE CRAZY.

Did I mention? NETWORK LIKE CRAZY.

You can also hire agents and PR, but they are pricey.
But this can actually pay off really well if you have a good one.
Allows for easier access to gigs, and getting contracts. You are about 3x as likely to get more gigs if you musicians focus on music and your PR guy focuses on getting work. Just an idea though. Again, very pricey. And you have to be taken on, so you have to send them your work and get them to like it.

Also- FYI: Even though getting your stuff heard by as many people as possible is one way of getting big, it actually only ever works if someone who is someone hears it before you get a break. So if you focus on your fanbase only; you are making your work longer and harder. Send your stuff everywhere, to as many contests, local publishers, whatever.

Even the runners for producers can get you a "in" into the industry. So again, NETWORKING IS KEY
Thank you. :)
Any and all advice is welcome.

TheLaofKazi

Mar 20, 2010
Stalk3rchief said:
Don't wait for the promotion group to come along. Do it yourself.

I'm definitely not experienced when it comes to being in a band, but a band I'm in just played our first show tonight, and it went great. Two of the members literally just made a bunch of songs over the course of two months, recorded them in their basement with a drum machine and put them on Soundcloud, got me to learn them on the drums, got another friend on bass, and then just threw our name and the date of our show everywhere and had fun doing it. Friends made stupid little fliers, floppy disc singles (which actually sold quite well), name-brand paper recycle boxes at our school, trolling Facebook polls with our name, randomly interrupting class to announce the show, tons of random inside jokes.

The key is to be clever, fun with it, do it yourself, be risky, and be confident. This whole thing could of terribly failed. In fact, earlier today when we were rehearsing before the show, things looked pretty bad (my bass pedal broke about 2 hours before we had to pack up and leave, among other things), and we really weren't sure if we wanted to keep the band going after this show, but we kept going. We just pulled this whole thing out of nowhere, the band even started out as, and still is, a joke, and made about $200 at the show tonight from pre-sale tickets, ep sales, and of course, floppy disc sales.