I need help.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
Yes I relize there is better places to ask this question at, but im not going to sign up for anything just to ask one question, and I imagine I would get a faster response here anyway.

Now to the question: This seems like a very trivial thing but there is something that I need to do that my computer needs to do. A year back when I got this computer it worked fine, then my harddrive crashed, I got a new one, and now this doesn't work. What I'm talking about is when you put in a cd the thing that it is for starts, now it doesn't do this anymore, and I need it to. So, I need to know how I set it up so when I put a cd in the cd drive it just starts the program.

im running on windows XP

edit: it still works it just wont start it automatically i have to go into run programs and start it manually, i just need to know how to set it to run the disk when i put it in instead of waiting for me to tell it to

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
What you're saying is that the disc's autorun.exe file won't execute when you put the disc in?

Raijha

Aug 23, 2010
Wait, is the drive not reading the disc at all or is it just not loading the auto launcher? What type of discs? Just games and programs or actual cds and dvds?

GreyWolf257

Oct 1, 2009
This happened when my friend got too many viruses on his computer (exactly 14,382). I don't really have an expert opinion, but your computer might just be infected. If not, then the hard drive is either damaged or is dying from old age.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
Raijha said:
Wait, is the drive not reading the disc at all or is it just not loading the auto launcher? What type of discs? Just games and programs or actual cds and dvds?
its not loading the autolauncher but it has to be the cd drives fault because it does it with every disk whether its a movie disk, music, or a game

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
lizards said:
Raijha said:
its not loading the autolauncher but it has to be the cd drives fault because it does it with every disk whether its a movie disk, music, or a game
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135

BAM!

I am genius, hear me roar.

(If that doesn't help, then I'm out of ideas. I haven't ever personally used XP and have never had this problem on any of the many computers that I've worked on that have XP.)

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
Probably needs a new driver or something. If I had more specifics I might be able to give you a better answer, but if it dose work then it isn't broken it just doesn't know to work on its own. So its probably a software problem not a hardware problem.

aseelt

Jan 13, 2010
Check the options to enable auto-run.

It doesn't sound like there is something wrong with the drive's function, so it's probably just a box that needs to be checked

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
well for the lazy man, who doesn't want to go all the way to a computer repair place. Try setting up a desktop shortcut to "My Computer" if you don't already have one, after inserting the disk go to the shortcut, find the program on the window that comes up after clicking on the shortcut (it should be under the heading "Disk Drive 'Whatever'" or something like that if its not already odvious which is the right thing to click on). Doing this should run the program, if not consalt a different post, no harm should be fall your computer doing this and it doesn't cost anything.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
Gxas said:
lizards said:
Raijha said:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135

BAM!

I am genius, hear me roar.

(If that doesn't help, then I'm out of ideas. I haven't ever personally used XP and have never had this problem on any of the many computers that I've worked on that have XP.)
in my defense i tried finding that and i couldnt

and also in my defense none of them worked