I need helping writing a Pathology based play. Any ideas?

arc101

May 24, 2009
Well, as weird as it sounds, yes, I do need help writing a play set in a pathology lab. More to the point, I need help with a plot. All the ideas I've had would work better with surgeons (losing a patient, etc, etc) but that's been done regularly before and I think the idea of a mortuary based comedy would be fun.

I have a character list;
-Drunkard pathologist who likes the job but prefers to not remember any of it
-Massively squeamish Pathologist (female) who wants to find a man
-Pathologist who is far too keen on the job, enjoys it too much (not sexual)
-An old administrator who is so out of touch with modern practice yet still in charge
-A work experience child (aged 15) who didn't know what pathology was and who is massively annoying and irritates the rest of the group

In my brain I have ideas but I want to see what the massive interweb can think of too. Any plot lines you can think of or any criticisms you may have are all welcome.

Ps. The Captcha for this was 'I'm in you?' It made my day.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Personally, I'd like to see the usual misconceptions dismissed and mocked, but that's just me.

That applies to anything set anywhere, mind, not just pathology labs.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Personally, I'd like to see the usual misconceptions dismissed and mocked, but that's just me.

Oh yes, please my God yes. Everytime I watch Big Bang Theory, I just want the entire cast to stand up and go "Actually, we aren't this neurotic and pathetic, and we have far more depths and nuances than provided within this shows. "Nerds" and "Scientists" have a sex-life too." And then the show just ends.

OT: A sentient bacteria, perhaps?

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
arc101 said:
I fell this character should also have a limp. And, he needs a best friend who will never abandon him.
I think she should be (ambiguously) bisexual, and give her a numerical nickname.
Perhaps, write him as an Australian that's trying to earn get his father's approval, while pretending he doesn't want it.
-An old administrator who is so out of touch with modern practice yet still in charge
But, have it be revealed that he never got a PhD. He just worked as a janitor at medical colleges, where he picked up all his knowledge.
-A work experience child (aged 15) who didn't know what pathology was and who is massively annoying and irritates the rest of the group
Perhaps make her the daughter of Korean and Philippine immigrants.

But, this cast still feels somewhat lacking... Maybe a Black guy who was hired specifically because of his criminal record, but eventually becomes the boss. And, maybe a Jewish ex-plastic surgeon who joins because he want to help people more than make a buck and is also an unfaithful husband.

Wait... What do you mean this has been done before?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Realitycrash said:
thaluikhain said:

Oh yes, please my God yes. Everytime I watch Big Bang Theory, I just want the entire cast to stand up and go "Actually, we aren't this neurotic and pathetic, and we have far more depths and nuances than provided within this shows. "Nerds" and "Scientists" have a sex-life too." And then the show just ends.
I wouldn't mind that show so much if it weren't for all the hordes of people convinced it's a spot on depiction.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Uh, this setting strongly reminds me of a recent Austrian film... I don't know if you speak German but I'm just gonna link it here. It's called <url=http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aufschneider>Aufschneider, which is a pun in itself as it litterally means "someone who cuts open" but colloquially is a bragger or phony.

It's basically about the chief pathologist who's in a constant fight with a surgeon who married his ex-wife, his incompetent assistant pathologist who also happens to be in a secret relationship with his daughter, a colleague who abducts her dead father and keeps him at home to avoid his autopsy and two aidspathology nurses? I'm not really sure what you can call them who sell the dead's organs behind everyone's backs.

Only thing I could think of right now, maybe you want to borrow anything.
I could be of help with medical stuff though if you need anything there.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
In my medical experience I can think of two events that are interesting to do with pathology/pathologists:
-There was the anatomy tutor who managed to insert a hotwheels toy truck into the arm of the cadaver from inside the chest cavity so that the dissecting students got a shock when they found it. Grossly unprofessional, but funny.
-The pathology assistant who delighted in making students uncomfortable. He made some comment about the smell. Me being a hunter said it wasn't worse than a dead rabbit. He replied "yeah but you don't flick'em here" (when you gut a rabbit you can sort of flick them through the air to remove all the guts quickly)

I know a couple of jokes/urban legends that are funny too.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Realitycrash said:
thaluikhain said:

I wouldn't mind that show so much if it weren't for all the hordes of people convinced it's a spot on depiction.
Exactly. I just want to howl in rage at a camera.
"I have a sex-life! I read comic-books and play video-games wit my free time! I am very much in shape and I am not "pale and indoor-sy", I find science cool and I study at the University! STOP FUCKING GENERALIZING PEOPLE!"

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
madwarper said:
arc101 said:
I fell this character should also have a limp. And, he needs a best friend who will never abandon him.
I think she should be (ambiguously) bisexual, and give her a numerical nickname.
Perhaps, write him as an Australian that's trying to earn get his father's approval, while pretending he doesn't want it.
But, have it be revealed that he never got a PhD. He just worked as a janitor at medical colleges, where he picked up all his knowledge.

But, this cast still feels somewhat lacking... Maybe a Black guy who was hired specifically because of his criminal record, but eventually becomes the boss. And, maybe a Jewish ex-plastic surgeon who joins because he want to help people more than make a buck and is also an unfaithful husband.

From the very first sentence; I see what you did there -.-

ClockworkPenguin

Mar 29, 2012
This sounds very similar to a radio sitcom which already exists called 'Rigor Mortis'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigor_Mortis_(radio)

It was pretty funny, you should check it out.

arc101

May 24, 2009
ClockworkPenguin said:
This sounds very similar to a radio sitcom which already exists called 'Rigor Mortis'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigor_Mortis_(radio)

It was pretty funny, you should check it out.
Where does one think I originally heard the idea and wanted to make a stage version of something similar but different. The characters however, were the creation of a friend (Her name is Holly, she has lovely hair) who has never seen the show.

arc101

May 24, 2009
madwarper said:
arc101 said:

I want to upvote. Stupid Reddit.