I need some comics.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I'm pretty bored and I feel like reading comics, and while I have a pretty big list of series I want to catch up with I don't feel like reading parts of a story, I want something that's complete and not ridiculously long (contained in around 2-3 volumes) and I'm not sure what stuff is out there that I would like and don't really feel like doing research, I would like to jump into something blindly but I don't want to waste money on something I don't know anything about so a recommendation from someone might be best...

Anyway some stuff I like, just stuff I like to give a general idea of things I might like to read but I really need something that isn't a super long series:

Locke & Key (I think this might be my favourite series.)
Fables
New Ms. Marvel
The Rocketeer
The Shadow
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Scott Pilgrim vs The World
The Runaways

That's what seems to come off the top of my head, now I will admit that I haven't read that many comics, might be worth noting that I seem to have a particular liking towards Noir detective stuff when it comes to other media and that I really like high contrast art with bold shadows, which is why I absolutely love The Wolf Among Us game, though like I said I'm already reading Fables.
[sup][sup]I didn't like The Walking Dead comic >_>[/sup][/sup]

*cough* *cough* Since it is October I think I should probably read at least one horror comic or a Halloween themed comic too, so any ideas? Besides I'm going to have nothing to do for a week because people don't want me at work for Halloween so I'm being forced to take a vacation that will keep me away from work in Halloween, why? I have no idea but I'm perfectly fine with this decision.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
this is a thread I keep bringing out

I'd also like to add "Copperhead" to this list,

[spoiler/][img/]http://i2.cdnds.net/14/24/618x951/comics-copperhead-1.jpg[/img][/spoiler]

its a space western from image and while its only got like 1-3 issues out (and I've read one) its VERY promising

oh and "southern bastards"

[spoiler/][img/]http://d138hkes00e90m.cloudfront.net/release_images/southernbastards_1_opt.jpg[/img][/spoiler]

an old man goes back to his home town in the deep south....fun times!

[img/]http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1300401645l/10088114.jpg[/img]

Morning Glories, a super natural mind bending mystery....a mysterious private school that only accpets students born in certain months to be used for some unknown purpose...

[img/]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51udPuzbqWL.jpg[/img]

Saga- a star wars like world that represents our own, about two parents from Waring worlds who hook up and have a baby...

[img/]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/29/Joehilllockekey.jpg[/img]

a family moves into an old familiy home which holds secrets from the past....in the form of magial keys that "open" more than doors

[img/]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Qx6JDFr9dhM/UClzlimTxcI/AAAAAAAAAFY/BlSE1L-8sgs/s1600/Preacher%20vol%201.jpg[/img]

The story of a Preacher his ex girlfriend and Irish Vampire friend and their quest to find god

[img/]http://ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/queen_country_011.jpg[/img]

Female James bond in a much more grounded world...

[img/]http://d138hkes00e90m.cloudfront.net/release_images/prettydeadly_vol1.jpg[/img]

a supernatural western about deaths daughter,

[img/]http://d138hkes00e90m.cloudfront.net/release_images/EOW_TRADE_01.jpg[/img]

sort of a western...ts about death (similar to pretty deadly) I lost track of what was going on in this one but the art is gorgeous

[img/]http://d138hkes00e90m.cloudfront.net/release_images/revival-vol1-web.jpg[/img]

Revival, on one day in one small town all the dead come back to live....but do they come back right?

[img/]http://d138hkes00e90m.cloudfront.net/release_images/LAZARUS_TPB.jpg [/img]

a dystopian where only a few families control all the wealth in a post apocalyptic future...protagonist is the families "lazurus" she does not die..

[img/]http://thecomixverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/bedlam-vol1-cov-web.jpg[/img]

is evil something you're born with or can it be cured? an ex super villan (a psychotic version of the joker) is "cured" and now must settle into a normal life

Kaleion said:
That's what seems to come off the top of my head, now I will admit that I haven't read that many comics, might be worth noting that I seem to have a particular liking towards Noir detective stuff when it comes to other media and that I really like high contrast art with bold shadows
hmmm...I kinda forgot the name but there also...Fuse? the Fuse? two detectives on a space station...I haven't read it but its like crime

I think I tend to like art that uses appealing colors and doesn't go overboard with the rendering (my favorites incluse copperhead and east of west...I probably have a thing for orange) but I'm not too fussy, the only time the art has ever really put me off was Mind MGMT which is a shame because its apparently really good

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I second Vault's suggestion for Saga.

Do you like Star Wars?

The original Knights of the Old Republic 50-issue comic run is one of the best comic books I have ever read. It has some great characters, it's funny and does some really interesting things with the lore that hadn't been done before.

I think it's collected in like 9 or 10 trades, but you can probably buy the whole run in comic book form for cheap. I bought almost the entire run for like $60 on eBay a few years ago.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Look, it's rather long, but it is complete and its one of the best comic series of all time:
Sandman, by Neil Gaiman.
Get it, read it, thank me later.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Fappy said:
The original Knights of the Old Republic 50-issue comic run is one of the best comic books I have ever read. It has some great characters, it's funny and does some really interesting things with the lore that hadn't been done before.
you'd have to be specific since there's sooo many starwars comics

I don't think I'm really a fan of Darkhoarse...they strike me as tie in media shills

Shocksplicer said:
Look, it's rather long, but it is complete and its one of the best comic series of all time:
Sandman, by Neil Gaiman.
Get it, read it, thank me later.
I gotta get back into that...but eh I flaked after the first trade

that said I did enjoy the diner scene in trade 1...soooo messed up

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Vault101 said:
Fappy said:
you'd have to be specific since there's sooo many starwars comics

I don't think I'm really a fan of Darkhoarse...they strike me as tie in media shills
Darkhorse is hit-or-miss for sure. If they are shills, Kotor was an exception to the rule.

I specified "50 issue run" since that's the only way I can think of to easily differentiate it without citing the writer: John Miller.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Kaleion said:
I'm pretty bored and I feel like reading comics, and while I have a pretty big list of series I want to catch up with I don't feel like reading parts of a story, I want something that's complete and not ridiculously long (contained in around 2-3 volumes) and I'm not sure what stuff is out there that I would like and don't really feel like doing research, I would like to jump into something blindly but I don't want to waste money on something I don't know anything about so a recommendation from someone might be best...
I know that I say this every time comics come up, but I would really recommend reading up on spider-man comics. Specifically the Superior Spider-Man story arc and onwards. It's the best spidey comics have been since...... well ever. The premise is very similar to the Knightfall story from Batman in the 90's where a much more violent and unrestrained individual takes on the hero's role and is basically a dick to everyone, it's just awesome, not too long either, about 30 issues.

Also, do what Shocksplicer says and read Sandman. I'ts the series that made me a Neil Gaiman fan.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
There are some Marvel Noir comics, most contain four comics about certain characters, but there are more than that for Spider-Man.
There are also some Sin City comics that (I don't think, I just got them) have stories that the movies don't.
Not sure if you're a fan of Firefly, but there are some Serenity comics out there too.

Fappy said:
Can I get a link to the cover of the first one or something so I can hunt it down later? I love old republic stuff.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
EHKOS said:
There are some Marvel Noir comics, most contain four comics about certain characters, but there are more than that for Spider-Man.
There are also some Sin City comics that (I don't think, I just got them) have stories that the movies don't.
Not sure if you're a fan of Firefly, but there are some Serenity comics out there too.

Fappy said:
Can I get a link to the cover of the first one or something so I can hunt it down later? I love old republic stuff.

It ties into the first game in a lot of cool ways (first issue was published in '06 IIRC), but you don't have to be a Kotor or Star Wars fan to appreciate it.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Fappy said:
EHKOS said:

Fappy said:

It ties into the first game in a lot of cool ways (first issue was published in '06 IIRC), but you don't have to be a Kotor or Star Wars fan to appreciate it.
Thank you, I really appreciate it :) I'm a huge fan of KotOR to the point of somehow managing to enjoy the MMO. OFF TO eBAY!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Fappy said:
Darkhorse is hit-or-miss for sure. If they are shills, Kotor was an exception to the rule.

I specified "50 issue run" since that's the only way I can think of to easily differentiate it without citing the writer: John Miller.
I am probably being a little unfair, they just tend to have a lot of tie-in stuff of varying quality, they do have a few orginal series though

TheRiddler

Sep 21, 2013
Didn't see Watchmen on your list, that's a definite must-read as far as I'm concerned. As are a lot of other Alan Moore books. V For Vendetta and From Hell are each standalone stories (Although, admittedly, From Hell is pretty long).

Maus was also great. It comes in two volumes. And it's this really harrowing story of a Jewish man evading the Nazis. (But the people are anthropomorphized animals [It's less weird than it sounds.])

Oh, and if you like the noir aesthetic, there are a couple Batman titles that could float your boat. The Long Halloween deals with the death of Gotham's previous mob rule, giving way to the insane supercriminals we're familiar with. Batman: Black and White (Pick any volume, they're not continuous.) is a collection of short, noir vignettes involving the Caped Crusader. Each book contains five or so stories, so you'll find something to like.

Happy hunting!

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Vault101 said:
Fappy said:

I am probably being a little unfair, they just tend to have a lot of tie-in stuff of varying quality, they do have a few orginal series though
In my experience a lot of the tie-in stuff is crap (ironically) because they allow those involved in the original properties to write the comic tie-ins instead of Dark Horse's own writers. For example, most of the Mass Effect tie-ins sucked because Mac Walters can't write a compelling comic script to save his life.

CaptainMidlands

Jul 6, 2010
The Punisher: Welcome Back, Frank (In fact anything from the Garth Ennis Punisher run)
Alien vs Judge Dredd vs Predator
Superman: Red Son

I really enjoyed all three and recommend them (AvJDvP has just had a rerelease too)

If like me however you find your a Marvel fan but are sick and tired of "lol American super hero" then another good one for me was Captain Britain and MI:13 which looks at the Secret Invasion from a British stand point and leads on from there.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Vault101 said:
I'm not fussy about art either, but I can overlook certain things if the art is really good, you know like I'm biased to like some things if they have the right style.

As for those comics, well I've been meaning to get into Saga and apparently it's not as long as I thought yet so maybe I will, I read the first few issues and it seems like a good read, I was planning to pick it up eventually.
I actually have the first issues of Bedlam, Morning Glories and East of West, never got around to reading them, mostly because I prefer to read whole volumes but I guess it wouldn't hurt to read them just to decide if I want to continue.
As for Locke and Key, I really like it, it's good stuff.
Pretty Deadly sounds interesting too, if you can tell me a bit more about it, it would be nice, but I'll probably look it up anyway.
Fappy said:
Yeah, I like both Star Wars and KOTOR, so I guess that's one to keep in mind and at 50 issues sounds about the length I'm looking for too, so yeah that might be good.
Shocksplicer said:
I keep hearing that I mean to get around it eventually but at 10 volumes it sounds like it'll take me a while to buy all of them, in any case there seem to be other Sandman series like Overture, are those recommended too or just the original Sandman series?
jademunky said:
I've heard a few people say that but I don't know, is Superior Spider-Man long? Because I honestly don't want to get into the main Marvel universe, the only reason I put up with Ms. Marvel is that it's just started and it's been pretty self contained so far, I guess I could try it but I don't really want to get into that kind of series.
EHKOS said:
Yeah I'm familiar with the Noirverse, considering it's basically Marvel in a pulpy Noir The Shadow like setting it sounded like something I'd enjoy and I did, as for Sin City I don't think I've ever read the comics, maybe I should.
InsaneFool said:
I suggest 100 Bullets
What's it about? Is it ongoing? Is it long?
Just stuff I'd like to know.
TheRiddler said:
Yeah I've read Watchmen it was good, I haven't gotten around to V yet and now that I remember I actually have From Hell, somebody gave me a digital version a while ago so I could actually go read that like right now, yep, it's even the whole thing.

Maus sounds like it might be interesting and just the right length where I don't feel I'm getting married to a new series.

As for Batman, yeah I really like the style there's just too many batman stuff though...
Do I really want to go down that rabbit hole?

[sup][sup]Maybe I shouldn't reply to everyone.[/sup][/sup]

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Kaleion said:
I've heard a few people say that but I don't know, is Superior Spider-Man long? Because I honestly don't want to get into the main Marvel universe, the only reason I put up with Ms. Marvel is that it's just started and it's been pretty self contained so far, I guess I could try it but I don't really want to get into that kind of series.
I had stopped reading spidey for a long while when I jumped into it. I did not read the story prior but that did not matter. Do you know who Doc Ock is? Green Goblin? You are mostly set. The Avengers do show up from time-to-time but mostly it is just to say "hey Spidey, tone down the brutality a little or we will......... politely ask you a second time."

It is kinda long, 30 issues and lasted the better part of a year but it tells a pretty self-contained story that in my opinion undoes some of the damage caused by "one-more-day" and helps humanize one of Peter's oldest enemies.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Kaleion said:
Pretty Deadly sounds interesting too, if you can tell me a bit more about it, it would be nice, but I'll probably look it up anywayWhat's it about? Is it ongoing? Is it long?
it hasn't been going for long its (actually very similar to east of west) basically it involves death as a character, and supernatueal stuff in a western setting....we havn't actually seen THAT much of deaths daughter yet, there also an old man who made a deal with death and a kid (who is some kind of prophecy)

as you can tell from my vauge description is kind of suffers from "I don't know whats going on and its beginning to grate me" I think the plot comes together in the first trade

[quote/]As for Batman, yeah I really like the style there's just too many batman stuff though...
[/quote]
it depends...if you have a basic understanding of batman (like the darkham games) then your fine for most arcs...one notable one is gothan central which doesn't focus on batman but the cops in gotham

100 bullets is basically "a mysterious man gives peole who have been wrong a gun with 100 untraceable bullets" it works in government conspiracys and such...I quite because it was a bit too dark/real for me but if you like mystery

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Vault101 said:
it hasn't been going for long its (actually very similar to east of west) basically it involves death as a character, and supernatueal stuff in a western setting....we havn't actually seen THAT much of deaths daughter yet, there also an old man who made a deal with death and a kid (who is some kind of prophecy)

as you can tell from my vauge description is kind of suffers from "I don't know whats going on and its beginning to grate me" I think the plot comes together in the first trade
Well I guess I'll give it a try.

[quote/]
it depends...if you have a basic understanding of batman (like the darkham games) then your fine for most arcs...one notable one is gothan central which doesn't focus on batman but the cops in gotham[/quote]
Actually most of my knowledge of Batman is from the Bruce Tim cartoons, I haven't played the Arkham games yet, not sure why I've had Asylum and City for quite a while and they do look good.

[quote/]100 bullets is basically "a mysterious man gives peole who have been wrong a gun with 100 untraceable bullets" it works in government conspiracys and such...I quite because it was a bit too dark/real for me but if you like mystery[/quote]
Sounds like it actually might be my kind of thing, maybe I'll check it out.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Kaleion said:
Vault101 said:
I'm not fussy about art either, but I can overlook certain things if the art is really good, you know like I'm biased to like some things if they have the right style.

As for those comics, well I've been meaning to get into Saga and apparently it's not as long as I thought yet so maybe I will, I read the first few issues and it seems like a good read, I was planning to pick it up eventually.
I actually have the first issues of Bedlam, Morning Glories and East of West, never got around to reading them, mostly because I prefer to read whole volumes but I guess it wouldn't hurt to read them just to decide if I want to continue.
As for Locke and Key, I really like it, it's good stuff.
Pretty Deadly sounds interesting too, if you can tell me a bit more about it, it would be nice, but I'll probably look it up anyway.
Fappy said:
Yeah, I like both Star Wars and KOTOR, so I guess that's one to keep in mind and at 50 issues sounds about the length I'm looking for too, so yeah that might be good.
Shocksplicer said:
I keep hearing that I mean to get around it eventually but at 10 volumes it sounds like it'll take me a while to buy all of them, in any case there seem to be other Sandman series like Overture, are those recommended too or just the original Sandman series?
jademunky said:
EHKOS said:
Yeah I'm familiar with the Noirverse, considering it's basically Marvel in a pulpy Noir The Shadow like setting it sounded like something I'd enjoy and I did, as for Sin City I don't think I've ever read the comics, maybe I should.
InsaneFool said:
I suggest 100 Bullets
What's it about? Is it ongoing? Is it long?
Just stuff I'd like to know.
TheRiddler said:
Yeah I've read Watchmen it was good, I haven't gotten around to V yet and now that I remember I actually have From Hell, somebody gave me a digital version a while ago so I could actually go read that like right now, yep, it's even the whole thing.

Maus sounds like it might be interesting and just the right length where I don't feel I'm getting married to a new series.

As for Batman, yeah I really like the style there's just too many batman stuff though...

[sup][sup]Maybe I shouldn't reply to everyone.[/sup][/sup]
To be honest I have yet to pick up anything outside of the original series, but I've heard good things.