I need some comics.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Well you've already read a lot of the ones I would recommend.

Hmmm...

Chew. It's about a federal agent who gets psychic impression from things he eats and it is hilarious.

I would recommend the kid loki run from JiM (its about a super villain who now a kid and is somehow not crap). It only runs for 31 issues and has a decent end point (which is much better if you don't know the spoiler for though it bit hard to avoid that now) so won't kill your wallet but its kinda hard to get into because it has a whole bunch of lead up, crossovers and its reading order isn't straight forward so you have have to put in a bit of effort to make sense of it.

Unsounded is a web comic but I'm going to recommend it anyway. http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/

Vault101 said:
this is a thread I keep bringing out

I'd also like to add "Copperhead" to this list,

[spoiler/][img/]http://i2.cdnds.net/14/24/618x951/comics-copperhead-1.jpg[/img][/spoiler]

its a space western from image and while its only got like 1-3 issues out (and I've read one) its VERY promising

oh and "southern bastards"

[spoiler/][img/]http://d138hkes00e90m.cloudfront.net/release_images/southernbastards_1_opt.jpg[/img][/spoiler]

an old man goes back to his home town in the deep south....fun times!

[img/]http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1300401645l/10088114.jpg[/img]

Morning Glories, a super natural mind bending mystery....a mysterious private school that only accpets students born in certain months to be used for some unknown purpose...

[img/]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51udPuzbqWL.jpg[/img]

Saga- a star wars like world that represents our own, about two parents from Waring worlds who hook up and have a baby...

[img/]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/29/Joehilllockekey.jpg[/img]

a family moves into an old familiy home which holds secrets from the past....in the form of magial keys that "open" more than doors

[img/]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Qx6JDFr9dhM/UClzlimTxcI/AAAAAAAAAFY/BlSE1L-8sgs/s1600/Preacher%20vol%201.jpg[/img]

The story of a Preacher his ex girlfriend and Irish Vampire friend and their quest to find god

[img/]http://ifanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/queen_country_011.jpg[/img]

Female James bond in a much more grounded world...

[img/]http://d138hkes00e90m.cloudfront.net/release_images/prettydeadly_vol1.jpg[/img]

a supernatural western about deaths daughter,

[img/]http://d138hkes00e90m.cloudfront.net/release_images/EOW_TRADE_01.jpg[/img]

sort of a western...ts about death (similar to pretty deadly) I lost track of what was going on in this one but the art is gorgeous

[img/]http://d138hkes00e90m.cloudfront.net/release_images/revival-vol1-web.jpg[/img]

Revival, on one day in one small town all the dead come back to live....but do they come back right?

[img/]http://d138hkes00e90m.cloudfront.net/release_images/LAZARUS_TPB.jpg [/img]

a dystopian where only a few families control all the wealth in a post apocalyptic future...protagonist is the families "lazurus" she does not die..

[img/]http://thecomixverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/bedlam-vol1-cov-web.jpg[/img]

is evil something you're born with or can it be cured? an ex super villan (a psychotic version of the joker) is "cured" and now must settle into a normal life

Kaleion said:
That's what seems to come off the top of my head, now I will admit that I haven't read that many comics, might be worth noting that I seem to have a particular liking towards Noir detective stuff when it comes to other media and that I really like high contrast art with bold shadows
hmmm...I kinda forgot the name but there also...Fuse? the Fuse? two detectives on a space station...I haven't read it but its like crime

I think I tend to like art that uses appealing colors and doesn't go overboard with the rendering (my favorites incluse copperhead and east of west...I probably have a thing for orange) but I'm not too fussy, the only time the art has ever really put me off was Mind MGMT which is a shame because its apparently really good
Vault! you need to find some more comics to recommend because you always recommend good ones.

SquidVicious

Apr 20, 2011
Country
United States
While it's already been mentioned I'd also highly recommend checking out Saga by Brian K. Vaughan (who also wrote The Runaways) and illustrated by Fiona Staples. It's only at maybe 25 issues now, so you can still get in on the ground floor.

As for superhero stuff I tend to read things tangentially connected to the main universes continuity as I feel it allows writers more flexibility. The Alias series from Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Gaydos follows a mostly forgotten superheroine as she tries to live a normal life as a private investigator. It was part of Marvel's MAX imprint which was for mature audiences, and while it takes full advantage of being able to get away with swearing and violence, it doesn't do it in the immature way you'd expect. It only lasted 23 issues and I believe was recently rereleased as a 1 volume omnibus that's definitely worth picking up. The follow-up, The Pulse is also pretty good, although that has some annoying connections to the (then) ongoing events of the Marvel Universe which made some of the stories confusing if you didn't know what had happened before.

As for DC's comic, I never pass up an opportunity to recommend Gotham Central which is police procedural starring the Major Crimes Unit of GCPD. Ed Brubaker is the author and he really knows how to do crime fiction right, even if he does sometimes feel like he's just copying The Wire or Homicide: Life on the Street. That might scratch your noir itch, and I've heard good things about his Criminal series, although I haven't read it yet.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
CaptainMidlands said:
The Punisher: Welcome Back, Frank (In fact anything from the Garth Ennis Punisher run)
Alien vs Judge Dredd vs Predator
Superman: Red Son

I really enjoyed all three and recommend them (AvJDvP has just had a rerelease too)

If like me however you find your a Marvel fan but are sick and tired of "lol American super hero" then another good one for me was Captain Britain and MI:13 which looks at the Secret Invasion from a British stand point and leads on from there.
I'm not really a fan of The Punisher but I guess I could give it a try, though I'll admit I probably won't, I guess I just don't like the character.
Red Son has been on my list for a while maybe I should get to it and I haven't read any AVP or Judge Dredd but if Judge Dredd is like the movie Dredd then it might be worth a read as that sounds entertaining.
As for Captain Britain, huh I never even thought about him, I guess he must do something, it does sound interesting but I try to avoid big event comics the gigantic crossover makes everything hard to keep track off and if you only follow one it tends to feel like you missed a pretty important part, so I'll probably pass unless it's really self contained.
LoathsomePete said:
While it's already been mentioned I'd also highly recommend checking out Saga by Brian K. Vaughan (who also wrote The Runaways) and illustrated by Fiona Staples. It's only at maybe 25 issues now, so you can still get in on the ground floor.

As for superhero stuff I tend to read things tangentially connected to the main universes continuity as I feel it allows writers more flexibility. The Alias series from Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Gaydos follows a mostly forgotten superheroine as she tries to live a normal life as a private investigator. It was part of Marvel's MAX imprint which was for mature audiences, and while it takes full advantage of being able to get away with swearing and violence, it doesn't do it in the immature way you'd expect. It only lasted 23 issues and I believe was recently rereleased as a 1 volume omnibus that's definitely worth picking up. The follow-up, The Pulse is also pretty good, although that has some annoying connections to the (then) ongoing events of the Marvel Universe which made some of the stories confusing if you didn't know what had happened before.

As for DC's comic, I never pass up an opportunity to recommend Gotham Central which is police procedural starring the Major Crimes Unit of GCPD. Ed Brubaker is the author and he really knows how to do crime fiction right, even if he does sometimes feel like he's just copying The Wire or Homicide: Life on the Street. That might scratch your noir itch, and I've heard good things about his Criminal series, although I haven't read it yet.
So general consensus seems to indicate I should prioritize reading Saga, seems it's the most suggested, I did like what little I read of it so yeah I guess I'll put it first on the list.

And yes, thanks for reminding me Alias existed I remember hearing of it but I forgot, sounds like something I might like, plus I remember hearing it's gonna be covered in the oncoming Netflix Marvel shows, so I wanted to familiarize myself with it before that happens, anyway this sounds good to me.

And Gotham Central sounds good too, and it has also been brought up several times so I'll keep it in mind.
DementedSheep said:

Hmmm...

Chew. It's about a federal agent who gets psychic impression from things he eats and it is hilarious.

I would recommend the kid loki run from JiM (its about a super villain who now a kid and is somehow not crap). It only runs for 31 issues and has a decent end point (which is much better if you don't know the spoiler for though it bit hard to avoid that now) so won't kill your wallet but its kinda hard to get into because it has a whole bunch of lead up, crossovers and its reading order isn't straight forward so you have have to put in a bit of effort to make sense of it.

Unsounded is a web comic but I'm going to recommend it anyway. http://www.casualvillain.com/Unsounded/
I've heard about Chew before, sounds interesting and I'm sure I've got at least one issue of it somewhere, I'll read the first ones to see if I like it.

As for Kid Loki I don't mind confusion but if there's a bunch of stuff that I miss I might have to read to fully understand what's going on I might have to pass, you know crossover stuff is kind off a bother, with the movies it's fun because there's only 2 of them per year but there are way too many comics to keep track of everything...

And webcomics are welcome too, they're the same except they are normally free, it's just that there are so many bad ones and I'm too lazy to look around and see which ones I like, but I follow a couple, actually I think I only follow Cucumber Quest and Stand Still and Stay Silent, but anyway I'll most likely read this since it doesn't require going out, spending money or waiting for the package, though I actually read most of my comics digitally because they take no space and my old collection kinda burned in a fire and I can't simply access it again via the internet which is highly inconvenient.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
DementedSheep said:
Vault! you need to find some more comics to recommend because you always recommend good ones.
lol thanks, Copperhead and Southern bastards are new editions

though the truth is I start new comics at a rate so fast I lose track, it doesn't help that usually the next trade takes so long to come around and I don't have the patience to keep up with issues

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Kaleion said:
CaptainMidlands said:
The Punisher: Welcome Back, Frank (In fact anything from the Garth Ennis Punisher run)
Alien vs Judge Dredd vs Predator
Superman: Red Son

I really enjoyed all three and recommend them (AvJDvP has just had a rerelease too)

If like me however you find your a Marvel fan but are sick and tired of "lol American super hero" then another good one for me was Captain Britain and MI:13 which looks at the Secret Invasion from a British stand point and leads on from there.
I'm not really a fan of The Punisher but I guess I could give it a try, though I'll admit I probably won't, I guess I just don't like the character.
Red Son has been on my list for a while maybe I should get to it and I haven't read any AVP or Judge Dredd but if Judge Dredd is like the movie Dredd then it might be worth a read as that sounds entertaining.
As for Captain Britain, huh I never even thought about him, I guess he must do something, it does sound interesting but I try to avoid big event comics the gigantic crossover makes everything hard to keep track off and if you only follow one it tends to feel like you missed a pretty important part, so I'll probably pass unless it's really self contained.
LoathsomePete said:

So general consensus seems to indicate I should prioritize reading Saga, seems it's the most suggested, I did like what little I read of it so yeah I guess I'll put it first on the list.

And yes, thanks for reminding me Alias existed I remember hearing of it but I forgot, sounds like something I might like, plus I remember hearing it's gonna be covered in the oncoming Netflix Marvel shows, so I wanted to familiarize myself with it before that happens, anyway this sounds good to me.

And Gotham Central sounds good too, and it has also been brought up several times so I'll keep it in mind.
DementedSheep said:

Hmmm...

I've heard about Chew before, sounds interesting and I'm sure I've got at least one issue of it somewhere, I'll read the first ones to see if I like it.

As for Kid Loki I don't mind confusion but if there's a bunch of stuff that I miss I might have to read to fully understand what's going on I might have to pass, you know crossover stuff is kind off a bother, with the movies it's fun because there's only 2 of them per year but there are way too many comics to keep track of everything...

Well I remembered seeing a summary about the lead up [http://xparrot.livejournal.com/157649.html] and a blog with reading order [http://journey-into-mystery.tumblr.com/post/30097993112/kidlokiguide] if it interests you. I suppose you don't really have to read the other stuff, which is good because I didn't like fear itself.

Kaleion said:
And webcomics are welcome too, they're the same except they are normally free, it's just that there are so many bad ones and I'm too lazy to look around and see which ones I like, but I follow a couple, actually I think I only follow Cucumber Quest and Stand Still and Stay Silent, but anyway I'll most likely read this since it doesn't require going out, spending money or waiting for the package, though I actually read most of my comics digitally because they take no space and my old collection kinda burned in a fire and I can't simply access it again via the internet which is highly inconvenient.
Cool, some people get weird about web comics not being real comics. Then you definitely should check out Unsounded since it's free anyway. The basic plot is about a daughter of a crime lord who been sent by her father to collect the money owed to him by one of his branches with the aid of undead spell caster who has been strong armed into helping them but the wider plot is more political. It is not low quality with pages like this and it's update schedule still manages to be pretty damn good.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
DementedSheep said:
Well that seems like a manageable amount so I may check out Kid Loki, I think I'm just going to bookmark this thread because it'll take a long time to read all the stuff that seems interesting.

As for web comics, some people are silly, and damn that's some really good art in that page, I'll bookmark it or something.

Liham

Apr 17, 2009
I can Heartily reccomend Saga, probably the best comic since Watchmen.
But as for things others haven't mentioned yet, check out Northlanders, it's a viking story about a varangian guardsman who returns to his home, also good is 6-gun Gorilla, which is not half as stupid as it sounds.

InsaneFool

The Dude Abides
Jan 18, 2010
Re: 100 Bullets

Kaleion said:
What's it about? Is it ongoing? Is it long?
Just stuff I'd like to know.
Its a 13 book graphic novel series published by Vertigo. The main premise is that each book has 2-3 short stories wherein a man approaches seemingly random strangers with a briefcase = inside the case is 100% irrefutable proof that they have been wronged by someone in a major way, an air-tight alibi, a fresh gun and 100 untraceable bullets. As the each story is resolved you slowly begin to see bigger things at work behind the scenes.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Liham said:
I can Heartily reccomend Saga, probably the best comic since Watchmen.
But as for things others haven't mentioned yet, check out Northlanders, it's a viking story about a varangian guardsman who returns to his home, also good is 6-gun Gorilla, which is not half as stupid as it sounds.
I know, I stayed up until 4AM reading it last night, I'm not sure why I dropped it because I remember reading it back when it started, in any case it's good, I'll catch up with it or something.
I'll keep an eye for those other 2, it seems like I have a lot of reading to do O_O
InsaneFool said:
Re: 100 Bullets

Kaleion said:
What's it about? Is it ongoing? Is it long?
Just stuff I'd like to know.
Its a 13 book graphic novel series published by Vertigo. The main premise is that each book has 2-3 short stories wherein a man approaches seemingly random strangers with a briefcase = inside the case is 100% irrefutable proof that they have been wronged by someone in a major way, an air-tight alibi, a fresh gun and 100 untraceable bullets. As the each story is resolved you slowly begin to see bigger things at work behind the scenes.
Sounds really interesting I think I might like, I'll try to buy it soon.

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
Planetary and Lucifer, if you enjoy Sandman. Planetary is basically meta-commentary on the century of comics, and Lucifer follows the titular character after his very memorable day in Hell from Season of Mists.

Cape comics I'd recommend Ellis' runs of Stormwatch and initial 12 issues of Authority - it went under Millar after those.

Dark Horse also has Witcher miniseries. Seemed promising by first issue I got with Wild Hunt pre-order, but didn't buy the rest.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
First off, nice avatar.

Secondly, read "Y: The Last Man". No, seriously. Do it now. You can read it in literally one day if you really try. It's only ten paperbacks long, and it's fucking fantastic. Do it. DO IT. Don't even bother reading the rest of this post, GO READ "Y: THE LAST MAN".

Saga is also fucking great. I don't want to say anything more about it, you should really go in with no information.

PS: Seriously, though. "Y: The Last Man".

Slayer4472

Sep 1, 2014
I'm not a huge comics fan, but you'll want to look at Kingdom Come, from DC.

Basically, it's a huge punchup between Silver Age idealism and Dark Age grittiness (that, and plenty of people die).

The art is pretty damn beautiful, too.

Jack Action

Not a premium member.
Sep 6, 2014
Planetary, Transmetropolitan and Supergod. Also Black Summer's fairly entertaining. Warren Ellis is good, though he gets a bit repetitive.

Also, I'll second Sandman, and add the spinoff, Lucifer.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Auberon said:
Planetary and Lucifer, if you enjoy Sandman. Planetary is basically meta-commentary on the century of comics, and Lucifer follows the titular character after his very memorable day in Hell from Season of Mists.

Cape comics I'd recommend Ellis' runs of Stormwatch and initial 12 issues of Authority - it went under Millar after those.

Dark Horse also has Witcher miniseries. Seemed promising by first issue I got with Wild Hunt pre-order, but didn't buy the rest.
I really need to read Sandman then, I'll get around to it, I already started Saga because too many suggestions for it and it's kind off amazing, but that means everything else has to wait, in any case this wasn't short term, I do plan to read most of what has been suggested eventually, and yeah I probably should read something by Ellis, I keep hearing he's pretty good, and The Witcher seems interesting but I haven't played the games yet and I think I'd probably read the books, since supposedly those are really good, maybe after I read the books or play the games.
Robot Number V said:
First off, nice avatar.

Secondly, read "Y: The Last Man". No, seriously. Do it now. You can read it in literally one day if you really try. It's only ten paperbacks long, and it's fucking fantastic. Do it. DO IT. Don't even bother reading the rest of this post, GO READ "Y: THE LAST MAN".

Saga is also fucking great. I don't want to say anything more about it, you should really go in with no information.

PS: Seriously, though. "Y: The Last Man".
I've heard lots of people rave about Y: The Last Man, if I'm honest the premise doesn't sound that interesting to me, but I do have it on my list because it must have been really well done for people to talk about it like that.

And yes, Saga is great, so glad I'm reading it now.
[sup][sup]Thanks but I didn't make it here's [http://not-a-comedian.tumblr.com/post/95332266185/youve-caused-me-to-weep-youve-caused-me-to] the source if you want it.[/sup][/sup]
Slayer4472 said:
I'm not a huge comics fan, but you'll want to look at Kingdom Come, from DC.

Basically, it's a huge punchup between Silver Age idealism and Dark Age grittiness (that, and plenty of people die).

The art is pretty damn beautiful, too.
I'm not a fan of events but I keep hearing about Kingdom Come and 52, so I guess I probably should give them a go.
Jack T. Pumpkin said:
Planetary, Transmetropolitan and Supergod. Also Black Summer's fairly entertaining. Warren Ellis is good, though he gets a bit repetitive.

Also, I'll second Sandman, and add the spinoff, Lucifer.
Is Black Summer the one about the super hero that kills the president? I think I've heard about it, sounds interesting, Transmetropolitan seems weird but I've heard so much about it that I'm probably going to end up reading it.

And yeah, it seems like I really need to read Sandman.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
Ratfist. One of the best American comics I've ever read. It's relatively short, but the character arc and the ending is excellent. The first 50 pages are free online.