I played for the first time a pure MMO...some questions please...

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
I just started playing WildStars just today and it look nice.
But I have some issues with the combat...

It is just me, or it seems I can only attack with by pressing numbers?
I thought you could press Left/Right mouse buttons to attack like in Path or Exile for example [no a pure MMO as you know]

Did I miss something?

Also btw, why the enemies don't attack me? I just literally go inside their bodies and they don't do a thing but only when I attack first....

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
No WIldstar is called a "HotKey" mmo. Meaning every attack relates to a button on your hotbar. If you want to play an mmo with a more action combat feel, I would suggest Tera, or Blade and Soul, leaning more towards Blade and Soul since it is fairly new in English speaking countries and has a decent player base still. Both of those MMO's are worth a try if you want to use your mouse buttons to attack, in conjunction with hotkeys for special combos and abilities.

Also early area's of MMO's tend to have "neutral" monsters, this means that they monsters wont do anything until you hit them first. However once you get past the starting areas, then monsters become aggressive, and will attack you if you get too close.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
CritialGaming said:
No WIldstar is called a "HotKey" mmo. Meaning every attack relates to a button on your hotbar. If you want to play an mmo with a more action combat feel, I would suggest Tera, or Blade and Soul, leaning more towards Blade and Soul since it is fairly new in English speaking countries and has a decent player base still. Both of those MMO's are worth a try if you want to use your mouse buttons to attack, in conjunction with hotkeys for special combos and abilities.

Also early area's of MMO's tend to have "neutral" monsters, this means that they monsters wont do anything until you hit them first. However once you get past the starting areas, then monsters become aggressive, and will attack you if you get too close.
Thank you for telling me....this is new to me.
I had plans to play Guild Wars 2 as well. Is this also a Hotkey MMO?

Btw, how the heck can you dodge an enemy if your hand constantly trying to press the attack buttons and the directions buttons to make the move? This is very strange to me.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
SweetShark said:
CritialGaming said:

Btw, how the heck can you dodge an enemy if your hand constantly trying to press the attack buttons and the directions buttons to make the move? This is very strange to me.
You can click on the hotbar with your mouse while strafing, or get a 'MMO' mouse (A mouse with an absolute shit ton of thumb buttons).

I wouldn't do the second one unless you're really sold on the concept.

Also, I believe FF14 occasionally has free weekends. It supports controllers which work a bit better (Inside of FF14's gameplay) when it comes to movement.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
AccursedTheory said:
SweetShark said:
CritialGaming said:

You can click on the hotbar with your mouse while strafing, or get a 'MMO' mouse (A mouse with an absolute shit ton of thumb buttons).

Also, I believe FF14 occasionally has free weekends. It supports controllers which work a bit better (Inside of FF14's gameplay) when it comes to movement.
Does WildStar support controllers? Maybe using a controller is more suitable for me playing these kind of MMO.
I mean, I heard someone playing a MOBA game with a controller, so why not these games as well.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
SweetShark said:
Does WildStar support controllers? Maybe using a controller is more suitable for me playing these kind of MMO.

I mean, I heard someone playing a MOBA game with a controller, so why not these games as well.
I imagine you can play virtually anything with a controller, but in the case of precision movement MMOs like Wildstar, WoW, GW2, etc I wouldn't recommend it. For ability activation it would be fine, but your movement would be completely borked. Unlike most games native to gamepads, there is no "turning" animation to accompany movement via the gamepad. You snap instantly via mouselook, and the game is often tuned around that fluidity of movement.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
SweetShark said:
AccursedTheory said:
SweetShark said:
CritialGaming said:

That's why companies invented dedicated MMO mice for these types of mmos.

Like this one

I have one an it makes playing mmos so so much better.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
SweetShark said:

I imagine you can play virtually anything with a controller, but in the case of precision movement MMOs like Wildstar, WoW, GW2, etc I wouldn't recommend it. For ability activation it would be fine, but your movement would be completely borked. Unlike most games native to gamepads, there is no "turning" animation to accompany movement via the gamepad. You snap instantly via mouselook, and the game is often tuned around that fluidity of movement.
So...I guess I will unistall WildStar and I will never touch a HotKey MMO ever again...
I just can't believe it! For the first time I decided to play a simple MMO and I discovered it is the most disappointed thing I ever played!!!
The kicker is I LOVE the look of the game and the cinematics. I love the world of the game that make me hurt! OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!

I hope at least the Action MMO CritialGaming said to me worth my time...

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Arina Love said:
SweetShark said:
AccursedTheory said:
SweetShark said:
CritialGaming said:

Holy sh*t how you can play with this thing? Are you telling to use my thumb to press the attack/abilities of my character?
I never used my thumb in my mouse.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
SweetShark said:
So...I guess I will unistall WildStar and I will never touch a HotKey MMO ever again...

I just can't believe it! For the first time I decided to play a simple MMO and I discovered it is the most disappointed thing I ever played!!!

The kicker is I LOVE the look of the game and the cinematics. I love the world of the game that make me hurt! OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!!

Without knowing specifically what you're complaining about I find it impossible to tell you whether you should "never play a hot key MMO again", but the vast majority of PC exclusive titles are mouse/keyboard native. Even hyper action games like Overwatch or TF2 are mouse/keyboard native, and you'll be at a wild disadvantage trying to play with a gamepad.

This includes TERA, Blade and Soul, and all other MMOs, no matter how "action" they are. The only games that perform better with a gamepad are games that were designed to be native to it. Dark Souls comes immediately to mind, and I'm sure there are a few other console ports that lend themselves towards controller-preference.

PS - You probably shouldn't get too attached to Wildstar anyway, it's not long for this world.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
SweetShark said:
AccursedTheory said:
SweetShark said:
CritialGaming said:

I don't know, but I doubt it.

FF14 was basically built around a controller. It does a lot of neat things with the interface that make using one really shine, but they had to put a lot of work into doing so - It's not as simple as a one for one button scheme.

I know WoW, Guild Wars, and SWTOR haven't put that work in. I really doubt Wildstar has.

SquallTheBlade

May 25, 2011
SweetShark said:
BloatedGuppy said:
SweetShark said:

You are not supposed to press the numbers to activate skills. You have tons of buttons in your keyboard. Rebind them to whatever is comfortable for you to press.Q, E, R, T, F, Z, X, C, V, B, Shift, Cap Lock, F1 etc. You get the point. You might be able to use modifiers too so for example pressing 1 would activate one skill and pressing Shift+1 would activate another.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
BloatedGuppy said:
SweetShark said:

Without knowing specifically what you're complaining about I find it impossible to tell you whether you should "never play a hot key MMO again", but the vast majority of PC exclusive titles are mouse/keyboard native. Even hyper action games like Overwatch or TF2 are mouse/keyboard native, and you'll be at a wild disadvantage trying to play with a gamepad.

This includes TERA, Blade and Soul, and all other MMOs, no matter how "action" they are. The only games that perform better with a gamepad are games that were designed to be native to it. Dark Souls comes immediately to mind, and I'm sure there are a few other console ports that lend themselves towards controller-preference.

PS - You probably shouldn't get too attached to Wildstar anyway, it's not long for this world.
Well, my main complain is that all the attacks are bind with the numbers of the Keyboard. At first I was trying to attack an enemy by clicking my mouse by instict. But even when I knew about the controls and how to attack, I was still trying to attack by my mouse...
Yes, I understand why is that, because they are like 10+ different kind of attacks you can bind by looking the interface.
I am trying to like the way it plays, but I can't. And this make me sad.

Maybe that why I didn't liked DOTA 2 as well...at least I think I could use the mouse button to attack....or I am wrong, I don't remember....

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
SweetShark said:
Arina Love said:
SweetShark said:
AccursedTheory said:
SweetShark said:
CritialGaming said:

Holy sh*t how you can play with this thing? Are you telling to use my thumb to press the attack/abilities of my character?
I never used my thumb in my mouse.
It's actually quite natural and i got used to it very quickly. i actually use WASD Q+E with 1-5 keys and all keys on that mouse when playing SWTOR, FFXIV. Incidentally if you into star wars, SWTOR is quite good mmo and the the fully voiced story lines for ALL classes is completely free.

sonicneedslovetoo

Jul 6, 2015
What I tend to do with MMO's like this is assign those hotkeys to 1,2,3,q,e,r,f,z,x,c possibly using 4 and 5 in there as well. Obviously 1-3 and QER are for the things you use all the time then for cooldowns I use ZXC. And for really long cooldowns(2+ minutes) I generally just click them.

Obviously though there are plenty of gaming addons you can get to do this more automatically, however I would be careful with some of them from Razer such as the Orbweaver as the palmrest's glue has a tendancy to melt and slough off, however the Tartarus doesn't have that problem and is pretty good all round.

Another thing you could use that could work with this is the Steam Controller, you would have to come up with your own control scheme for it but I'm pretty sure it can have enough buttons to work with most MMO's.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
SweetShark said:
Well, my main complain is that all the attacks are bind with the numbers of the Keyboard. At first I was trying to attack an enemy by clicking my mouse by instict. But even when I knew about the controls and how to attack, I was still trying to attack by my mouse...

Yes, I understand why is that, because they are like 10+ different kind of attacks you can bind by looking the interface.
I am trying to like the way it plays, but I can. And this make me sad.

Maybe that why I didn't liked DOTA 2 as well...at least I think I could use the mouse button to attack....or I am wrong, I don't remember....
Outside of pure (and simple) first person shooters, you're not going to find many games that restrict interactivity to the left/right mouse buttons. Usually they involve extra keystrokes. With a LAS of only 8-10 buttons, Wildstar is actually one of the simpler/more streamlined MMOs on the market.

Probably just not a genre for you.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
SquallTheBlade said:
SweetShark said:
BloatedGuppy said:
SweetShark said:

You are not supposed to press the numbers to activate skills. You have tons of buttons in your keyboard. Rebind them to whatever is comfortable for you to press.Q, E, R, T, F, Z, X, C, V, B, Shift, Cap Lock, F1 etc. You get the point. You might be able to use modifiers too so for example pressing 1 would activate one skill and pressing Shift+1 would activate another.
My main problem as I said is using the keyboard to select your powers.
Now don't get me wrong, I use my keyboard to play games like Starcraft, Diablo 3 and similar games.
But not so many buttons. Especially when the main attack isn't one from my mouse buttons. I just can't play an RPG game like this.
It is like you asking me play Diablo by pressing the whole time the button "1" to simple attack. F*ck.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
SweetShark said:
SquallTheBlade said:
SweetShark said:
BloatedGuppy said:
SweetShark said:

My main problem as I said is using the keyboard to select your powers.
Now don't get me wrong, I use my keyboard to play games like Starcraft, Diablo 3 and similar games.
But not so many buttons. Especially when the main attack isn't one from my mouse buttons. I just can't play an RPG game like this.
It is like you asking me play Diablo by pressing the whole time the button "1" to simple attack. F*ck.
Yes it can be a bit jarring for people completely new to the genre, but at the end of the day it's only a matter of getting used to it. And most new people tend to get used to it by the time they are done leveling their character and going in to endgame.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
SweetShark said:
I am trying to like the way it plays, but I can't. And this make me sad.

I can't speak for Blade and Soul, but Tera has the ability to bind two skills to your left and right mouse buttons.

The left button is, by default, bound to your class' standard attack ability, while right click is usually your dodge skill.
If you have a mouse with multiple buttons, you can bind more abilities to those, but otherwise you're stuck using the hotkeys of 1-= and F1-F12. You can rebind as many or as few keys as you want/need for your class and playstyle (For example, when I played my Priest, I re-bound the '-' and '=' hotkeys to Q and E.)

Judging by what you've said so far, Tera might be more your style of play, since you can use the mouse to attack, but then again, all your skills will be bound to the hotbar. In Tera you generate Mana through your standard attack, so combat generally begins with a skill or two, as you'll usually have full Mana, then a few regular attacks, then some more skills, and then attack a few times to get back the Mana you spent, repeating the cycle until something dies. Melee classes play differently, because they usually have 0 mana at the start of a fight unless they have gear that gives them MP regen. They have skills which can give them a quick Mana injection, but once melee classes come out of combat, their Mana decays.

The only thing I can really definitively say is that you either just need more experience with the genre, or it's just not a genre for you.