I really, really want to enjoy Morrowind :( Tips?

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
The travel system in Morrowind is actually really good. You just need to make sure you've got mark and recall (marks a spot and teleports you toward it), divine and alemensi intervation (teleports you to the nearest imperial shrine and temple), have a way of flight and have boots of blinding speed.
You don't need to be always be able to fly, but you do need to be able to cross mountains, rivers, canyons etc etc. Boots of blinding speed boosts your speed with 200, but it blinds you for 100%. So you either are going to run blindly, or you're going to make yourself imune to it's magic. (There are ways for that, but it's cheating a bit, so you'll have to find out how by yourself.)

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I have the same problems, it's one of those games where everyone seems to agree that it's the best in a series (and I usually agree with those) but I just did not enjoy playing Morrowind, at least not as much as Oblivion and Skyrim. It's simply not such a good game to me. Even with some mods, there were just too many things that made playing the game a chore for me rather than something entertaining.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
solemnwar said:
I really, really want to enjoy Morrowind. I really do. The world is gorgeous (even more so with a graphics overhaul) and big (mildly annoying, the lack of fast travel, but I can deal with that) and there's so much lore and things and usually stuff that I like.

But I just. Can't. Get into it. The combat is just so atrocious and the journal so poorly set up that just. Ugghlaskdlfjas.
(And before someone goes "well the journal's realistic blah blah", if I were recording important information involving people's quests, I would write information on the same quest ON THE SAME FUCKING PAGE not a million pages later. And how many of you write down every conversation you have ever? I mean really).

I also have no idea really what I'm doing or where to go for things and just. Argh. I'm not an old school gamer, I didn't start properly gaming until 2009, and before that all I had were LINEAR FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS (good ones, like the original Unreal). So I really don't know what to do with myself here. I'm wandering aimlessly and getting murdered by BUGS (until I ~tgm out of frustration that is!) and generally not having a terribly good time.

Whine about "omg new gamer/casual noobs ruining our games" all you like I don't really give a shit.

I just want to know if you guys, with more old-game experience than I, can give me some tips to enjoy the game. And if not well. I tried. lol Maybe someone else struggling to enjoy the game can get some use out of this thread, if only that they're not alone, hahahaha.
If you own skyrim, try this on for size
http://morroblivion.com/forums/skyrim/skywind-mod-releases/3323

Its still in alpha

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
I loved the world building in this game. I really got a sense that i was somewhere truly alien when wandering about. Something that Oblivion and Skyrim couldn't do. I absolutely hated the gameplay. Also when I learned that you essentially have to exploit the leveling system in order to get a decently powerful character I really started to feel my eyes glaze over.

I really wanted to like this game but I just didn't have the patience for it.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I wanted to enjoy Morrowind but the combat was the thing that just killed it for me.

As Vern5 stated the combat is about stats, however that is just not really something I find acceptable when you the player are controlling the character from a first person perspective, this isn't like Dragon Age where the character is for lack of a better explanation: listening to orders. In Morrowind YOU are the character and in a first person perspective I feel that the game isn't letting me take my own abilities into account which sucks me right out of the immersion. It turns into you butting up against an enemy and just hammering the left click hoping the dice roll in your favor, vs dodging and knowing when to block yourself.

Morrowind ain't a bad game, not at all it's probably the most deep and interesting lore filled game of it's kind it's just I can't immerse myself when numbers are dictating my skill. A game I enjoy watching but I just wont play it because it's combat ruins it for me.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
Don't bother, it is disgusting when it comes to gameplay and until someone makes a magical wonder mod to fix that I refuse to touch the game again. I hated morrowinds dice roll combat and broken hit boxes (see: cliff racers) it wasnt until oblivion I was able to get back into the elder scrolls.

Ouroboros0977

Jan 1, 2009
The Eupho Guy said:
uncanny474 said:
Gottesstrafe said:
uncanny474 said:
endtherapture said:
WHY DO I WALK SO SLOW IN MORROWIND?
Four words. Boots of Blinding Speed. (assuming you don't want to cheat)

http://uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:pemenie_and_the_Boots_of_Blinding_Speed
Two words: Jump Everywhere.

Addendum: Scroll of Icarian Flight.
That will just crater you.
Only if you aren't careful. Slowfall spells and levitation are your friends.
An always on slowfall 1 enchanted item, same fall speed, no fall damage.

II2

Mar 13, 2010
Honestly, it's admirable you gave it a shot, but it's one of those 'you had to have been there' games.

It was a brilliant game for its time, a sequel to Daggerfall for the Xbox and PC, but it hasn't aged well. The combat is floatly and bizarre because it's just a handwave graphical representation of 'behind the screen' dice rolls that determine success.

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
rutger5000 said:
endtherapture said:
WHY DO I WALK SO SLOW IN MORROWIND?
Cause you don't have boots of blinding speed, which you really need.
You don't NEED the Boots of Blinding speed. Hell, I've never bothered to get them and I've been playing Morrowind since the GOTY version came out. What you do NEED is a few levels to drop some points into your Speed attribute and time to beef up your Athletics skills.

It's all about stats. All of it.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I love Morrowind, but the game is broken as heck when it comes to the actual gameplay mechanics. The system is really good hypothetically, as it lets the player character improve based upon how the player uses the character. Unfortunately, it usually doesn't quite work out so well in practice, as the game does favor certain tactics over others.

capcha: that's enough.

Yes it is capcha. Yes it is.

keosegg

Jul 9, 2011
Fasckira said:
Why do you really really want to enjoy it? I mean ultimately its not everyone's cup of tea and if you aren't getting along with it then it could be wiser to try another game to spend time with?
I agree. If it isn't sitting right with you during the first few mission it won't sit right with you at all.

Jimmy T. Malice said:
Here's what you need to enjoy Morrowind: A good ol' set of nostalgia goggles!

Seriously, it's the only way.
Yeah, I also agree with you. The game isn't as good as people make it out to be. If anything, the Elder Scrolls games have been getting steadily better with each subsequent installment.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
solemnwar said:
I really, really want to enjoy Morrowind. I really do. The world is gorgeous (even more so with a graphics overhaul) and big (mildly annoying, the lack of fast travel, but I can deal with that) and there's so much lore and things and usually stuff that I like.

But I just. Can't. Get into it. The combat is just so atrocious and the journal so poorly set up that just. Ugghlaskdlfjas.
(And before someone goes "well the journal's realistic blah blah", if I were recording important information involving people's quests, I would write information on the same quest ON THE SAME FUCKING PAGE not a million pages later. And how many of you write down every conversation you have ever? I mean really).

I also have no idea really what I'm doing or where to go for things and just. Argh. I'm not an old school gamer, I didn't start properly gaming until 2009, and before that all I had were LINEAR FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS (good ones, like the original Unreal). So I really don't know what to do with myself here. I'm wandering aimlessly and getting murdered by BUGS (until I ~tgm out of frustration that is!) and generally not having a terribly good time.

Whine about "omg new gamer/casual noobs ruining our games" all you like I don't really give a shit.

I just want to know if you guys, with more old-game experience than I, can give me some tips to enjoy the game. And if not well. I tried. lol Maybe someone else struggling to enjoy the game can get some use out of this thread, if only that they're not alone, hahahaha.
With regard to the journal...you're gonna have to deal with that one. As for "fast travel", there are two ways: the legit one (silt-striders, ships/ boats and teleportation by certain mages in the Mages Guild) and the cheaty-face one; open the console by tapping the ~ key (or was it TAB...I don't remember) and type in COC "location, sublocation", for example COC "Vivec, Palace of Vivec" and press Enter. Using just COC "location" also works but will land you in water on several occasions (such as with Vivec).

As for melee combat, two things are important: a fairly high weapon skill stat (for instance Long Blade 40 or more) and a fairly high Agility Stat (preferably 70+). The higher both values are, the less you will miss.

Level up only when you are sure you will attain three +5 modifiers for stats (my main three attributes were always Strength, Intelligence and Agility). You will attain a +5 modifier when you have levelled up any amount of connected skills by 10 points. What I mean by this: to get the Agility +5 modifier you need to either raise one Agility skill (such as Marksmanship) by 10 points, or two Agility skills (Sneak & Block or some other combination) by 5 points, or three Agility skills by a variation of points (1-2-7, 1-3-6, 1-4-5, 2-2-6, 2-3-5, 2-4-4, 3-3-4).

There are three ways to raise a skill: repeated use (use the weapon/ spell, sneak/ jump around), special books (granting +1 to a skill upon reading) and trainers (NPCs that can provide "Training" for gold). Trainers are the way to go...especially Master Trainers. But you will need a lot of gold.

As for where to go: if you deliver the package to Caius Cossade's House in Balmora, you start the main quest. You could also choose to join a Guild (Thieves, Fighters, Mages)...or a House (Redoran, Hlaalu, Telvanni) or some other organization like the Imperial Legion or the Temple.

That should get you started. For more info check: http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/913818-the-elder-scrolls-iii-morrowind/faqs

Yarhj

Jan 17, 2013
Morrowind is a great game, but it's not for everyone, and that's OK. I could go on at great length about why I love Morrowind best of the Elder Scrolls games I played (oh wait, I did [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.398655-What-is-the-best-Elder-scrolls-game-out-of-Morrowind-Oblivion-and-Skyrim?page=4#16323728]). Instead I'll discuss some of the biggest issues with the game, and whether they can be worked around. But first, let me just say, there's nothing wrong with not liking Morrowind. It's a game, not a job, so don't let us Morrowind cultists make you feel bad about not liking it. Some people don't like pizza. They're wrong, but you know, to thine own self be true.

There are a number of problems which are really glaringly apparent in the early stages of the game. In my experience these are really frustrating in the first few hours of gameplay, and then you either get used to them, level up to the point where they're less of an issue, mod them, or quit.

Temporary issues
1. Glacial walk speed. You can mod this, but the quickest way to fix it is by just jumping everywhere or throwing gobs of money at trainers (train things that have speed as their primary attribute, and sink all of your stat points into your speed). You'll be jumping from one end of Balmora to the other in no time.

2. I can't hit anything! This can be pretty annoying early on, but once again, there are mods that change this behavior, or you can just throw money at it. By level 10 or so you'll be bringing in so much money that you'll be able to pick up whatever weapon proficiencies you want

3. Skills need to be at a pretty high level before they're reliable (sneak and marksman both come to mind), which can be frustrating even later in the game. Really this is just a more general statement of 1 and 2, but I like bullet points.

4. Ciff racers. Oh god the cliff racers. Get yourself a bow and sink 5-10k into marksman and they'll become a minor nuisance instead of the scourge of the skies.

5. Getting places takes forever, and there's no fast travel. While you can't just click on the map and zap somewhere, in practice there's almost always a way to fast travel from roughly where you are to roughly where you need to be. Keep a travel map [http://www.uesp.net/morrow/files/travelmap.gif] handy and you'll never be that far from where you need to be. Invest in the almsivi intervention, divine intervention, mark, and recall spells to further help you zap from place to place.

Of course, there are also things that won't really ever change. If these are dealbreakers for you, you're better off moving on.

Permanent issues
1. The graphics are not Skyrim-quality. They never will be. There are tons of great graphics mods out there, but it definitely takes a while to get them all playing nice on your computer. The only thing that's really necessary in my opinion is the graphics extender, to let you use modern monitor resolutions. While the baseline graphics aren't fantastic, they're not so bad as to pull me out of the game, but your mileage may vary. If you just hate the way everything looks, you can try mods to change it, but I wouldn't count on it helping all that much.

2. The journal is all over the place. Yes, the expansions do fix it a little bit, but it'll never be that great. The good news is, nothing in your journal is all that critical, but it will still be frustrating when you're trying to figure out whether you were supposed to kill DudewithlongnameA or DudewithlongnameB. I also don't like installing the expansions until I've finished (to whatever degree I'm comfortable with) the main game, but that's just me being OCD. The best thing to do here is to just google for whatever you've forgotten -- there are great online wikis with all the information you'll ever need for every quest. Even so, it's still annoying.

3. The combat will always be relatively simple and floaty. Eventually you'll be able to hit things, but combat will always consist of you clicking on things until they die.

4. The spell system is a little wonky. If you want to play a pure spellcaster you'll either end up leveling your alchemy like mad to make enough mana potions (which comes with its own balance issues), or you'll end up modding some aspects of the magic system to make it less painful, but it's never quite right.

Ultimately the only one who can say whether the game is good is you. It doesn't matter if I love it -- if you're not enjoying it after a few hours, move on and find something else that brings you more joy. Life's too short to play a game you don't enjoy.

tl;dr: There are definitely issues with Morrowind, but not all of them stick with you forever. For what's right about the game, read this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.398655-What-is-the-best-Elder-scrolls-game-out-of-Morrowind-Oblivion-and-Skyrim?page=4#16323728]. For what's wrong about the game, see above.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
My Morrowind as broken. I can start new games but I can't load up any save games after I quit and restart the game.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
endtherapture said:
My Morrowind as broken. I can start new games but I can't load up any save games after I quit and restart the game.

Is it modded? I'm wondering if some mods are loaded into your saves, and then were removed somehow.

Does it give you any error messages?

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
endtherapture said:

Do you have Morrowind Code Patch installed (if you have the overhaul, then the answer is yes)? If not, install it, then try it out. MCP fixes a lot of problems with savegames and such, so there is a decent chance that it might solve your problem. And even if it doesn't, it's something you really should have anyway.

Other than that, if your game is modded, look to see if there's anything that might be behaving strangely. You may just have to keep uninstalling stuff until you find what's causing the problem.

If neither of these things help, then I'm out of ideas.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
ohnoitsabear said:
endtherapture said:

Do you have Morrowind Code Patch installed (if you have the overhaul, then the answer is yes)? If not, install it, then try it out. MCP fixes a lot of problems with savegames and such, so there is a decent chance that it might solve your problem. And even if it doesn't, it's something you really should have anyway.

Other than that, if your game is modded, look to see if there's anything that might be behaving strangely. You may just have to keep uninstalling stuff until you find what's causing the problem.

If neither of these things help, then I'm out of ideas.
I've got the overhaul installed, and no other mods. I even started a clean game save and that doesn't load up properly, but I can start a new game very easily.

The game just loads up to the point where music of the game is playing but doesn't go any further than a black screen/load screen.