I REALLY Want to Like You!

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
pearcinator said:
You should maybe try KOTOR...although it has a similar combat system to Dragon Age...but it is my personal favourite RPG because the story is fantastic and I much prefer sci-fi to medieval (I still like medieval themed games but I like sci-fi more).

Even then that game took me a bit to get into...the first half hour or so was bad and I didn't really understand the controls. After that though I understood the controls and was so immersed in the world that I decided to put it down because I was hungry...I had played the game for 8 and a half hours straight (never have I done that before or since) and still hadn't even half-finished the tutorial planet (not because it was long but because I just kept finding stuff to do).

Give it a go and if you don't like the combat then thats the reason you don't like Dragon Age either...the combat is pretty strange but if you give it a chance it becomes fun.
Do I need KOTOR to enjoy KOTOR2? I'd rather skip straight to the game developed by Obsidian. I consider them far better story-tellers than pretty much anybody else in gaming atm.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Final fantasy XIII-2 . The original was a pretty good game. I liked then ending . BUT NOPE , Square-Enix Had to go and change the ending again for a sequel ( the first being FFX-2). I bought FFXIII-2 on day one giving it the benefit of the doubt , but man did i hate that game . No i didn't finish it nor do i have to will to . Serah and Noel are annoying as fuck , and the plot made no sense . In the end i was like fuck it , i am not having fun with this gamr , and the story isn't keeping me interested at all . So i dropped it all together .

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Amethyst Wind said:
pearcinator said:
You should maybe try KOTOR...although it has a similar combat system to Dragon Age...but it is my personal favourite RPG because the story is fantastic and I much prefer sci-fi to medieval (I still like medieval themed games but I like sci-fi more).

Even then that game took me a bit to get into...the first half hour or so was bad and I didn't really understand the controls. After that though I understood the controls and was so immersed in the world that I decided to put it down because I was hungry...I had played the game for 8 and a half hours straight (never have I done that before or since) and still hadn't even half-finished the tutorial planet (not because it was long but because I just kept finding stuff to do).

Give it a go and if you don't like the combat then thats the reason you don't like Dragon Age either...the combat is pretty strange but if you give it a chance it becomes fun.
Do I need KOTOR to enjoy KOTOR2? I'd rather skip straight to the game developed by Obsidian. I consider them far better story-tellers than pretty much anybody else in gaming atm.
Hmmm...not sure since I only got halfway through KOTOR 2. The story in KOTOR 2 is a lot more complex and I think that yeah you would need to play the 1st to understand it (even though it takes place some years after the 1st).

You can get through KOTOR 1 in 30 hours though...even with doing most sidequests. I would say give KOTOR 1 a go and if you like it play KOTOR 2 because the combat was polished a bit and the characters are far more complex and deeper than they are in KOTOR 1.

Get it on PC...its like $10 on Steam

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
The God of War series. I friggin love Greek mythology so I went in to the first game excited. I beat it, got half way through the second and just stopped playing. It wasn't necessarily boring and I can see why it gets its accolades, it just didn't resonate with me. Kratos is just an angry, one track minded character and the game wasn't much more than "kill anything that moves on your screen".

Scott Rothman

Feb 2, 2012
I've been really excited for Atlus's Dragon Crown for quite a bit now. Then I saw gameplay footage of the Sorceress.

Like, come on. Did they really think this was going to fly without pissing people off. I was so excited for this game, why do you have to go and make the character models so impossibly proportioned and SO sexualized. I want to like you. Don't make me hate you.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Dragon Age 2. I really wanted to play more in that world, but the plot was so weak in some respects... And the level/map recycling....

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Dragon's Dogma would've been good if they tweaked the inventory system, obliterated the romance system, shut the pawns up, and added mounts that could be summoned.

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
Brink.

I started out absolutely loving it....But after a few hours my friends and I just started to finally realize that the game was actually just incredibly clunky and unclean and just overall not particularly fun...

I WANTED TO LOVE YOU SO BAD, I TRIED SO HARD. WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME, BRINK?

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I really wanted to get into the Pearl Pokemon game. Me and a friend who loved the classic games decided to revive those days with the release of newer Pokemon games, but we just couldn't immerse into them.

For one there is no challenge at all (except that cave that required flash but I decided to go without). And speaking of the cave, it was pretty much the same adventure with the same elements. We didn't find them as charming as the previous games and the music was boring so I couldn't get into that either. Plus, there were hardly any Pokemon designs that we liked and none of the legendary's motivated us to look for them. After getting through most of the game in a day we just stopped caring.

I'm sure these all sound like little things but they add up. We really did try though and we were optimistic and stuff.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Zhukov said:
Does anyone else find that a lot of the posts in this thread come off as rather... mean spirited?

And now I've said that, I guess I can't ***** about that one game for fear of being a hypocrit.

Suffice to say, I think your favourite game is a worthless piece of shit and I resent you for liking it. So there.
Is that my personal favourite, or the collective favourite? Because I'm sure there are plenty of people who individually value at least some games higher than...damn, can't think of the name. Six letters, begins with a...a 'p' I think...nope, no clue.

OT: I'm going to say Assassin's Creed 3, but not necessarily because I wanted to like it - I'm perfectly happy for a game to flat out tell me "stop wasting your money I'm only going to get more linear" - but because I'd have liked to play a better Assassin's Creed game instead. Same with Mass Effect 3, I'd have loved diverging storylines and a plot that made sense, but I don't want to trick myself into liking the tripe I got. Otherwise I generally choose my purchases carefully, and am rarely surprised in a bad way, and every game I've heard good things about and then played has been pretty good for me as well.

Tazzman

Apr 20, 2013
Red Faction: Guerrilla. It started off really well and I loved the whole demolition side of the game, but about half way through the game changes for the worst. The fighting switched focus from me smacking people with the hammer to me having to use the assault rifle most of the time, the missions (especially the side missions) became repetitive do the same thing over with more enemies or less time, the story was rushed and no real character development took place. Pretty much the free roaming part is fun and I did just about finish it but the missions and story didn't really give me much motivation to do so.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
Knights of The Old Republic 2.

When I first played it, the unfinished nature of the game swarming with bugs and plotholes were the thing that put me right off:
From a gameplay perspective quests could be unfinishable, so many storylines went nowhere, there were clearly areas that were supposed to be used but never got included.
From a content perspective there was the weird retcon to the end of the first game that "Revan flew away with no explanation" and now the Sith have somehow taken over the galaxy despite my Revan purging them and leaving the Republic and Jedi firmly allied and in control.
There was the stupid plot twist of the evil companion you meet in nefarious circumstances at the beginning called Kreia is actually "Darth Traya" I mean, the names are so similar they literally rhyme, and the woman oozes evil and is basically insane, the game could never make it's mind up whether it should tell you straight out or keep it a secret, leading to ridiculous inconsistencies where it was revealed dramatically about 3 or 4 times throughout the game, and each time it would continue on as if your character had no idea, including the final boss battle which was a big plot revelation of "I AM TRAYA!" and even after that at the very end of the game you stand and have a conversation with her about your future like pals, before getting into the spaceship you just crashed in and saw fall down a crevice.

There are several things that are much improved from the first game, and I've heard the actual characterisations are good, and the take on the light/dark side is really smart and different, but I just could never get past the constant inconsistent plot and gameplay points, bugs and messed up quests that plagued that game.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
Mirrors Edge...Mainly because I LOVE watching speed runs on youtube it looks like so much fun but its just not fun for me to play :(

Also, its not a game but I REALLY want to love the PS Vita.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
assassin's creed franchise

i have played brother hood, revelations and the second one and i pity every second i wasted at them. i heard many good things about it and i tried and tried to like it but it was just sooooooo bad!

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Brutal Legend. I love everything about the game (the style, the entire idea of it, Jack Black, etc.), but the actual gameplay sucks a fat one.

Aside from the fact that the demo totally lied to me, the combat never really improved beyond the beginning stages of the game, the RTS elements were unpolished and dull, and as Yahtzee put it, the game has a nasty habit of not telling you shit that you can do.

But I wanted to like it so badly that I finished it.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Skyrim.

It had no soul at all. The NPCs were all completely hollow. I was as alone in the towns as I was in the wilderness. Wives, husbands and other companions were actually the worst offenders of all.

The old Infinity Engine games put yet another modern RPG to shame.

Echopunk

Jul 6, 2011
Condemned 2, but for reasons slightly outside the game itself. I enjoyed the first one a lot, despite getting a weird glitch at the end that plastered one of the Xbox desktop menus over a portion of the screen during the ending.

The item/achievement collection was annoying. I played through every area a couple of times because I wanted to get the holster or whatever else the collection offered for a given level. The game doesn't do well on replays, so collecting things became a chore. It made me vigilant enough to try and get all the "break 3 air freshener/speakers" things done in a first run through the levels.

I made it to the bowling alley section, and was collecting everything as I went along. My game froze. I had to reset and play the section again which became tedious. I made it to a certain point and realized I'd forgotten to grab one of the side objectives. I turned around to go back and I had a wall of mannequins in my way. I played the level over, remembered to complete the objective and missed something else. Didn't even bother turning around because I knew the mannequins were there again. I turned the game off, took the disk out, and haven't touched it since.

Crackdown 2 - I really enjoyed the first Crackdown game, but the demo for the second one left me cold enough that I just deleted it without even giving it a second play.

Red Faction Armageddon - I liked Guerrilla so much that I just had to play the sequel. My first hint of trouble was seeing the main character executing the now ubiquitous parkour during a cutscene. Problem one: Alec Mason, and any descendent of his would not parkour over an object. They would remove the object with a giant freaking sledge hammer.

I played the demo a couple of times, trying to convince myself that it could be as good as its predecessor, but it just didn't give me the same type of feeling.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
<== Look at my avatar...

Yeah... Guild Wars 2 :(

The beta's and hype left me completely burnt out by the time the game was released, like a flaccid penis right after a wank. I couldn't get myself to play the game for longer than a month. It's a real shame. The fuzzy feeling I got from playing the first Guild Wars was completely gone for me. Hopefully they rethink their plan of not making expansions.