I think I am going to stop playing videogames

chickenator88

Mar 24, 2013
I've got exactly the same "issue". A few years younger, I still play games but my girlfriend bought me SimCity 10 days ago, I bought Far Cry on impulse as it was on offer (damn you Steam!) a week later, and I'm bored of them both already, without going overkill on them (have a job, social life etc).

I just think it's growing up, we don't get immersed in the games as much as we used to, and certain things don't excite any more as we've seen them so many times before.

For example, when I was about 12 I was playing Fallout 2 and that at the time just totally dragged me in and I could replay it. Or on the original Xbox I had Jedi Academy and played it online non-stop when xbox live first started. Now-a-days I find it too difficult to get as into the games and skip over bits or do it half assed (constantly having SimCity on highest speed so it flies by, defeating the point).

Or maybe SimCity and FarCry 3 are just crap, who knows.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Go back in time brother. I only buy PS1/2 games anymore. There are very few exceptions, I usually buy three new games a year. And this year all I'm getting is Beeoshack Infinite and GTA V. I've had a hard time finding any new game I really like, but I just picked up Dragon Quest 8 and I love it. So maybe you just found your favorite games already. Go back and look for games you never heard of, there are still gems to mine in the past!

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Antwerp Caveman said:
Putting it all on eBay and be done with it.
This is just from my personal experience, but I wouldn't do that. I never played my PS1 and I sold all my games and gave the system away. A year or two later, I really regretted it, mostly because I wanted to play those games again (one was Final Fantasy VII, and it was worth $50 at that point). After that, I quit selling games unless I knew for a fact I'd never touch it again (Halo 2 was about it there) or unless I had it on another system.

I've stopped play games for a month or so and still kept all my systems hooked up to my TV and didn't turn on my PC. Did touch my Gamecube for years, but then started playing it again right after I moved (mostly for Metroid Prime 1/2). So, for me, I may not play it for years, but I'll keep it just in case I want to down the road. Again, though, that is just me, so it may be different for you.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Antwerp Caveman said:
Let's start 20 years ago.
When I was about 7, my dad got a Personal Computer. *wow*
When it turned on, the letters were in bright colors and even that blew my mind.
The computer after that, could even play some games, like platformers and stuff. Needless to say, I was hooked.
A few years later, got the classic Nintendo, a few years after that, the Nintendo 64. And many other videogame consoles followed.

Now, I'm 27 and I have an Xbox 360 and a Playstation 3 below my giant TV.
But it's just not really any fun anymore. It used to be that I got my mind blown by the new stuff, but lately nothing gets me excited anymore. The last game I really enjoyed was Alan Wake.

And now they're announcing the new videogamesystems like the PS4, which is going to be a PS3 with more RAM and social media functions. And the rumors of the new Xbox are similar, with an emphasis that used games can't be played on it.

And I can think of absolutely no reason to get one. Just no reason at all. Am I growing up? Am I growing out of a 2 decade phase? Or is it not me and is this industry the disappointment?

I have a few games left, Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 3, Assassins Creed 3 and Mass Effect 3. (not an original title among them) and I guess I'm done after that. Putting it all on eBay and be done with it.
If I work up the courage to do it that is.
You seem disenchanted with the console market..... My recommendation is to switch to PC if the new consoles don't float your boat. And with PC you get mods for games like Skyrim that make the game just that much better (see the Lydia chair movement mod, or the Paarthurnax dilemma).

Plus, as time goes on you can just upgrade a PC as need be, and not worry about spending $600 for the latest and greatest. You will have to throw this down for the initial investment, but from there it is up to you what changes and when, the industry will not control your wallet.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
You know, I gave up gaming when I was that age as well. Had too much other things going on that were more important at the time. Then a few years later, I came back to the hobby. That's how it goes sometimes. If you aren't enjoying the time you spend gaming, you're throwing good money after bad. And that doesn't help anyone.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
Antwerp Caveman said:
But it's just not really any fun anymore. It used to be that I got my mind blown by the new stuff, but lately nothing gets me excited anymore.
Just wait and see. Perhaps one day some title will come along that manages to excite you again. In my case that would be BioShock Infinite. Maybe in your case it'll be Metroid Prime 4 (if that's what it's gonna be called) or maybe Thief 4. Or maybe some "Shadow of the Colossus" style next gen game. You could try and go cold turkey for half a year (no gaming or gaming related stuff whatsoever) then check back to see if you've missed anything worthwhile.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Antwerp Caveman said:
Let's start 20 years ago.
When I was about 7, my dad got a Personal Computer. *wow*
When it turned on, the letters were in bright colors and even that blew my mind.
The computer after that, could even play some games, like platformers and stuff. Needless to say, I was hooked.
A few years later, got the classic Nintendo, a few years after that, the Nintendo 64. And many other videogame consoles followed.

But it's just not really any fun anymore. It used to be that I got my mind blown by the new stuff, but lately nothing gets me excited anymore. The last game I really enjoyed was Alan Wake.

And now they're announcing the new videogamesystems like the PS4, which is going to be a PS3 with more RAM and social media functions. And the rumors of the new Xbox are similar, with an emphasis that used games can't be played on it.

And I can think of absolutely no reason to get one. Just no reason at all. Am I growing up? Am I growing out of a 2 decade phase? Or is it not me and is this industry the disappointment?

I have a few games left, Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 3, Assassins Creed 3 and Mass Effect 3. (not an original title among them) and I guess I'm done after that. Putting it all on eBay and be done with it.
If I work up the courage to do it that is.
You sound a lot like my Brother. He mostly continues to play because, a lot of his friends, and myself included, really like games.

So what? The current generation isn't interesting. You'll either find an interesting game to play, or you'll do better things that interest you. :p