I think I found out why I don't like music

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
So about a year ago, I made a topic on why I can't get into music. After some searching and talking about how much rock band has gone into the realm of stupidity with its upcoming dlc focusing more on pop instead of rock music.

I hate the music industry. The same music industry that tells me I can't like rock music because they decided for me that I didn't like it. I can't walk into a store and buy any album I want because any music I like isn't stocked at stores anymore. I have to go to a record store. And the closest one is 20 minutes away.

I am a bigger threat to the music industry than piracy, because at least there's a chance a pirate will buy the music they like on iTunes. Me? There's no excuse for me to go out and buy cd's. No reason to go to concerts (though I'm not a big fan of concerts anyways).

I dunno, I'm just ranting and hoping this might cause a discussion that will make things more balanced.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Get Spotify.

All the music I like is old or indie as fuck. That's why I'm grabbing as much rock Vinyl as I possibly can before the fad is over and they disappear forever.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I love music, but I don't much like the music industry. Bit of a lack of creativity, copyright problems, the celebrities. It's about the same as the film industry, I suppose. Or the video games industry. A little worse in some ways, a little better in others, but they seem pretty similar.

Trends and bands come and go. The shelves won't be stocked with one genre of music indefinitely.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wait, I still don't get it? You don't like music because the music industry is... bad, or because the music industry doesn't like you for not liking music?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I honestly doubt anyone truly doesnt like -any- music. Thats just too broad. The issue is finding what you like, and perhaps lacking good sources.

Popular music is terrible, and most good radio stations dont last long. I however have Music Choice Alternative on my TV almost 24/7. Some shitty stuff, some decent stuff, but occasionally I find a new band to fall in love with.

I mostly just have trouble finding anyone to talk about music with.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Wait, I still don't get it? You don't like music because the music industry is... bad, or because the music industry doesn't like you for not liking music?
I consider it bad because it's oversaturating the market with pop, rap and hip hop. If I want to buy an album, I have very limited places to buy what I want to. I moved back to NJ and there are no rock radio stations.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Isn't this kinda' like saying you don't like the way McDonald's makes their burgers, therefore you don't like food?

Like you know the Western American Music Industry is like not even 1/10th of all the music that's produced right? There are literally millions of bands and groups, and hundreds of millions of songs, and hundreds of millions of them have nothing to do with the music industry.

I mean what, you don't like Miley Cyrus, therefore Bach sucks? Or did Kayne West really just spoil Japanese Pop sensation super group AKB48? God, I'd hate to know what Bruce Springsteen did to make you hate 18th Century Russian Folk Music.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Silentpony said:
Isn't this kinda' like saying you don't like the way McDonald's makes their burgers, therefore you don't like food?
It's more like I don't like food because my only option is McDonalds and nothing else.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
RaikuFA said:
Silentpony said:
It's more like I don't like food because my only option is McDonalds and nothing else.
Yeah but if you eat nothing but McDonalds and don't like McDonalds...that's kinda' on you dude. iTunes and Spotify have millions of songs not processed through the Music Industry. You just have to look.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Well, what are some bands you do like?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
RaikuFA said:
Casual Shinji said:
I consider it bad because it's oversaturating the market with pop, rap and hip hop.
Hasn't that always been the case though? It's called pop for a reason, and what's popular always gets a larger stage.

If I want to buy an album, I have very limited places to buy what I want to. I moved back to NJ and there are no rock radio stations.
I can't remember the last time I bought an album. I don't even have a CD player anymore, despite still having a fair amount of CD's. And there's always youtube to see to one's musical needs.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Majority of the music I listen to now is off of Youtube, and that's also how I find new bands.

There's very little "mainstream" music I listen to these days. I've found some really great bands off of Youtube and sometimes from Spotify and Pandora. Plus, I talk to people about music all the time and I find bands that I've never heard of before from them. Sometimes they're good, but sometimes I don't care for them. Kind of a crapshoot.

But yeah, I think just going down the Youtube hole and finding stuff is probably the best for you since I haven't darkened a record store in years.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
I don't know OP, you're sounding an awful lot like a "get off my lawn you kids" kind of codger here.

You can listen to whatever you want through whatever vendor you want. Be it Spotify, Youtube, Google Play, Itunes, Pandora, Radio, Sound Cloud, Band Camp, the list goes on. It's fine if you don't like commercial pop garbage, and it's also fine to be upset that music on physical media isn't really a thing anymore, but to say you don't like music because you don't want to look or adapt to new technology is your fault.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
RaikuFA said:
The same music industry that tells me I can't like rock music because they decided for me that I didn't like it.
What? When did they ever decide you didn't like it? They're just chasing after the largest crowd they can, but there's still plenty of producers putting out rock music if that's what you like.

I can't walk into a store and buy any album I want because any music I like isn't stocked at stores anymore.
Pretty much everyone now has unprecedented access to the music they like. Pandora, Spotify, Groove, Last.fm, and iHeartRadio all given tremendous access to streaming music. iTunes, Google Play, Windows Store, and Amazon all are popular sources for buying albums and songs digitally. You can also still get physical copies from Amazon, eBay, band sites, and various online stores. We're hardly limited to Walmart.

For me, as someone into metal in the United States, I don't have a lot of options. I might be able to find the occasional thrash metal or Iron Maiden album at a store, and Best Buy sometimes carries other stuff like Amon Amarth, but my options are very limited. But I have plenty of ways to get access to the music I like, and I listen to it all the time.

Basically, I'm not sure why the state of the popular music industry should stop you from enjoying what you like. Everyone can enjoy the music they like. It's just that some have easier access than others, but even they are unlikely to take advantage of it much anymore.

Rip Van Rabbit

~ UNLIMITED RULEBOOK ~
Apr 17, 2012
"I think I found out why I don't like the mainstream music industry"
Seems like a more fitting title going by the contents of your opening post.

To somewhat reiterate a point that was mentioned above, I think the amount of information/music identification software/forums/content platforms and user recommendations is staggering. If anything, we have waaaay more options to stumble across new music.

I realise that the mainstream music industry recycles, oversaturated and obscures potential diamonds under mountains of shit. (Same could be said of most industries and their batch of individualised issues.) So I don't blame anyone for feeling like it's an uphill battle to find a glimmer of exposure for whatever isn't within the recent trends.

All in all, I feel that's where our options like Youtube, Spotify, forums and such really shine. The industry sucks, but I wish you the best in your search for great music. :)

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
Hasn't that always been the case though? It's called pop for a reason, and what's popular always gets a larger stage.
Yeah pop music being popular should come off as as much a surprise as water being wet. After all by its very definition pop music is...you know, popular. The name "pop" being short for "popular" and all that.

Casual Shinji said:
If I want to buy an album, I have very limited places to buy what I want to. I moved back to NJ and there are no rock radio stations.
I can't remember the last time I bought an album.
If I don't count buying games that came with soundtrack, then I think the last one I bought was Limp Bizkit's Results May Vary or Linkin Park's Meteora. It'd be the one that came out later of the both, I imagine. So, it's been more than a decade ago.

I want to add that I haven't listened to radio by my own choice since nearly around then, either. I certainly won't count "being inside a vehicle that has had the radio switched on".

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
PsychicTaco115 said:
I only have three albums. Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1 by Helloween, Toxicity by System of a Down and Preachers of the Night by Powerwolf. Two of those were recommended by my one friend. I used to have a Lost prophets album but I lost it in the move and don't want to get a new one after what I heard happened.

Had a shit ton of gaming albums on my ipoh but after my brother stole it and sold it for drugs I don't anymore.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
RaikuFA said:
PsychicTaco115 said:
I only have three albums. Keeper of the Seven Keys Part 1 by Helloween, Toxicity by System of a Down and Preachers of the Night by Powerwolf. Two of those were recommended by my one friend. I used to have a Lost prophets album but I lost it in the move and don't want to get a new one after what I heard happened.

Had a shit ton of gaming albums on my ipoh but after my brother stole it and sold it for drugs I don't anymore.
I'm still having a bit of trouble understanding your title though...I mean, I got bored of most western music about five years ago and have mostly just stuck to the internet if I want new things because you can't get what I like nowadays in a physical form without paying an arm and leg in shipping costs. There's avenues out there if you don't like what your music aisle offers these days.

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
In the world of iTunes and the myriad other digital marketplaces, not to mention Spotify and the plethora of other online streaming options, your whinge about not being able to buy music makes no sense. And if you want physical copies, you just need to check out Amazon, eBay or the million other online stores that sell cds.

I'm struggling to understand the issue when music has never been more accessible than it is today.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
RaikuFA said:
Silentpony said:
Is the issue that you can't seem to find access to the music you like, or is it that you want a physical copy, but you can't find a vendor? Or are you just trying to find music that you like, but you don't know where to look?

Spotify is free, and it's wonderful. They even had the Protomen albums on there. You can find just about any music you want, download it, and build your own playlists. And they have tons of music stations and recommendations based on your preferences. I think they even have some audiobooks and poems on there. If all you want is a legal way to listen to and discover music, that's your best shot. I like weird Indy stuff, and there's a ton of it on there.

If the issue is access to physical media, then just order it on Amazon and have it shipped to you. You can find anything on there. Or visit you local Barnes and Noble. I've found entire aisles of weird music and movies. Tons of Vinyl, foreign films, and basically the whole Criterion collection.