I Think I'm Addicted to Star Trek Online

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Hmm, a contemporary essayist column; always interesting to read. Yes, i suppose that is what addiction is like. I also don't have a lot of experience with MMO's, but I do know that the developers can never add more content than that you can pay through, so I suppose that going back from time to time to check out all the new stuff can't do too much harm. Otherwise, if you do feel the addiction is causing you harm, the only remedy is the same as for all other addictions: abstinence.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
As someone who has played MMOs for many, many years now, I'm of the opinion that once you start feeling like you HAVE to do something (IE: grind away in-game, do dailies, et al) versus doing something because you WANT to, that is what makes you an addict.

If the idea of not playing for a day for ____ reason makes you anxious/mad/cranky, you have a problem and it's time to step back a little.

Just my 2c

Isengrim

Aug 20, 2012
Well, I would say it is kind of an addiction. Of course, it is a question that is just to put out there in the air cause, in fact, I can find really reasonable reasons to play videogames. At least they sound reasonable in my head.

And yes, I try to play STO daily... in between other games, cause hey, it's not like i have to learn on university...
What do you mean I should? I have to?!
oh, do I? Well, crap.

So, overall, videogames are addiction, music is addiction ( though if done properly you can listen do music and do other things, like study or play games ), everything that is in your daily pattern is an addiction. Beer on friday evening is an addiction ( if you do it each and every friday ), coffee in the morning is an addiction.
One might say that our lives are full of addictions, as we crave to establish something stable, a pattern, a routine to make us feel in control, to make us feel calm as it whispers "everything is in it's place" to our brains every day.

Or maybe I am just making excuses for the facts that I am a poor student, a drunkard, a coffee addict and a maniacal gamer.

Isengrim

Aug 20, 2012
wombat_of_war said:
its a decent time waster game but frankly after you do the story missions you really have nothing to do apart from grind gear for the sake of it. its way too combat heavy though. i think my captain has killed more people than everyone who's died in every star trek franchise
Yeah, it's more like "set in Star Trek universe... sort of" but not so much "star treky" in the gameplay and massive slaughter aspect.
I mean now we have gigant dinos with lazers. Some laugh that season 8 is a ripoff of Jurasic Park, Star Wars and Mass Effect simultaneously. There is some truth to it, but I wouldn't call it a ripoff.
I would like to see more of the "talky and techy" content there, but I have to say I cannot complain on the massive slaughter aspect.
But I suppose it's just me liking to shoot borg.