I think it's time to talk seriously about GoTY...

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
I love the irony of the thread title. You are on the Escapist, you can't use "serious" and "GOTY" in the same sentence when the whole year everyone has been going "OMGZ SKYRIM!!!11" every time a GOTY thread came up. Even when I made a thread about how people say a game will be GOTY before even playing the game (the thread had "GOTY" in the title), people still posted "Skyrim" without reading any of it, just because those 4 letters were in the title. So this thread will be filled with that.
Well now that Skyrim has been released, people will hopefully be able to post with validated opinions. Considering that it's been pegged as a very well designed game by many, it will be a legitimate contender for GoTY.

jthm said:
Oh, are we having a Skyrim thread?
Urgh, I stand corrected.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Because nobody else will, I'd like to nominate Pokemon Black/White for the award. I spent 30 bloody hours on the story quest and I enjoyed all of them, so that's gotta count for something.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Witcher 2 for me, but then I haven't played that many newly released games this year. I hope to pick up Arkham City and maybe Skyrim later when they're reduced in price and I've time to dedicate to playing them.

But Witcher 2, yeah, I haven't been that impressed with a game in years. It's just an all-round stunning experience, I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't played it yet. This game was clearly a labour of love from the developers and it shows, they put a lot of work into it and continue to do so even after release. I not only respect that but admire it as well.

J-dog42

Aug 1, 2010
From what I have played this year it would have to be Portal 2 in top position. BF3 would take any awards to do with multiplayer. It's simply fantastic. As for Saints Row 3, I have managed to squeeze in four hours of that so far and I have hardly done any missions, which in my mind is a sign of a good game. If you can be entertained while doing sweet nothing, then I am happy. Also, I would give a special award to LA Noire for trying something a little bit different. Sure it got boring towards the end and certainly had its flaws, but I really enjoyed it.

Nicolairigel

May 6, 2011
Delsana said:
Nicolairigel said:
Delsana said:
The Old Republic.
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNo. Don't you dare nominate the reason I will never have kotor 3
The reason you'd never have KoTOR 3 is because Obsidian made a romp of KoTOR 2.

Be happy that a new Star Wars MMO to replace Galaxies, and one that is worthy, exists.
But.... I liked Kotor 2... almost as much if not more than kotor 1....

D:

And (God, I know I sound like a spoiled kid but just bare with me) I really really don't want an MMO. I just quit playing WoW so I am really sick of MMO's in general. And I don't care what they say, its impossible to get across the same story and narrative that the original kotor games could in just a single player story in an MMO.

Sigh... I hate the way I sound right now, I don't usually rage about much, but could have Bioware just have finished Kotor 3? Apparently they were already about half way through making it, I just want some closure on Revan's and the exile's story. And the fact that they are trying to reveal it through the MMO means that whatever explanation they give their will become canon, and whatever awesome conclusion we get will be told through flashbacks.

Cmon bioware, pretty please?

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
I'm seeing no love for AC:R! lawl. thats my game of the year. followed by modern warfare 3 but thats just me.

but seriouxsly

Skyrim
Assassins Creed
Arkham City
Modern Warfare 3

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Well The Witcher 2 was the biggest surprise for me this year.

Unfortunately there were some disappointments this year though.

AC:Revolutions was fun and good for a rental but no way a GOTY
Arkham City was great but didn't have the impact I thought it would, I guess living up to Asylum was a hard feat. Also the Catwoman pass code bullshit left a bitter taste in my mouth.
Uncharted 3 was disappointing in certain ways, it kinda just took U2 and continued the story, no innovation of the terrible controls/AI. Not a bad game though by any means.
Saint's Row 3 had huge issues for me on PC, it took me ages to download even though I had the discs, then when I got it installed the sound didn't work at all. Additionally, day 1 DLC can get fucked. Yes you should lose scores for that.
BF3/MW3 are just retreads. I have mw3 and it's fun to mess around with on with mates, but fundamentally not that different from MW2, and not a goty.
Deus Ex was fun but sometimes a bit too boring and monotonous.

I haven't played Skyrim, but I doubt i'd consider it if it's anything like Oblivion or Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Dragon Age 2 is an affront to the gods and should be deleted from public memory.

For me it's a toss-up between The Witcher 2, Portal 2 and Infamous 2. Leaning toward The Witcher 2, possibly because it was the only playable WRPG this year, and because it was a great game.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
dystopiaINC said:
I'm seeing no love for AC:R! lawl. thats my game of the year. followed by modern warfare 3 but thats just me.

but seriouxsly

Skyrim
Assassins Creed
Arkham City
Modern Warfare 3
Probably because it was just a DLC for Brotherhood. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the story/city immensely, but they could have just spent 6 more months on Brotherhood, cut out some pointless stuff(or not) and stick it onto Brotherhood rather than a completely new game. Just seems like Ubisoft were milking the Ezio cash cow with that one.

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Out of all the games I've played in no particular order
Skyrim
Deus Ex: HR
Battlefield 3
Portal 2
L.A. Noire
I'm counting Amnesia because it's retail release was in 2011

BlindedHunter

Apr 2, 2010
Portal 2 has all my love, and I hope it takes the... win.
Not that I don't think the Skyrim fans should have their fun, but Portal 2 is, to me, a much more refined title.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
Looking through the first page i notice everyone's vote... AND NOONE HAS A NON SEQUEL. Besides that one bastion. And i laugh.
ha
And i donno...
My personal favorite so far is Assassin's Creed tw... i mean Brot... i mean Revelations.

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
Zing said:
dystopiaINC said:

but seriouxsly

Skyrim
Assassins Creed
Arkham City
Modern Warfare 3
Probably because it was just a DLC for Brotherhood. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the story/city immensely, but they could have just spent 6 more months on Brotherhood, cut out some pointless stuff(or not) and stick it onto Brotherhood rather than a completely new game. Just seems like Ubisoft were milking the Ezio cash cow with that one.
while agree that there was a lot of similarity, there was too much for just DLC. the story arc alone was probably enough. the enemies were a bigger challenge. (those damn pike-men, and the Janissaries.... kill me now) the city had a whole new style of architecture, brother was still in Italy and you really could tell. i hated climbing on brotherhood, but i loved the climbing on Revelations. i would forsake the fast travel and just run across the rooftops all the way across the city if i had to. the new city made the game for me. but the story, especially the last cut-scene with Altair knocked it out of the park as far as i'm concerned.

sure you can say it's a very similar game. and it is, thats what sequels do. the continue the story, add new things and fix what they can that didn't go over well from the other game. Revelations did that. same with MW3 for that mater.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
1) Skyward Sword
2) Skyrim
3) Portal 2
4) Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5) Uncharted 3

This is the end all of GotY lists