I think you guys might wanna play this.

Fredrikorex

Sep 25, 2009
This brought tears to my eyes as I know how it is to be depressed, thanks for sharing this on the forums it really made my day.

In the end, the only bad thing was that I hated my job but who doesn't :p

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
At first I was rather sceptical, as generally these things aren't all that accurate when it comes to 'Getting' what's running through my mind at any given moment, but this was actually surprisingly well done. For most of the first part it actually hit the nail perfectly, though mid-end it was somewhat a little off at times, though still better than most.
Rather interesting to say the least.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
To be honest, it was rather boring. It completely and utterly failed to keep me engaged to it in anyway. While it may work as some kind of "what depression is like" infopiece, as a piece of entertainment it is bad. And the term "video game" suggests that it is supposed to be entertainment.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
That was a bit personal. Apparently you can get a good ending, but being as truthful as possible I manage to lose my girlfriend (she broke up despite me asking her to stay...D:) and am unoptimistic, and just functioning by the end. It was actually surprising the number of times there was an option that I would really choose.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Very eye-opening. I got a very positive "ending" but that may simply be because I don't suffer from depression. I did my best to simulate the feelings described within myself but the feeling of "I want this to change" won most of the time (agreeing to see the therapist, taking meds, going into work even when it seems impossible, etc).

The crossed out options illustrated the point very well that for someone who is depressed, some options really just aren't possible.

Nonomori

Nov 20, 2012
That was painfully close to home for me too. I have been fighting anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts for the last few years. Among other things, I have a cat, a successful brother and the terrible habit of pushing people away (including the doctors and therapists that have treated me so well). Ultimately, it was easy to identify with the protagonist, and the sensible and realistic ending was a very nice surprise.

I don't know if "enjoy" is the right word, but that was amazing. Thank you, Unworthy Gentleman.

chikusho said:
1. Why isn't there an easy mode? Not everyone can deal with emotionally hard games.
I see what you did there.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Freezy_Breezy said:
Really guys? I moved in with my loving girlfriend and became positive about my future employment.

Huh.

I dunno, I played it according to my personal feelings; always push yourself, always be honest, stay the fuck away from drugs, and be a good friend to people.

Also fuck cats. ;)
I got that basically. But I got the cat.

The end thing was essentially, 'I'm good. Depression never really goes away, but I know how to deal with it. Job kind of sucks, but I can easily get through it, and my girlfriend and I are really building a life together.'

I was diagnosed with clinical depression a few years ago. Said 'no' to medication, and just really pushed past it all. It was really hard, and even up until about a year ago, I still had times when I felt suffocated and practically couldn't move.

I still feel a bit paranoid, and things people say to me hit harder than they should, and can easily bother me for the rest of the day, but I'm doing much better. I'm glad I managed to complete the game in the way that very accurately reflects my real life situation.

I also have a friend who was recently diagnosed with depression. He's in therapy, and seems to be doing quite well with it. I know he's probably going to have very difficult times though.

If he ever needs it, I'm going to tell him, quite truthfully, me and the others have never been unhappy to see him, and he's a great guy. I wish someone had told me that a couple of years ago.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I had to stop for a while when it came time for the talk with Alex.. I was completely frozen up and none of my available options seemed good. It sort of bothered me that once you went down a bit of a sad turn there was no room for improvement but I guess that's life. In all honesty, the protagonist is far more functional then I am. It was a game about depression and I couldn't relate to him because he wasn't depressed enough.

Wow, I'm pretty fucked up, lol.

Beat14

Jun 27, 2010
Hit the nail on the head for the most part considering depression imo.

I was going to say that I didn't project myself onto the experience, but I guess I couldn't really help it. I played by taking in what it said and answering how I felt from the options, however the options obviously don't cover every course of action you can do. So you can't fully play it as you would, if you get me. I've lost my point in this ramble :/

Zealous

Mar 24, 2009
Really interesting experience. Some of the earlier stuff matched up with me (as seems to be the norm). Really interesting how they included options you can't pick as well, nice touch.

Anyway, I
went to a therapist, took medication, learned to deal with my job, helped my internet friend deal with cheating, got a cute kitten, moved in with my girlfriend, and opened up to my parents.

It honestly got kind of boring about a quarter of the way through once I realized that literally every single choice could be "solved" by choosing to open up, be honest and stuff.

I would have preferred a less binary choice system, but then I guess the message would have gotten a little muddled, so never mind.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Wow, it's almost like it was written for me, right down to the possibility of taking on a cat.

I have a job that gets me down, I've alienated most of my friends, I regularly turn down social invitations and feel uncomfortable in groups if I don't, I avoid relationships because I ruin them, I have a project I cannot motivate myself to complete, some days I'm too lethargic to do anything worthwhile, I constantly worry about every decision I make, I can't tell anyone my true feelings.

The only thing I don't have is the inability to sleep.

But even after all that I don't consider myself to have depression. I certainly have down days where all feels quite hopeless but I can pull myself out of it. Maybe I'm lucky.

Brainwreck

Dec 2, 2012
It was an... interesting experience. Got a happy ending though, so that's good.

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
man, this game was... wow. I have never been so thoroughly upset. Mostly because I can relate, and probably because of recent events in my life. But this game got me going. Good stuff, and I will be supporting the devs.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
That was... hard, but I'm glad I did it. A lot of what the character seemed to be going through is stuff I've experienced before, and it caused me to have to take a leave of absence from uni. I just couldn't motivate myself to get to class, or to get work done. I slept most of the day and still managed to always be tired.

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
Despite my best efforts, I couldn't even get ten minutes into it. It resonates far too strongly with my life.

Oinodaemon

Apr 9, 2009
I hated that options were crossed out. I suffer from depression, and sometimes you just have to force yourself to get the fuck up and stop being pathetic. I couldn't tell my brother about my dorky ass head brace...WHY? Being depressed doesn't make me a wiener. This was frustrating. Some of the situations hit close to home, but half the time my preferred choice was crossed off. Why can't I admit I'm depressed to people? I'm visiting my parents, and my mom just asked me about my job. Everything is crossed off except excuse myself and go to the bathroom...Lame. I personally know how difficult it can be to break out of a depression cycle. HERE IS THE TRICK: Flip your life upside down. Don't just change little things, change everything! Move towns, get a new job, etc. Everything gets to reset, start over, including the depression. Do not attempt if you are weak-willed or easily stressed.

Mar 9, 2010
jigaboon said:
The idea behind the crossed out options was to have the choices you made affect your character in a realistic way and define him. Having him speak up clearly wasn't something you'd made part of his character so it wouldn't be right to have the option there.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
jigaboon said:
I hated that options were crossed out. I suffer from depression, and sometimes you just have to force yourself to get the fuck up and stop being pathetic. I couldn't tell my brother about my dorky ass head brace...WHY? Being depressed doesn't make me a wiener. This was frustrating. Some of the situations hit close to home, but half the time my preferred choice was crossed off. Why can't I admit I'm depressed to people? I'm visiting my parents, and my mom just asked me about my job. Everything is crossed off except excuse myself and go to the bathroom...Lame. I personally know how difficult it can be to break out of a depression cycle. HERE IS THE TRICK: Flip your life upside down. Don't just change little things, change everything! Move towns, get a new job, etc. Everything gets to reset, start over, including the depression. Do not attempt if you are weak-willed or easily stressed.
Such things are easier said then done. There are some problems you can't run away from.