'I told you, you'd like it'

Rylot

May 14, 2010
So after about two years now of trying to talk a friend of mine into trying Sled Hockey (Ice Hockey adapted for the physically disabled) he finally tried it yesterday. And just like I'd been telling him all this time he really enjoyed it and has been talking to me on facebook about how much fun he had and how he can't wait for our next practice. Thought this might be a fun topic to discuss, so:

So ever talk someone into something you knew they'd enjoy but were really resistant to? Ever get talked into something you were lukewarm about, but ended up really enjoying?

Captcha: Sugar Mama. Kross! Captcha is hitting on me again!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Let's see-

My bro- Cabin in the Wood (he's into horror movie but he was kinda put off from the trailer but he was unaware of the twist at the end) and FTL (he bought a tablet recently and I told him to try that cos that came out to the andriod recently but he was also kinda put off from the traielr, saying it look complicated.)

Mate 1- Soul Eater and Death Eater (she into "dark" related stuff but she not exactly up to date with the anime showings.)

Mate 2- Transformers Prime (He's into transformers but not when it come to cartoon since G1. He was also put off from the teaser but I persuaded him enough since he is also into cgi related stuff.)

As for my end-
Regular Show- I didn't liked the main character (bad role models) but I end up watching it for a bet which technically I only held up my end of the bargain.

Red Alert- I had no interest at playing it myself seeing how I used to watched my bro playing it. Even then I thought I wouldn't be smart enough to play and would grew attached to my units (latter never came true as I send my expendable fodder to their doom).

Netflick Daredevil. I was on the fence when I first saw the trailers but I eventually give it a go when my bro and mate told me about it and seen praises on here aswell.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
DeanCain said:
Exactly how inappropriate would an anal sex joke be right now?
If it fits, it fits. ;D

Yeah... Didn't think that title through.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I hate being talked into watching something. The more someone tries to convince me to watch it the more adverse I get towards it.

Then like two years later I'll try it when that person isn't around, and if I like I'll probably never tell them.

I dunno why... My mind is just a jerk.

So I rarely try to talk someone else into anything, because I don't wanna be hypocritical and I'd hope they'd do the same in return and not pester me to watch something.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Got my brother-in-law into Buffy that way: "Give it two episodes." Next time we talked he had watched the whole show and Angel as well. He got me into Discworld so we're even.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
My weebo(their words not mine) friends keep trying to get me to watch Kill La Kill and I keep telling them not only do I not like anime, I especially hate high school animes.
So they'll never be able to quote the thread title.

But I did get a friend to enjoy the over the top splatter violence that is 40k. So there's that...

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Necromancer and Garry eventually chipped away at my resistance and made me watch Evangelion. It's pretty good, I'm about half way through. Not the best thing I've ever seen but still fun to watch.

That dance sequence bit though was the best thing in a anime ever.

Xeros

Aug 13, 2008
Everyone I meet will hitherto be convinced to watch all of the following:

The Shawshank Redemption
Se7en
The Mist
Boondock Saints
V for Vendetta

I was once talked into going ice skating. I didn't fall, but Tiggers cannot ice skate as fast as Mr. Rabbit.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
A friend of mine made me watch a couple of episodes of Epic rap battles of history even though I usually don't go for that sort of thing. Before either of us knew it, we had spent half a day just watching them.

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
inu-kun said:
My little brother is a nightmare with this: "watch Madoka" "No, it's just a moe show" (watches it in a day), "watch Kill La Kill" "No, it's just an ecchi show" (watches it in a day)
It seems to be a compulsion in Madoka fans to convince as many people as they possibly can to go into the show cold and then laugh as their minds are destroyed.

Which is why I've done it to two co-workers, my little brother, and some random person on this site that doesn't come around anymore. :p

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I have a friend who does this to me all the time. I grew up a sheltered child when it came to popular entertainment, and he takes every opportunity to try and rectify that. It doesn't stick most of the time, but he has introduced me to some pretty awesome stuff over the years (Batman: The Animated Series, Beast Wars, Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles, Prison Break before it jumped the shark, etc.).

On the flip side, I rarely try to sell him on something, but it's always an uphill battle when I do. He always has to be the one that introduces me to stuff, and I think it genuinely bothers him when the roles are reversed. Frankly, I find it a bit irksome.

dreng3

Elite Member
Aug 23, 2011
Country
Denmark
For 3 years I've been telling a friend to read Brandon Sanderson's work, mainly Way of Kings and the Stormlight Archive, but he kept putting it off. Glad to say that he started last week and finished one book in the series already and is only waiting to borrow the second.

syaoran728

Aug 4, 2010
This is a rather recent example. One of my friends prefers to avoid the moe/cute anime when he can. I like to troll him(I Madoka'd him a few years ago), so I sat him down and had him watch Gakkou Gurashi and told him to save any judgement until the end of the first episode. He told me to immediately play episode two and is a bit scared to watch more for now because he doesn't want to get emotionally scarred by anime again.

Side note: Anyone who likes anime here should go check out Gakkou Gurashi. You'll thank me later.

IOwnTheSpire

Jul 27, 2014
My brother spent a long time trying to get me to watch Firefly, which I eventually did and enjoyed very much, but the reason I was adverse to it was because I had seen all these comments online about how it was the greatest thing ever, and it got so much praise that I felt that even if I watched it and enjoyed it, I would still be disappointed because I may not find it as amazing as everyone said it was.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Xeros said:
Everyone I meet will hitherto be convinced to watch all of the following:

The Shawshank Redemption
Se7en
The Mist
Boondock Saints
V for Vendetta

I was once talked into going ice skating. I didn't fall, but Tiggers cannot ice skate as fast as Mr. Rabbit.
Watched all of these already... Gonna have to do better, noob.

Well... I can't seem to convince anyone to watch anything. I tried to get people to watch Person of Interest, to little to no avail, people who watch sci-fi stuff who would think wouldn't take much convincing to watch it.
I am bit shy, you see, and I don't seem to form a convincing argument to save my own life.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
TakerFoxx said:
inu-kun said:
My little brother is a nightmare with this: "watch Madoka" "No, it's just a moe show" (watches it in a day), "watch Kill La Kill" "No, it's just an ecchi show" (watches it in a day)
It seems to be a compulsion in Madoka fans to convince as many people as they possibly can to go into the show cold and then laugh as their minds are destroyed.

Which is why I've done it to two co-workers, my little brother, and some random person on this site that doesn't come around anymore. :p
I'm guilty of this too....but it just too damn fun not too!

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Most recently, I was talked into watching Sense8.

My old roommate thought I would enjoy the show, based on a few specific scenes in it, but I was fairly lukewarm on the show. The very few ads for it I saw just didn't really catch my interest.

But then he told me that JMS was working on it, and that really got my interest. Then I started watching it and ended up loving it.

It was a pretty funny conversation actually. Me: "Have you guys seen Sense8?" My friends: "Yep" Me: "Is it good?" My old roomie: "I liked it. I'm not sure if you will like it, but I'm certain that there are some specific scenes that you will eat the fuck up." Me: "Hmmm." Went home, watched it. Got the end of episode 3, and sent him a chat message over steam "So, the finale of episode 3, was that one of the scenes you thought I would eat the fuck up for being awesome?" Roomie: "Yep." Me:" Yep! You were right, I ate that shit up! Fucking awesome!" Roomie: "Heheh" xD