I want Civ 5 but...

Jarcin

Oct 1, 2010
...I was hoping some escapists could answer some questions:

-Is there multiplayer, and if so, how is it?
-Hows the replay value? Will I gladly devote some hours to this?
-Are the expansions just addition of races? Or does it add a new element to gameplay?
-Should I be concerned about the next one coming out soon and making this to where I just wasted 50 dollars?
-Should I just wait til it goes on sale on steam?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Did you like previous Civs? If so, get it.
Wouldn't know about the expansion stuff, but it's basically Civ4 but better. Plus, considering the time from Civ4-5, I think you're fine time-wise.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Jarcin said:

-Are the expansions just addition of races? Or does it add a new element to gameplay?
-Should I be concerned about the next one coming out soon and making this to where I just wasted 50 dollars?
-Multiplayer is basically broken at the moment, and not worth trying.
-Replay is more limited in Civ 5 than predacessors as the game has less depth, so each game plays about the same. The different victory conditions are disproportionately easy to get to.
-The DLC are generally a new faction, and a map or two. Maps are not really my cup of tea, and I don't think paying 3 to 5 dollars to play as a new civ leader is a worthy investment.
-I don't know what you mean by 'next one' no sequel or expansion has been announced for civ5, only DLC.
-Yes definitely.

hazabaza1 said:
Did you like previous Civs? If so, get it.
Wouldn't know about the expansion stuff, but it's basically Civ4 but better. Plus, considering the time from Civ4-5, I think you're fine time-wise.
It is not better than civ4. If you really want more civ fun, try getting the Fall From Heaven 2 Mod for civ 4, its free and will supply lots of enjoyment. Civ 5 had a lot of cool ideas, but very poor execution on many of them. It also randomly removed some game elements, and the new concepts don't scale well in difficulty.

That is, on Deity the AI will fill every tile of their landmass with units. These then have no way to move due to the tile restrictions, and it makes them completely broken. You just sit at range and pelt them at a distance, forever, until they die. Economic benefits make non-war victory fairly well impossible (though this isn't really new) but the terrible combat system when scaled to armies of 40 to 50 makes this extra annoying.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
There is no news of expansions, but the creators have been adding free stuff for a while now to the game. Also the DLC is just extra leaders and maps, nothing major but interesting.

I doubt there will be an expansion anytime soon, they seem to want to get Civ V up to the standard they want and with all of the DLC and free add-ons they are giving, the expansions would be even less significant.

duckfi8

Jan 21, 2009
After my download of CIV V was done I played for 12 hours straight, and I haven't even finished the game yet. Yes there is a lot of replay value to the game. I bought it when it went on sale for $30 it was definitely worth the money. If you liked previous CIV games its a definite buy, I have been playing these games since CIV 2.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Jarcin said:

Multiplayer

While Civilizations have worked well as a multiplayer game, it's more of a single-player type of game. Millions of players have probably never played multiplayer with it, myself included. The AI opponents and your relations to them work so well, there isn't a huge need for multiplayer action. Even then, you'll definitely want to play it with a friend, once you've got the hand of it, and play it with someone who has similar experience with it as skill plays a huge part in it.

It's also a turn-based game, where you'll often face situations where you need to contemplate different things (like what buildings to do, how are my relations with other civs, is my military yet a force to be reckoned with, should I attack that civ, should I expand there, when I should expand... The list is endless and these things are fun and intriguing to think about). So you'll have plenty of decisions and actions to do, so a turn might take some extra time now and then, so it adds that aspect to the multiplayer.

A standard game might take somewhere along 4-8 hours (given that you've learned the basics and the principals of it. You can also define how long a game will be, but the standard length is the best place to begin and in some point perhaps to proceed to the longer ones.). So I'd say you'll probably enjoy the single-player a lot more, and if you feel like multiplayer, then play it with a friend, later on. If I recall right, you can play it either online, or LAN. Hotseat has long been disappearing anyways and it's not really the best suited for this game. Oh, and even though the games can be rather long, I'm sure there are options to save the game and continue it with your friend later.

Replay Value

I don't know where to begin with this. Civ IV was even critically mostly defined as "addictive" and "infinitely replayable". Much has been improved to Civilization V and the change from tiles to hexagons adds another dimension of strategies and tactics in regards to area and specifically moving troops. You can't stack your troops anymore either as in the previous titles, so that's also something that adds to the strategy forming and to the sense of having vaster armies. The one-more-turn -phenomenon is also something that will become familiar. In short: This game has great amounts, practically even infinite amounts of replay value and you can sink as many hours into it as you want.

Expansion & The Rest

To my knowledge, only some DLC's have come out. Civilization's usually don't put out many expansions, and if they do release an expansion some year from now, it'll definitely have the content to make up for it. What I've read about the DLC's that have come out, they'll add some maps and civilizations for the most part. The newest Polynesian DLC also adds a new scenario. Even though those cost just a couple Euros, I'm not getting them myself until I want something new in to the mix. So I don't think they include anything groundbreaking, at least they don't alter the gameplay in other ways that add some content. If you really want to see what each DLC includes, check what they say about themselves, from Steam for example.

Civilization IV came out 2005 and Civilization V came out 2010. At least I'm not concerned about another Civ suddenly popping up. It will be a good while, so you get to have your fun with this one. I pre-ordered the game a week or two before it was released some months ago, and I haven't regretted it. Well worth it and I haven't even yet began to really play it because of limited time, earlier games I'm finishing and partly because I might notice I'm thinking one-more-turn and planning to attack Persia, trading goods with Dutch and building the statue of liberty, when I should be waking up. Realistically speaking I don't think it will come to sale, even anytime soon. It's such a huge title with a solid fanbase that I don't see why they would drop the price of it. I'm not certain, but still fairly sure.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
What the others have said except you should know a little detail about the multi-player. It is simultaneous turn-based and works about as well as that sounds it would.