i want fallout 5 to be in russia

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
lets talk about fallout franchise. a nuclear war happened, everything ended. then all those 4 games happened. in all of them we shared something. that was the country and the whole amercia fuck yeah attitude of the 60s. we heard how russia was still communistic red devils.

i really want to go to russia in fallout 5. according to the games it still has the soviet feel to it. and this could bring a big change in well everything. with power armors being bulkier, more rugged, looking like the tesla trooper from red alert. to the enviroment being different with all the snow and different mutations. (no FEV in russia)

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
People have been asking for them to be set outside of America for a long time and they seem to just not want to do it. I'd love a change of scenery personally.

Also, there's been many more than 8 fallout games if you count that mobile one and 7 if you don't :p

Redvenge

Oct 14, 2014
sagitel said:
lets talk about fallout franchise. a nuclear war happened, everything ended. then all those 4 games happened. in all of them we shared something. that was the country and the whole amercia fuck yeah attitude of the 60s. we heard how russia was still communistic red devils.
The America of the Fallout Universe ended World War II... by changing into a fascist state. It is a mockery of American nationalism as well as capitalist policy taken to the most ludicrous extreme. Not to mention the idiots never invented the transistor, yet accomplished fusion power.

It is not "America, fuck yeah". It is "Fuck America, yeah!".
sagitel said:
i really want to go to russia in fallout 5. according to the games it still has the soviet feel to it. and this could bring a big change in well everything. with power armors being bulkier, more rugged, looking like the tesla trooper from red alert. to the enviroment being different with all the snow and different mutations. (no FEV in russia)
Pretty much every country other than the American Commonwealths and the People's Republic of China have collapsed from lack of fossil fuels. The European Commonwealth and the Soviet Union were fighting the Middle East for oil. When the oil dried up, they fell apart (though the ultimate fate of the USSR is unknown).

America invented power armor, and their closest rival, China, was unable to replicate it. The idea that the resource-starved USSR could compete where China failed seems implausible. Not that Bethesda gives a damn about consistency (even with their own lore).

The Fallout universe is most interesting in the US (possibly China) because everywhere else sucks. You would be better off creating a new post-apocalyptic world set in another country than trying to shoe-horn Fallout there.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Honestly my favorite part of fallout 4 was the verticality of it, going from one big toward to another along the super highway was awesome, so I'd like something like New York, where there would be a two tier city where you would have to top part where you would go from building to building along either highway or skyscraper partially toppled over, then the ground level would just be a ton of ruble that wouldn't actually be on the ground (sea level), and there would be actually be an underground under that rubble.

Oct 22, 2011
You got METRO 20XX for that. Fallout is bound very tightly to its americana.

Raddra said:
sagitel said:
and different mutations. (no FEV in russia)
They'll still find an excuse to throw boring super mutants around every corner.
And radscorpions. We got to have radscorpions.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I still think Florida is a great spot to use. If they went by the original lore, then it'd be a lush yet irradiated jungle growth-type wasteland, a change of scenery. Plus I would love to see the Orlando/Disney Fallout analog. Overgrown theme park overrun by ghouls and mutant gators.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
There was a canceled game Fallout Extreme that would have dealt with the Brotherhood of Steel being threatened by an Imperial China that took power after the Great War due to Taiwan overthrowing the remaining Communists.

I think there may still be mileage in that idea, while Fallout is defined by an alternate 60's US there I do think there is room to explore non US locations, within canon.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
sagitel said:
(no FEV in russia)
No FEV on the east coast, either; but that didn't stop Zenimax.

As others above have noted, the rest of the world fared rather poorly in the nuclear apocalypse- kind of a given; they don't call it a "nuclear inconvenience", after all- and while it would be cool to play a Fallout game in a setting that was actually post-apocalyptic, it wouldn't feel much like a Fallout game, from either series.

Benpasko said:
Okay, but only if the next STALKER game is set in California.
That doesn't quite work; the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games were set in Ukraine, not Russia. The analogue would be setting the next game in northern Mexico. Of course, since the world outside the Zone is doing just fine in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series (better, arguably, with all the advances from recovered artifacts), it might still make for an interesting setting. You could even
have a major part of the plot and/or atmosphere dealing with the continually expanding noosphere all set to inevitably consume the whole world, to bring in that good old Russian-style nihilistic existential horror!

Now, the next Metro game is a different story; it's not like other major cities don't also have subway systems.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I want Fallout 5 to actually take place in the advanced new society of the West coast. I'm sick of freshly stocked untouched by scavenger pre-war ruins and people wearing old-world rags TWO HUNDRED YEARS after the event. I want the modern society of the NCR, New Arroyo, San Francisco, Vault City etc. The politics of a new world.

Then you can still have the rougher stuff on the fringes of society.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I don't know about Russia, but I think a Fallout game set in a more northern state in the winter would be cool. After all the NCR soldiers 'wishing' for a nuclear winter, it would be interesting to actually see that.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Russia collapsed long before the Fallout series. The conflict that sparked The Great War was between the USA and China. Russia was no longer a superpower at the time, having exhausted their resources while Europe tore itself apart.

sagitel

Feb 25, 2012
Redvenge said:
Pretty much every country other than the American Commonwealths and the People's Republic of China have collapsed from lack of fossil fuels. The European Commonwealth and the Soviet Union were fighting the Middle East for oil. When the oil dried up, they fell apart (though the ultimate fate of the USSR is unknown).

America invented power armor, and their closest rival, China, was unable to replicate it. The idea that the resource-starved USSR could compete where China failed seems implausible. Not that Bethesda gives a damn about consistency (even with their own lore).

The Fallout universe is most interesting in the US (possibly China) because everywhere else sucks. You would be better off creating a new post-apocalyptic world set in another country than trying to shoe-horn Fallout there.
i didnt know that. and did china fire the nukes too?
MrCalavera said:
You got METRO 20XX for that. Fallout is bound very tightly to its americana.
metro isnt exactly like fallout though. the worlds differ widely and the games are really different too. the tech levels are higher in fallout with a bigger emphasis on nuclear energy.
and metro has more supernatural elements.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Soviet Heavy said:
Russia collapsed long before the Fallout series. The conflict that sparked The Great War was between the USA and China. Russia was no longer a superpower at the time, having exhausted their resources while Europe tore itself apart.
actually the russia issue is interesting as in the original fallout one of the premade characters is the daughter or granddaughter of the russian ambassador

yeah moving fallout to another country wouldnt really work without the americana we get with it. although PLEASE give us more freaking music in the next game, having the station from FO3 basically repeating wore pretty thin.

personally id like to see fallout moved to another time period. just after the bombs dropped, all the chaos, mutations rampant, etc

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
the problem with setting a fallout game outside of america is that the whole 50s aesthetic is a huge part of fallout so setting a game outside of america just wouldn't feel like fallout.

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Who knows, maybe Fallout 5 will just be a Metro game (instead of ripping it off).
Benpasko said:
Okay, but only if the next STALKER game is set in California.
There's a "next" one? I know I like to joke that 4A Games & CD Project Red will team up for spiritual successor, but that ain't happening no matter how amazing it would be.