I want Skyward Sword but...

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I just can't purchase a console for the sake of one game, even if it is one of my favorite franchises.

I'm looking to the great folks of the escapist to recommend me some other wii titles to justify it's value.

The only rule is no Mario suggestions please.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Well there's obviously Twilight Princess if you don't have that already. There's other good stuff like Okami, Muramasa, No More Heroes 1 and 2, Warioware, the Metroid Prime series, Xenoblade Chronicles (and the other Project Rainfall games if/when they come out), Madworld, Smash Bros. Brawl, World Of Goo, Monster Hunter Tri and plenty others. People give the Wii a hard time for not having any decent core games, but that's just not true. And the games you can get are very unique.

Oh and also, hail mighty Ziltoid!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Scrustle said:
Well there's obviously Twilight Princess if you don't have that already. There's other good stuff like Okami, Muramasa, No More Heroes 1 and 2, Warioware, the Metroid Prime series, Xenoblade Chronicles (and the other Project Rainfall games if/when they come out), Madworld, Smash Bros. Brawl, World Of Goo, Monster Hunter Tri and plenty others. People give the Wii a hard time for not having any decent core games, but that's just not true. And the games you can get are very unique.

Oh and also, hail mighty Ziltoid!
You had pretty much listed all the Wii games I've own. The only games left I can suggest is Little King Story, Donkey Kong Country Return, House of the Dead: Overkill, Golden Eye and maybe Sin and Punishment and Kirby Epic Yawn.
While it's true what you said but that doesn't mean they release a constant flow of good games per year (since I had experience plenty of games drought to to lack of good Wii games release).
However since you aleady own another console you won't experience the lack of games drought problem.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
The Wii is nowadays almost cheaper than a full priced game. So, you only really need about 3 games to justify the purchase of the console.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Donkey Kong Country Returns is exceptionally amazing. Everything good about the series is still intact but it also has a bunch of new, exciting stuff.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. See above.

Twilight Princess: See above.

Smash Bros. Brawl. See above.

EDIT: Oh and how could I forget Mario Party 8 and Mario Kart!? See above. Oh wait, now I remember. You said no mario suggestions -__-

Sangreal Gothcraft

Feb 28, 2011
Yeah....Nintendo's usuall Line up of franchises beaten to death.of course...except Other m...that game was crap. Oh No More heroes 1 and 2..and Freaking Xenoblade is Finally coming -_- to usa...*assuming you live here*

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Nivag the Owl said:
Donkey Kong Country Returns is exceptionally amazing. Everything good about the series is still intact but it also has a bunch of new, exciting stuff.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. See above.

Twilight Princess: See above.

Smash Bros. Brawl. See above.

EDIT: Oh and how could I forget Mario Party 8 and Mario Kart!? See above. Oh wait, now I remember. You said no mario suggestions -__-
To go along with this, you can probably just buy ANY first party Nintendo game and it will be good.

But to actually add stuff, New Super Mario Bros. Wii is great if you like Mario.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
4RM3D said:
The Wii is nowadays almost cheaper than a full priced game. So, you only really need about 3 games to justify the purchase of the console.
Yeah definitely. Gamestation are (I think) selling a used Wii with Skyward Sword for £100. I can justify getting it at that price, even if I only buy a handful of other games.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Eh, I'd say wait on it.

Skyward Sword is a very refreshing game that showcases some of the best base mechanics the 3D Zeldas have ever seen, but it's also rife with padding and has the landmark worst level design in the series, as if the designers didn't know what they wanted to do with the piles and piles of new ideas they were working with. It's not unplayable or un-enjoyable--far from it, I'd call it a worthwhile experience if only to see the thesis of the Wii brought to fruition AT LONG LAST. But the little flaws and inconsistencies that crop up amount to a whole mountain of frustration, and I feel like I made a mistake paying full price for it and could have easily stood to wait a while before getting it myself.

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
Radeonx said:
To go along with this, you can probably just buy ANY first party Nintendo game and it will be good.

But to actually add stuff, New Super Mario Bros. Wii is great if you like Mario.
I probably should've just said this to be honest. Also yeah, I forgot Mario Bros. That's awesome too. You know what? All that really needs to be said is:

A Wii is a great investment...

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
darkstone said:
I just can't purchase a console for the sake of one game, even if it is one of my favorite franchises.
If you got a decent computer you can run the game on an emulator. You just need to have a copy of the game, a computer that can read the disc and Bluetooth on your computer (the disc reader and the Bluetooth are both relatively cheap if you need to buy them, it will cost a total of 40-60 bucks depending on what you buy and where).

Dolphin Emulator is the best bet, and heres a few links I was able to find specifically for that I told you about.

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/thread-2900.html

http://filetrip.net/f1609-Rawdump-2-1.html

http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/support.html#wiimote

Its really easier than it sounds and it is legal to do as long as you backup games you've bought, it doesn't break any copyright laws as long as you don't sell, rent or lend out your copy. Send me a message if you want to, I can tell your more about it if you want.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
No More Heroes
Fire Emblem's 'Radiance' Duology
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Punch Out Wii

Good to start out with.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Metroid Prime 3 - This is my personal all-time favorite Wii game and the reason to own the system

Punch Out Wii - Great game but not much content...in fact there's little more than the original NES version.

Mario Galaxy 2 - your clear choice if you're into platforming titles.

Tiger Woods (any year with motion plus)- If you enjoy golf games at all than playing one with motion control is by far the best way to experience it.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Thanks, for the suggestions, I might just pick one up after all.

The main reason behind this thread is that with the announcement of the wii u I can see them halting the release of new titles for the wii so they can ship them in the next console cycle, and I don't want to invest in a console that doesn't have a decent backlog of games that I can sink my teeth into.

Nergy

Jul 21, 2011
I could name a lot of games, but i'd basically be repeating this list

http://vsrecommendedgames.wikia.com/wiki/Wii No matter what your tastes are. There is something there for everyone. If you're interested in any, look up some gameplay footage on Youtube. You'd be surprised how many games you'll end up loving for the Wii. It gets A LOT of undeserved hate.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Well, there's:

-Okami
-Super Smash Brothers Brawl
-Xenoblade
-Rayman Origins
-Epic Mickey
-Kirby's Epic Yarn
-Kirby's Return to Dreamland
-Lego Star Wars Saga
-Donkey Kong Country
-Sonic Generations

... to name a few.

But there are tons of games that are decent for the Wii. Plus it's backwards compatible so you can play Gamecube games on it as well. And there is the Virtual Console that you can download more games and save them on the "channels" on your Wii, instead of having to go out and find it.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
No mention of Super Mario Galaxy yet? For shame, guys, it's the best 3D platformer of this console generation!

silversnake4133 said:
-Sonic Generations
Ah, not as such. That's only on the HD consoles and PC. The Wii owners get Sonic Colours instead, which is also a pretty good game. Just try and get it on sale or something, because it's kinda short.

All the other games I have for it are Okami, Twilight Princess, Monster Hunter 3, Xenoblade (u mad, America?), Super Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart Wii, which are all good in my opinion. And since they're all pretty old, they probably won't be that expensive (possible exception of Okami, which is kinda rare since it didn't sell that well.)

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
No More Heroes and (Possibly)Desperate struggle

Madworld

SSBB

Twilight Princess