I want to believe...

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Chock another one up for extraterrestrial life, I suppose. I don't believe they've ever actually landed here on Earth, and that us not knowing is part of a massive government conspiracy or anything like that, I just believe that, somewhere, life other than ours exists. After all:

Arthur C Clarke said:
Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.
And when it comes right down to it, when you imagine the sheer size of even the universe we know, the idea that life hasn't developed anywhere else is just absolutely ludicrous.

Cheesepower5

Dec 21, 2009
tricky-crazy said:
I don't believe in a lot of things that others don't I think.

The only thing I can think of is that I believe that humans aren't greedy, selfish and other generic negative characteristic a lot of people seem to give toward us human.

I firmly believe that we can be all great and wonderful. So yeah, I believe in humanity and I can't wait to see what we're going to achieve in my lifetime and beyond. :)
Sad that this is actually an unpopular opinion, but everywhere I seem to go believing that humanity will accomplish great things garners funny looks or silence. We already mastered tool and fire use, learned to combat bacteria, split the atom and broke out of the atmosphere. What can't we do, collectively?

I'm also somewhat morally relativistic. I believe in good and bad as states of action rather than inherent in any being.

hooblabla6262

Aug 8, 2008
I try not to believe in anything that I do not have evidence for. That being said, I have seen some things which I could not explain.

One was a big white creature that moved fast enough to almost appear as a white blur. My friend and I were walking down a hill surrounded by woods to our cars parked at the bottom. We could see something big and white near the cars when all of a sudden it ran up the hill and past us in to the woods.

Another thing I once witnessed happened awhile back when I lived in a small low-income town. My neighbors son was schizophrenic, and there had always been rumors about weird things he could do. When I finally met him, I watched as he would move random objects with his mind from across the room.

Not sure if what I witnessed was something paranormal, or if there is some explanation that I just don't have yet. Certainly was some intriguing situations.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I came in here expecting an X-files thread, and was disappointed.

On-topic, I'm unsure about aliens, but that's about it. They wouldn't have come here, though; too staggeringly unlikely and impractical.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I believe we are completely and utterly alone in the universe. I believe more in the notion that life on Earth is just a one a billion fluke then that life can just erupt anywhere.

I also believe mankind will never colonize other planets. We'll try, but we'll fail spectacularly.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
I don't like to say I "believe" in things.

But I do think that some people have strange "powers" if you will, or something that has not been explained by science as of yet.

The main thing are those "Deja Vu" moments that lots of people seem to have. Just the other day I had one. I was flipping channels and I came to the show Rosanne. I saw a scene and was able to recite the dialogue between John Goodman and Rosanne verbatim for a good minute or two. It was as though I just remembered what would happen since I'd seen it before, just like I can do with some dialogue in the first 3 Star Wars films since I watched them many times. But I never have once watched the show Rosanne. Its not my thing, and I've never walked through a room while someone else was watching it or anything else. I just don't watch that show, and yet I knew what the characters would say exactly. What the hell.

I've had other experiences like that too, where I'll be in a conversation with a friend and know what happens next before we get to that point in the conversation. That Deja Vu... has anyone else had these? or know what I'm talking about?

I don't know what to think, maybe our dreams are something more than just dreams? Who knows.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
I have a small believe in just about everything supernatural. By that, I don't disbelieve it. Our understanding of the world around us is so limited that I admit the possibility of just about anything. As for things I actively believe in? Not much. Maybe ghosts. Maybe bigfoot.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Dr. Cakey said:
I believe there's some sort of objective measure of good and evil. Rationally I'm basically certain that's not the case, but emotionally I'm sure there must be.
There's an old episode of This American Life (radio program) posted online. It's about this test that takes hours to perform, in person, by a highly trained individual. I believe it's called The Psychopath Test. If you have the time, I would give it a listen. It's a fascinating episode. This test goes far beyond the simplistic psy-pop "tests" listed online.

Disclaimer: I believe every show contains 'adult' content:
Streaming version is free: http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/436/the-psychopath-test , select the orange 'Launch Player' button.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
launchpadmcqwak said:
Redlin5 said:
I believe in ghosts to a small extent. When I was a kid a door opened and closed in front of me once while I was alone in a 170 year old building. No wind. Alone.
I'm not starting shit here, but like when wierd stuff like this happens people always jump to ghosts...out of every possible phenomena in the universe that could cause something like that to happen...just had to get that off my chest.
That was the explanation I had at the time and I haven't found a better one yet.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I really want to believe that there is something better out there for me; and that there is actually a way to escape from this dismal little island I inhabit.

cerebreturns

Jan 15, 2013
I believe that around 2000 years ago the son of God, who is god, who created everything in the universe, knows everything that is going to happen, and is full of mercy love and wrath gave his sons perfect life for us, so that we would be able to know him on a personal level, witch we were created with the ability to do, but because of our sinning at our creation we willfully tossed away.

I believe if you accept Christ as the son of God who was God, died for your sins, and was raised from the dead 3 days later, that when you die you will not not die but live eternally in heaven, where you will know unending and unlimited joy in the presence of God.

Lazy

Aug 12, 2012
It's a little difficult for me to explain, but basically I believe that there is no objective reality.

fatmrbunko

Jan 24, 2011
being that im a fairly intelligent person in england my belief in god is a bit odd amoung peers as not many english people that understand physics and biology have any faith whatsoever making me a minority

doggy go 7

Jul 28, 2010
Lazy said:
It's a little difficult for me to explain, but basically I believe that there is no objective reality.
As in, you cannot know what you know, because everything could potencially be a simulation, or am I missing the point?

OT: in normal everyday life, I don't believe things that could be constituted as, for lack of a better term, "myths". The one thing I believe that has no tanngible proof is that there is no god, nor a soul/spirit/life after death. I can do the whole z-list philosophy bullshit with the brain in a jar/ I'm the only real person in the universe ect. but I do that more for the mind games rather then because I think it's true, because, beyond anything else, you cannot live your life normally if you think like that.

fatmrbunko

Jan 24, 2011
wooty said:
I really want to believe that there is something better out there for me; and that there is actually a way to escape from this dismal little island I inhabit.
only one way to find out...

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Epic Bear Man said:
I believe George W. Bush honestly only acted like a complete idiot to justify his actions during his administration. >.>
I'll take this one step further and say that Bush was merely an easily controlled puppet and Dick Cheney was really the one running the show.

I also believe that the government was at least somewhat aware of the attack on Pearl Harbor beforehand and allowed it to happen so that we could justify entering WWII.