I want to build a game!

Simmons 2.0

Jul 6, 2009
Hi guys and girls!

So, as the title states, I want to build my own game.

I was inspired recently buy indie developers and early big name stories of independent games and I wanted to do one of my own.

I want to do something along the lines of what ZUN does, if your familiar with Touhou Project/Project Touhou. Not in terms of bullet hell games specifically but along the lines of do everything myself (programming, composing, art, the works).

I know this will be a massive challenge, I'm not kidding myself about any of it. I know the drill :)

I have quite a bit of experience with audio software (Cyballius/Reason/Fruitloops etc) and I can draw perfectly well (not to concept artist level but good enough X3) so I have sound and art covered, but I need to teach myself stuff about programming and the stages of a video game's birth. I'll be starting an animation course in September 2011 so I'll be introduced to software like Maya. Plus we will be getting the software used on Avatar into the college, however I won't use that ;)

I will also be building my own computer in the next month so I'll have a nice powerful computer to use.

So, any tips, hints etc from you who have had expereince in this, or stories of games you have heard of or worked on personally would be great. Also, anything I should look at or books to buy, please please please tell me :)

Side note, this is just a project/hobby I want to do. I don't intend on becoming a game developer/designer, but if I get good and offers arise or something leads on from this then that would be a great bonus :)

So, fire away!

Wuggy

Jan 14, 2010
A great idea. I appreaciate your enthusiasm (and hope you go through with it). Too bad my tablet is broken right now, I would've gladly helped with the art stuff. I'm somewhat of a concept artist, by hobby.

The only real tip I can give you: focus on gameplay. Aesthetics are a big part of a game, but when it comes to indie titles a fun game with less graphical fidelity is better than a dull game with awesome graphics.

Mar 1, 2011
So you want to make a 3d game? Or a 2d game?

I've worked on several 2d games myself (as a coder) and it's really fun!

But I have coding experience in Java / AS3 (flash) and I recently started coding in C# + XNA (so I can make the game for the XBOX360 as well!)

I hope you'll have a lot of fun in your hobby!

Simmons 2.0

Jul 6, 2009
well my absolute favourite series of all time is Megaman Zero. Watch some videos of gameplay if your not familiar with the style. I love all the weapons and moves he has like EX moves and dash, wall climb etc, something along those lines. So a 2d side scroller. That's the idea at the moment.

Simmons 2.0

Jul 6, 2009
well my absolute favourite series of all time is Megaman Zero. Watch some videos of gameplay if your not familiar with the style. I love all the weapons and moves he has like EX moves and dash, wall climb etc, something along those lines. So a 2d side scroller. That's the idea at the moment.

HooterNanny

May 19, 2010
The only advice I can give is don't give up.
I know this may sound self explanatory too many indie games have been shelved because the designer wasn't commited to the project and its really sad to see that happen to games that genuinely look interesting
But good luck, and have fun

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
Simmons 2.0 said:
Hi guys and girls!

So, as the title states, I want to build my own game.

I was inspired recently buy indie developers and early big name stories of independent games and I wanted to do one of my own.

I want to do something along the lines of what ZUN does, if your familiar with Touhou Project/Project Touhou. Not in terms of bullet hell games specifically but along the lines of do everything myself (programming, composing, art, the works).

I know this will be a massive challenge, I'm not kidding myself about any of it. I know the drill :)

I have quite a bit of experience with audio software (Cyballius/Reason/Fruitloops etc) and I can draw perfectly well (not to concept artist level but good enough X3) so I have sound and art covered, but I need to teach myself stuff about programming and the stages of a video game's birth. I'll be starting an animation course in September 2011 so I'll be introduced to software like Maya. Plus we will be getting the software used on Avatar into the college, however I won't use that ;)

I will also be building my own computer in the next month so I'll have a nice powerful computer to use.

So, any tips, hints etc from you who have had expereince in this, or stories of games you have heard of or worked on personally would be great. Also, anything I should look at or books to buy, please please please tell me :)

Side note, this is just a project/hobby I want to do. I don't intend on becoming a game developer/designer, but if I get good and offers arise or something leads on from this then that would be a great bonus :)

So, fire away!
You could try looking into some engines/libraries/tools you could use:

Unity3D - http://unity3d.com/ - There's a free version and a paid version with more features. I'm currently trying to learn this one. This contains an engine and a toolset.

Crystal Space - http://crystalspace3d.org/main/Main_Page - A free open source 3D engine

Allegro - http://alleg.sourceforge.net/ - Open source game programming lobrary.

Richard Eis

Oct 5, 2009
My advice,

You don't ever start with, "i'll make a game" as thats doomed to failure. You need to start with an idea you want to express. So the question is "what do YOU want to play"?

Don't get carried away doing all the graphics and sound. Something very easily done. You will end up with a slideshow, rather than ever having a game.

Simmons 2.0

Jul 6, 2009
Richard Eis said:
So the question is "what do YOU want to play"?
i want to play a 2d side scroller with intense action and good story and music. i love to write stories, so im not a novice when it comes to ideas.

Pat8u

Apr 7, 2011
start by youtube searching thenewboston he is doing unreal engine touts which will help you alot
hell I will Post his first tout here

or for 2d platformers try codingmadeeasy with allegro for C++

Also the game programming wiki forums is a good comuntiy for begginers they started me up and now im working withe the unreal engine

DrStupid87

Mar 17, 2011
Good luck with this. No small undertaking. For ease of use, I'd recommend using Flash to make the game. Castle Crashers is a fine example.
The reason I'd say use that is that it's easy to learn and use. I spent about two weeks learning the ropes of it and I can already do some decent animations. Plus there's thousands of tutorials available that are really helpful.

OceanBlue

Jun 5, 2011
Stencyl [http://www.stencyl.com/] Is a nice and free, yet powerful tool for easy 2D game creation. You should definitely check it out to get the hang of it.

And good luck, by the way.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Start with reading. Lot's of reading. Probably for a project like that you might look into XNA Game Studio which has SDK for PC/Xbox with DirecttX SDK, using mostly Visual C# environment. IT's by no way the best engine, but for simple "indie" projects it does the job.

Visuals you can do with any graphics program assuming you want to do 2d/sprite based game, if you want 3d well there is Blender which is quite decent freeware 3d modelling tool.

It would help if you would understand basics of coding however. Any experience with at least php, Pascal or C+?

Bottom line: don't use overly professional software like Maya or 3dStudioMax, as they are way above your needs. Use simpler software to learn the basics.

TheBlitz

Jun 6, 2011
I don't know how helpful you'll find it, but seriously, watch the Extra Credits videos here on the Escapist. The writers of that have some really, really good ideas to share, and they seem to target indie developers when offering advice on how to better the video gaming industry.

DrStupid87

Mar 17, 2011
Also, when you've got an idea up and running, don't be afraid to ask for help with it. Whatever platform and software you choose to use, there's bound to be some people here with a tonne of experience with it. The more good blood you get in your game, the more you can get done. I mean, look at Valve.
So yeah, ask around here or something.