I want to get Diablo II

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
omega 616 said:
RandyNoKachi said:
I've been wanting to play it for a while , never had the time except now , is it still worth buying now? I would like to play with others.
There is a game that almost an exact Diablo 2 clone but it is free to play (I think) and comes with a FFX style skill tree.

It's called Path of Exile.

The graphics and map system are identical to Diablo 2 but it seems bigger and better.

I am not sure if it's out yet though.
Good joke.

Path of Exile is a pile of puke...

Get Diablo 2 + LoD, get Median XL Omega 3 or 5 (3 is easier, but it has few skill changes/items less).

Or stay with Vanilla and play online. Ladder was reseted a few weeks ago, so there are many people playing on it from scratch.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Abedeus said:
Just because? There are no reasons, it is just "a pile of puke", there isn't one good thing about this game it is just a pile of puke ...

Tell me, did you cry out "fanboy mode, ACTIVATE!" before typing that? 'cos it looks that way. You insult a game I suggest, give no reason why you feel it is bad, support diablo and to top it off use a made up word "reseted".

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
omega 616 said:
Abedeus said:
Just because? There are no reasons, it is just "a pile of puke", there isn't one good thing about this game it is just a pile of puke ...

Tell me, did you cry out "fanboy mode, ACTIVATE!" before typing that? 'cos it looks that way. You insult a game I suggest, give no reason why you feel it is bad, support diablo and to top it off use a made up word "reseted".
Well, you said a game is "bigger and better than Diablo 2", and I gave a pretty good video showing why your game is so great.

Although it would be quite hard for a modern game to be shorter than Diablo 2...

Also - reseted is a "made up" word? I guess I done goofed.

"They reset the ladder a few weeks ago".

HURR

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Abedeus said:
omega 616 said:
Abedeus said:

Well, you said a game is "bigger and better than Diablo 2", and I gave a pretty good video showing why your game is so great.

Although it would be quite hard for a modern game to be shorter than Diablo 2...

HURR
From what I saw of your video it was the same as diablo 2. You just missed out the big "sphere grid" section AKA the reason I said it was bigger and better than diablo 2.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
omega 616 said:
Abedeus said:
omega 616 said:
Abedeus said:

HURR
From what I saw of your video it was the same as diablo 2. You just missed out the big "sphere grid" section AKA the reason I said it was bigger and better than diablo 2.
I'd rather get good gameplay, music and the atmosphere Diablo 2 has than one of the dozens of clones.

I played a LOT of D2 clones, Titan Quests, Dungeon Siege, Torchlight, Deathspank. Only the latter two kept my interest for more than few days.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Abedeus said:
omega 616 said:
Abedeus said:
omega 616 said:
Abedeus said:

HURR
I'd rather get good gameplay, music and the atmosphere Diablo 2 has than one of the dozens of clones.

I played a LOT of D2 clones, Titan Quests, Dungeon Siege, Torchlight, Deathspank. Only the latter two kept my interest for more than few days.
Sorry all mighty ruler, I didn't realize that what you said was 100% truth for every person ...

Also doesn't explain why if it isn't diablo it's "a pile puke", when in all probability you haven't even played it.

I haven't played the game but I am suggesting it so the OP can check it out.

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
lunavixen said:
well, for a dated game it is still quite good, i still play it, you can get the Diablo II war chest (it has the ancestrall recall expansion and the other one) for about $20-$30 depending on where you live.

If you do play, I recommend playing as a sorceress or an Amazon, very tricky classes and both very rewarding
... are you sure you're thinking of Diablo 2 and not some other game? 0.0

Diablo 2 only had one expansion pack, Lord of Destruction. (It also came in the 'battle chest' not 'war chest', though that's not such a big distinction I suppose, unless you're really sure what you had was called a 'war chest')

And Diablo 1 was the same, only had 1 expansion pack('Hellfire', which was actually made by Sierra not Blizzard if I remember right, and didn't come in the 'Diablo battle chest')

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Loop Stricken said:
I'd just go with D3. Diablo 2 is a pain in the arse to play nowadays unless you ENJOY playing at 640x480 resolution.
If you get the Lord of Destruction expansion they bump it up to 800x600

Which... isn't... great but hey, progress is progress.

Diablo II is easily among my all-time favourite games. I strongly recommend it, but it really is about what you're into.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
way2sl0w said:
-Samurai- said:
Anyway, have fun, and stay the fuck away from d2jsp. That shit ruins the game.
How so? It provides a form of universal currency so you don't spend hours bartering with people.
It brings an outside force into the game and makes it easier to acquire top-tier gear, which ruins the in-game economy.

The bartering system was the currency. It was part of the online appeal. Score a SOJ for Pul? That's like killing Mephisto for the first time on your own.

D2JSP meant that people stopped working for their gear. It forced an uprising of twinked out characters and killed the pvp scene.

Aerduin

Sep 19, 2010
Diablo 2 is great fun, specially if you go with the expansion pack.

Very similar game ( and very underated in my opinion) is Sacred 2, which has the bonus of being available on consoles too, if that tickles your fancy.

No mattter what, enjoy.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
You could go through it once or twice for the heck of it. It's still by far the best game of it's kind (at least for a few more hours :p ). No modern clones have so far managed to create anywhere near as good an experience.

Oh, and you certainly need the expansion, Lord of Destruction.

Also there are mods out there that enable higher game resolutions, or failing that, windowed mode. I've personally found playing D2 on a modern high-res monitor quite unpleasant, but either of the options I've mentioned makes it much better.

However Diablo 3 is poised to blow it's predecessor out of the water.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Mondai Randy said:
what class is the most recommended?
Try each one and determine which one fits you the best. I personally like the Assassin that comes with the LoD expansion and before that I played a Barbarian and an Amazon. Since I restarted I've been giving each class a new chance so I have almost one of each going now. The only ones I haven't started are a new Amazon and a Druid which I've never touched before.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Mondai Randy said:
I've been wanting to play it for a while , never had the time except now , is it still worth buying now? I would like to play with others.
Yes. Get Diablo 2. It is still worth playing. I still load it up from time to time.

Diablo 2 is the best game in the series (and that includes being better than 3), as well as the pinnacle of the action/looting dungeon crawler RPG. After all, it basically created the genre; and really has yet to be topped. (ever hear someone say a game is "like Diablo"?)

It's not without it's flaws, of course, and dealing with Battle.net can be tedious, but it's still a hell of a lot of fun to play. Solo or otherwise.

Then, once you're done with playing through the game once or twice, head over to Steam and pre-order Torchlight 2. Because, if you end up loving Diablo 2, you'll love Torchlight 2. Being that, unlike Diablo 3, Torchlight 2 is being made by the same team behind Diablo 2. Not to mention, again unlike Diablo 3, Torchlight 2 has LAN play, full stat/skill customization, no-auction house, and on-and-offline play.

Oh, and Torchlight 2 is a third the price of Diablo 3. So there's that too. Hell, you can get a 4-pack off of Steam for the same price as one copy of Diablo 3.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Mondai Randy said:
what class is the most recommended?
My personal favorites were always the Necromancer, Druid, and Cleric.

However, for a 'newbie', you can always try starting with the Amazon or Barbarian. They're skills and such are fairly straightforward and will allow you to better learn the ins-and-outs of Diablo.