wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
I'd recommend:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Record of Lodoss War
Claymore
Mezzo
both Vampire Hunter D movies

All are pretty good, aren't too long and I never had any Whiskey Tango Foxtrot moments when I watched them.

I'd avoid FLCL as your first experience since it's pretty ... bizarre.

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
DON'T BE A GIRL! WATCH AN 80'S ANIME! WITH BOOBS AND BLOOD LIKE THERE IS NO TOMORROW!

Ladies and gentlemen...
Madbull 34

[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLsLpUwE6Rw[/link]

When wearing greanades as a jockstrap perfectly fits your niche.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Hmm.....I guess I'll just go with my stock recommendations list:

Witchblade - DVD/Netflix Instant Stream
Sekirei - DVD/Netflix Instant Stream
Trigun - DVD/Netflix Instant Stream
Mobile Suit Gundam - DVD
Witch Hunter Robin - DVD
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - DVD/Netflix Instant Stream
Neon Genesis Evangelion - DVD
Desert Punk - DVD/Netflix Instant Stream
Spice and Wolf - DVD/Netflix Instant Stream
Bleach - DVD

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
I would recommend One Piece if you have patience and really want to invest yourself, its VERY long and it starts off slow but it gets absolutely amazing.

Just a small taste of the diversity and great action scenes in this anime.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
the 2 animes i usually like to show people to introduce them to anime are Deathnote, and my personal favorite, Darker Than Black, because they show how much more adult and awesome anime can be, rather many people's perception of anime being something for kids (to sum up the main character of darker than black : Chinese Electric Batman. you can't get any more damn awesome)

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Anoni Mus said:
Sonicron said:
Anoni Mus said:
Sonicron said:
-EDIT-
I know this comes down to personal preference, but I recommend watching the English dubs.
He's not English native speaker, so he should be used to read subtitles.
Not sure that argument holds water. I'm not a native speaker of English either, and I've always found it a lot easier to simply listen to spoken English rather than simultaneously read and absorb written English (at a demanding pace) while also trying to follow the on-screen action.
There (Germany) American movies on cinema are dubbed or come with subtitles? And series on tv?

This is because here (Portugal) they always come subbed whathever it is except for Cartoons which are dubbed. So we grow up used to subtitles, the readness excuse is invalid after you get used to it.

In Spain and France for example they dubb everything, it's awfull, I've watched Big Bang Theory in Spanish and 300 in French, it's just horrible.
Over here, everything gets dubbed as well, so my preference of sound over subtitles really has nothing to do with our customs when it comes to TV or cinema. (And let me tell you, many German dubs are not much of a pleasure to listen to, especially since oftentimes the translators screw up phenomenally badly.)
Still, you make a good point there, one I hadn't considered, and since I don't know where the OP hails from I suppose either of us could be 'right'. :)

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Your english seems to be just fine, better than a lot of native speakers anyway! :)

As for anime, here are a few favourites of mine, but these have probably all been mentioned before, but I thought I would contribute:

Black Jack
Cowboy bebop
Trigun
Hellsing
Hellsing: Ultimate
FLCL
Death Note
Astro boy (2004 one, but the older one is good as well)
Samurai gun
Virus: Virus buster Serge.
Noein

Most of these are quite short series (bar Astro boy, and the only Black Jack I have seen is the movie, so I don't know if there is a TV series) and I found them pretty easy to get into.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
Death Note is awesome for first timers. Lucky Star is good if you're looking for something to put you in a good mood, and Cowboy Bebop is freaking awesome.

Neo10101

Sep 7, 2009
Cowboy Bebop is always a good start, Hellsing is also pretty good. Also if you like reading you could try reading some mangas first because they usually are more detailed and will give you more to the story. Oh, and one last to try that is a good place to start, Black Lagoon.

Arronax

Aug 7, 2009
animehermit said:
Arronax said:
Dude, I don´t want to seem bad manner or arty but I feel that the cowboy bebop scene you are showing has no meaning or context if you link it straight up like that(since you won´t know the characters if you haven´t seen the series and don´t get any of the buildup).

But then again this is the internet and everybody thinks they´re always right ;D

[Edit] Also I like your choice Cowboy bebop is one of my faves.
you don't need context to appreciate good cinematography :D. I don't love that scene because the story it's telling is especially powerful or compelling, I love that scene because it's direction and music are fantastic. I could spend all day talking about the amazing cinematography, direction and music within Cowboy Bebop, there's never been anything like it.
Point taken :D

shroomie

Mar 31, 2009
It all depends on what your into really. I typically watch action/super power type things like Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Dragonball Z, Full Metal Alchemist, etc. However Death Note is a brilliant detective thriller series. I hear good things about Lupin the Third but haven't really checked it out. Studio Ghibli films are also excellent, my personal favourite being Princess Mononoke closely followed by Howl's Moving Castle. But explore because there are thousands of different types of series out there.

General_Potatoes

Jun 22, 2009
1. My bride is a mermaid ( Can't remember the japanese name for it)
2. Zero no tsukaima
3. Bleach (everyone else has probably said this)
And thats all I can think of thats actually good.