I want to play a single player fantasy rpg, which one

Jacklin

Dec 10, 2008
the title says it all
i havn't played that many, but I liked Mass effect 2 and fallout 3 and liked those.
i want to get into the standard fantasy, magical place etc.
got any names?

Jackpot524

Certified Canuck
May 24, 2009
FANTASY RPG TRANSLATOR:

MASS EFFECT = DRAGON AGE

FALLOUT 3 = OBLIVION/ELDER SCROLLS

Any questions?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Jackpot524 said:
FANTASY RPG TRANSLATOR:

MASS EFFECT = DRAGON AGE

FALLOUT 3 = OBLIVION/ELDER SCROLLS

Any questions?
That's a damn good suggestion, but how would he feel about Dragon Age's much slower, tactical combat?

the monopoly guy

May 8, 2008
Well The Elder Scrolls I: Oblivion is a pretty good choice. The leveling system and some other aspects of the game can be a bit confusing but there is always the Unofficial Elder Scrolls pages to help out.
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Is there any point posting?! 4 posts in and i've already been ninja'd twice! Twice damn it!

Fawful

Dec 7, 2010
If you want to try something older but good check out Planescape: Torment.

Grand_Pamplemousse

Aug 17, 2009
Baldur's Gate 1 + 2

Available here ( http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/ ) for a reasonable price only a couple of dollars for about 50 hours worth of one of the best RPG experiences available.

Oblivion was a bad game with terrible combat, fallout 3 is not a great deal better. The Baldur's gate series were great, and so is vampire masquerade bloodlines (but it was released kinda unfinished so you'll need to install the unofficial patch to make the game worthwhile.) Bloodlines was probably the darkest and best story driven RPG I have ever played, it is such a shame that the developers closed up shop soon after the release date.

RIP Troika!

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
I've got suggestions.

Baldur's Gate
Planescape Torment
Arcanum
Dragon Age

As with most RPGs, a synopsis wouldn't do them credit. Mash those names into wiki and see if any sound interesting. Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment in particular are considered some of the pinnacles of RPG achievement. The good thing is, the first 3 I listed are incredo-cheap, so you can pick them up with almost no financial hardship to yourself.

MisterShine

Him Diamond
Mar 9, 2010
Fawful said:
If you want to try something older but good check out Planescape: Torment.
Saying torment is good is like saying Michael Jordan had some game.

OT: everything by BioWare.
Arcanum
The Witcher
Vampire the Masquerade
Final Fantasy 6, 7, 9
Disgaea series
Shin megami tense. Warning though, these games are weird as shit and more modern day fantasy.

That's All I can think of right now.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Oblivion there is ALLOT of stuff to do, get the GOTY edition it has even more quests! (or atleast the Shivring Isles)

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Jacklin said:
the title says it all
i havn't played that many, but I liked Mass effect 2 and fallout 3 and liked those.
i want to get into the standard fantasy, magical place etc.
got any names?
If you liked Mass effect 2 and Fallout 3, my suggestion is you aren't looking for an rpg.
Mass effect 2 was barely and rpg, and while F3 has many rpg elements, it is at heart a first person shooter.
My only suggestions would be the Deus ex series, system shock 2 and Fable.
Proper turn based rpg's will most likely bore you.
-Tabs<3-

jamradar

Sep 13, 2010
I found Arcania Gothic 4 to be enjoyable, also if it has been released where you live then try out Two Worlds 2.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Serenegoose said:
I've got suggestions.

Baldur's Gate
Planescape Torment
Arcanum
Dragon Age

As with most RPGs, a synopsis wouldn't do them credit. Mash those names into wiki and see if any sound interesting. Baldur's Gate and Planescape Torment in particular are considered some of the pinnacles of RPG achievement. The good thing is, the first 3 I listed are incredo-cheap, so you can pick them up with almost no financial hardship to yourself.
All great games Soph, but, if you have a look at the initial post, he's played ME 2 which is barely an rpg, and fallout 3, which is a first person shooter with moderate rpg elements.
Most likely he won't have the patience for games (as good as all those are) as involved and as deep as planescape and all the old classics if Me 2 and Fallout 3 are his examples.
Hell I'm not even going to suggest Fallout to him.
-Tabs<3-

ApeShapeDeity

Dec 16, 2010
While I'll totally pay the Arcanum and Oblivion suggestions, I can't help but suggest this.

If you like retro, and you have a fondness for old Sierra style stuff. Dust off the old Hero's Quest series. (Which later had to change thier name to "Quest for Glory" cos some other, far less insteresting game already had that name)

Or if you wanna kick it REAL old school get yourself one of the Ultima games.

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Daedalus1942 said:
All great games Soph, but, if you have a look at the initial post, he's played ME 2 which is barely an rpg, and fallout 3, which is a first person shooter with moderate rpg elements.
Most likely he won't have the patience for games (as good as all those are) as involved and as deep as planescape and all the old classics if Me 2 and Fallout 3 are his examples.
Hell I'm not even going to suggest Fallout to him.
-Tabs<3-
I hardly think that's fair. People discover new genres all the time - sure singleplayer fantasy RPGs might not be the genre he expects (though oblivion is pretty close to fallout 3) but if asked to recommend some good ones, I'll certainly oblige.

And I'd disagree that Fallout 3 is not very RPG. I can't see any way in which it differs beyond being first person. You have stats, and these stats augment your character, you have dialogue with lots of options and choices and ways to act and multiple ways of solving situations, a big world map, involved inventory management, skills to apply when appropriate - yes, you can point a gun at things and shoot them - but unless you've got a decent and relevant gun skill you're going to miss most of the time.