I won't give up

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
Alternative title, "This shit will not beat me!"

I went to I48 today, a nice little video game convention type thing that featured a couple of highlights for me that I won't bore you all about.
Instead, I'm going to talk about a little challenge they had there. A minecraft parkour challenge speed run. I started it... and finished my first run an hour later after getting stuck on a small part. I didn't even care about my time on that or the fact that my hand had cramped up half an hour in, I was not giving up.

So Escapist, anyone here have a situation where you refuse to let a game/challenge/job/etc beat you?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I needed to get to the train station in time to avoid letting my then-girlfriend wait. I had five minutes, and I'd never gotten there in less than eight. So I thought to myself This isn't impossible. This doesn't even come CLOSE to impossible. And then I ran like I'd never run before, not stopping even when my heart pounded like Maxwell's silver hammer. And I did make it.

R4ptur3

Feb 21, 2010
At every martial arts grading I have had. 2 hours on and your body feels weak and you feel sick, but I ain't giving up, no one else is. I will carry on and:

Squiddles

Feb 11, 2013
You know that moment in Mortal Kombat 9 when your fighting Shao Kahn at, well at any point when you have to fight him in the single player mode. Those are the moments when I had to use all my skill and thought power of fighting games!

...That and mostly button mashing like crazy while swearing at the big bad man on my TV screen to just fuck off away from me already. XD

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
The FNG challenge at the beginning of COD4. I spent I don't know how long perfecting my accuracy, learning the exact movements, and overall just wasting my time, but I managed to push my time down to 12.9 seconds. I both loved and hated myself afterwards. Also the Mile High Club on Veteran deserves an honorable mention.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Sounds like this thread needs a some accompanying montage music!

I've had plenty of those moments in Dark Souls and Demon's Souls. One particular boss fight that comes to mind is the Bed of Chaos fight or the Tomb of the Giants section from Dark Souls.

And hey, anyone remember that Achievement from Halo: Reach where you have to jump off a cliff and land perfectly on top of an unaware Elite to air-assassinate them and survive the fall? Imagine that with 4 people simultaneously vying for that kill and you've got a pretty hilarious series of mass suicides.

Geo88

Nerdy Wordsmith
Jul 20, 2010
Happiness Assassin said:
Also the Mile High Club on Veteran deserves an honorable mention.
The Mile High Club on Veteran. That minute of gameplay took me longer to beat than any one level on the same difficulty, including "All Ghillied Up." The worst parts were the two agonizing times I got to the hostage and 1) shot the hostage and 2) missed the shot completely.

I think, all in all, it was about an hour and 15 minutes before I beat it. Ugh...

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Well, someone had to.

That situation kinda happens every week when I go into a raid in World of Warcraft with my guild, since we keep smashing our heads against a boss even if we're not making any actual progress within the fight mechanics. Gets kinda draining, to be honest.

It's happened a few times with games like Devil May Cry or Dark Souls, as well, but that's mostly just down to the difficulty of the game and not because of some extra challenge or anything.

Rooster893

Mwee bwee bwee.
Feb 4, 2009
There was a moment in vanilla Marvel vs. Capcom 3 I had like this. I had successfully killed off his Sentinel and Dante, but his Wesker jumped on and activated his X-Factor. He effortlessly destroyed my Zero and Deadpool, so the only character I had left was Spencer. Well, let's just say it wasn't unlike this.

<youtube=_GDH0Ylp7bc>

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
Queen Michael said:
I needed to get to the train station in time to avoid letting my then-girlfriend wait. I had five minutes, and I'd never gotten there in less than eight. So I thought to myself This isn't impossible. This doesn't even come CLOSE to impossible. And then I ran like I'd never run before, not stopping even when my heart pounded like Maxwell's silver hammer. And I did make it.
That there sounds like something straight out of a sappy romantic movie. Love Actually or something.

OT: Games-wise, Resonance of Fate. The very beginning, the game kinda throws you in with very, very minimal tutorials, and a very unique combat system. The first encounter - literally the first random encounter, not the first boss or anything - killed my entire team. But I would not quit. And eventually, I prevailed.

Real life-wise, I had a dance solo in a musical: this performance was pretty damn important, too, as we were up for a few awards. And, being a complete klutz if I'm not dancing or otherwise concentrating on myself, I tripped backstage and twisted my ankle pretty badly just before I was set to go on. I had to limp up to my place in the wings... but the show went on, and I rocked that solo.

DarksideFlame

Feb 9, 2011
I heard a lot of people praise how challenging and complex The Witcher 2 was, so I bought it during the Steam summer sale and decided to beat it on hard without playing the tutorial or any other kind of guides and for the most part it went fine though there was some frustrating parts

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
Geo88 said:
Happiness Assassin said:
Also the Mile High Club on Veteran deserves an honorable mention.
The Mile High Club on Veteran. That minute of gameplay took me longer to beat than any one level on the same difficulty, including "All Ghillied Up." The worst parts were the two agonizing times I got to the hostage and 1) shot the hostage and 2) missed the shot completely.

I think, all in all, it was about an hour and 15 minutes before I beat it. Ugh...
You know whats worse... I shot the legs of the terrorist out (not wanting to risk it), but the game over screen came up saying "Real veterans go for headshots". I nearly lost my mind at that point.

Pawkeshup

Dec 8, 2010
For games, it was in FFX. There was the ultimate weapon that required you to run and collect butterflies I believe. I played for hours driving myself mad to get it.

For real life, it's my current situation that is driving me nuts, need money to move and keep having setbacks, but I will prevail!

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Jak and Daxter 3, the final boss.

Back in my younger days that boss was such a ass to me, it wasn't cool.
I had to face it 15 times ... 15!
Though when I picked up the HD collection I beat it without a sweat.

Good thing I have improved over the years. Except ...

... some of those timed challenges are still b*tch. >.<

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Pawkeshup said:
For games, it was in FFX. There was the ultimate weapon that required you to run and collect butterflies I believe. I played for hours driving myself mad to get it.
Of god the wasted time. I remember those weapons, but for me the really tricky one was completing the Chocobo race with a time of 0.00 seconds. Took so damn long

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I'm like this with anyone who taunts mid match in UMVC3. *****! YOU AIN'T GOT NOTHING ON MY DARK VERGIL!

I mean really, who in the right mind gives a Dark Vergil more motivation to win? Madness!

FirstToStrike said:
There was a moment in vanilla Marvel vs. Capcom 3 I had like this. I had successfully killed off his Sentinel and Dante, but his Wesker jumped on and activated his X-Factor. He effortlessly destroyed my Zero and Deadpool, so the only character I had left was Spencer. Well, let's just say it wasn't unlike this.

<youtube=_GDH0Ylp7bc>

YESH!

I love Dante combos. So stylish!

That ridiculous cross under. So simple yet so effective.

MiskWisk

Mar 17, 2012
NightHawk21 said:
Pawkeshup said:
Of god the wasted time. I remember those weapons, but for me the really tricky one was completing the Chocobo race with a time of 0.00 seconds. Took so damn long
What? No hatred for dodging the lightning bolts in a row? Pretty sure that was the worst one.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Well... Life counts right? I mean I've suffered major injuries, nearly died more than a few times, been on the verge of suicide a good deal of my life, and lemme tell you, fighting suicidal depression when you have no home, and are slowly starving to death(eating a piece of toast or a bowl of rice once every 3-5 days, y'know, whenever somoene decided to give me some food) is not exactly fun times, and I'm proud to have made it through anyhow.

I know life only ever gets harder, and I accept that as a challenge, and the day I fail to meet that challenge will be the day I die.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
MiskWisk said:
NightHawk21 said:
Pawkeshup said:
What? No hatred for dodging the lightning bolts in a row? Pretty sure that was the worst one.
That one was more tedious than difficult though. Surprisingly easy when you get used to it.