I Would Like To Play Monster Hunter, What Should I Get?

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Very quick thread here. I want to play Monster Hunter online but would rather not get a 3DS, what are my options?

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Get a Wii U? There's not many options, honestly. All the new releases with online play have been tied to Nintendo consoles. Unless you import Monster Portable 3rd HD for PS3 and manage to find what few players there are left, you don't really have many options. There's Freedom Unite on PSP, but just like Portable 3rd HD, you have to set up ad-hoc, and that's kind of a pain. Plus, most of the hunting community are on the newer games.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
cojo965 said:
Very quick thread here. I want to play Monster Hunter online but would rather not get a 3DS, what are my options?
Monster Hunter 3 is on the Wii U. That's basically it for online play if you don't have a 3DS.

Nuuu

Jan 28, 2011
cojo965 said:
Unfortunately Capcom has said they are no longer making Monster Hunter for consoles, so the one on Wii U is your only option.

I'm hoping that they'll end up making one for the Switch considering what kind of console it is, but i'm not betting on it.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Nuuu said:
cojo965 said:
Unfortunately Capcom has said they are no longer making Monster Hunter for consoles, so the one on Wii U is your only option.

I'm hoping that they'll end up making one for the Switch considering what kind of console it is, but i'm not betting on it.
Eeeh...never say never. I recall an interview where they did say they really liked the 3DS architecture but if Nintendo starts moving their resources away from the 3DS than the next MH after...Generations? XX? Well the current Monster Hunter game in the earliest stages of development might find its way onto the Switch. It might be a while though.

OP: If you don't want to buy a 3DS or Wii U than you might have to get either a PSP or dig out your PS2...or buy a PS2. There is at least one PS2 Monster Hunter game that launched in 2004 so if you don't mind playing an older game you might want to go with that. Otherwise I'd say to seriously consider getting an older model 3DS since those (even the XL) do a good job running MH4 or 3U. I think that the general consensus is that each new Monster Hunter is better than the last to some degree or other.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Unfortunately, getting a 3DS for the newer MH games might be the better option. If you have a PSP, Freedom Unite is for sure the best option. Got a Wii U? 3 Ultimate. But the newer games tend to bring changes, balances, and a bunch of lovely extras that make the games more enjoyable to play. Plus more monsters!

If you do get a 3DS for the games, then there's 4 Ultimate or Generations. If you want a tiny bit more plot (But by all means nothing spectacular, and maybe not worth it), 4 Ultimate is really good and an excellent choice. Don't give a toss about plot? Generations is the way to go. Although, Japan is getting MH XX soon, and we can expect to get it in the west, which brings about more changes, monsters, locations, and the extra difficulty called G Rank. Something to consider if you do plan on getting Generations, as waiting for a western release of XX might be a better plan

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
I never played it but I read good things about God Eater 2. I believe its on the PS3/4 and PC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sskHi7G6S-k

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
You're pretty much boned if you don't want to get a 3DS, that's where the majority of players are in right now.

Monster Hunter Online for PC is Chinese Exclusive, while Monster Hunter Frontier, which is for consoles is still Japanese exclusive.

Getting the older Ps2 and PSP versions is good, but you have to search for people still playing it. The closest you get is buy MH3U for the Wii U.

If you do get a 3DS, start with 4U for the basics, and maybe wait for the localized version of Monster Hunter XX.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Just here to say that XX is coming to the Switch. So there's that, too.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Wasted said:
I never played it but I read good things about God Eater 2. I believe its on the PS3/4 and PC.

It's fucking garbage and should be avoided at all costs just like their toukiden games.

Dansen

Master Lurker
Mar 24, 2010
Spacewolf said:
Wasted said:

It's fucking garbage and should be avoided at all costs just like their toukiden games.
Care to elaborate? They've come up a couple of times on steam while browsing for games.

Vassassell

May 4, 2017
Spacewolf said:
Wasted said:

Toukiden 2 is good. GE Resurrection gets progressively better. GE2 and Toukiden...are still better than Freedom Unite and everything before them. They are repetitive, especially GE, but not unfair stupid ugly bullshit.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Vassassell said:
Spacewolf said:
Wasted said:

Toukiden 2 is good. GE Resurrection gets progressively better. GE2 and Toukiden...are still better than Freedom Unite and everything before them. They are repetitive, especially GE, but not unfair stupid ugly bullshit.
How are the MH games unfair? I've only played the first and MHP3rdHD but neither seemed unfair apart from the Plesi hip check hit box but that's pretty much a meme by now. The main issue I have with the GE and Toukiden games is they lack any sort of weight your character jumps around like a anime protagonist on pixie dust and the monsters for at least the length of the story campaign can barely touch you and if they do it does fuck all damage. They also seem to have a less in depth crafting system in MH your sword can usually become two or three upgraded forms which then each have their own branching paths the GE and Toukiden games only seem to have one or two paths at most which loses the major attraction of the MH games of killing a bunch of rare animals enough times that you can literally wear them as shorts.

Vassassell

May 4, 2017
Spacewolf said:
Vassassell said:
Spacewolf said:
Wasted said:

How are the MH games unfair? I've only played the first and MHP3rdHD but neither seemed unfair apart from the Plesi hip check hit box but that's pretty much a meme by now. The main issue I have with the GE and Toukiden games is they lack any sort of weight your character jumps around like a anime protagonist on pixie dust and the monsters for at least the length of the story campaign can barely touch you and if they do it does fuck all damage. They also seem to have a less in depth crafting system in MH your sword can usually become two or three upgraded forms which then each have their own branching paths the GE and Toukiden games only seem to have one or two paths at most which loses the major attraction of the MH games of killing a bunch of rare animals enough times that you can literally wear them as shorts.
You played different GE then, lol. Like, by themselves Aragami can be avoided if you don't overcommit, yeah. But they usually come in two, with a bunch of support. Or in 4.
In case of GE, everything is weightless, but this is at least consistent across everything. In Toukiden the point is shifting between two states though - Oni can be prety animalitistic and then BAM become a fucking fidget spinner out of the blue. Slayers share those weird properties. Though i wouldn't call Toukiden weightless at all, it's just not grounded. Also, again. in 2 they are way harder and interesting. Plus weapons are harder to operate. constant stamina combo, parry and other management on pretty much every one of them.
In GE you can have skills on all 3 pieces of equipment + main module + blood art/predator style + link support devices + NPC skills. In T2 you have 3 mitamas, one for 4 active buffs, one for ultra attack with drawbacks, one with conditional passive, all 3 with shitloads of unlockable boosts of which you can only activate 3. Skills. ultras and conditional are type-related, while boosts are unique for every mitama. Plus mitamas of NPC. Plus Tenko's. Plus shrine, pool and food boosts. Someone asked for depth?

And now to older MH. Did you fought Kut-Ku? His tail swipe is a real killer. His slow, tiny, little tail does shitloads of damage and has giant hitbox. When Rathalos does his bite, hw twitches hi tail slightly, which results in covering everything behind him giant damage box. Every fucking wyvern does walking animation without actually moving! All 3 Fatalis are basically instakill badly animated derpy boxes of death with two attacks and no way to attack them with melee! First two generations are BROKEN. Steam Greenlight level of quality. And when they aren't broken, ala when second gn monsters kick in, they are boring. Ogretails feel more engaging than Kushala Daora. And grinding machalite sucks. Grind is fun when actions you need to perform are fun. Evrything past Tri is good though. Including P3rd. Like, they fired everyone who did first two games and hired talented people who don't have sadistic tendencies kind of good.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
Vassassell said:
You played different GE then, lol. Like, by themselves Aragami can be avoided if you don't overcommit, yeah. But they usually come in two, with a bunch of support. Or in 4.
In case of GE, everything is weightless, but this is at least consistent across everything. In Toukiden the point is shifting between two states though - Oni can be prety animalitistic and then BAM become a fucking fidget spinner out of the blue. Slayers share those weird properties. Though i wouldn't call Toukiden weightless at all, it's just not grounded. Also, again. in 2 they are way harder and interesting. Plus weapons are harder to operate. constant stamina combo, parry and other management on pretty much every one of them.
In GE you can have skills on all 3 pieces of equipment + main module + blood art/predator style + link support devices + NPC skills. In T2 you have 3 mitamas, one for 4 active buffs, one for ultra attack with drawbacks, one with conditional passive, all 3 with shitloads of unlockable boosts of which you can only activate 3. Skills. ultras and conditional are type-related, while boosts are unique for every mitama. Plus mitamas of NPC. Plus Tenko's. Plus shrine, pool and food boosts. Someone asked for depth?

And now to older MH. Did you fought Kut-Ku? His tail swipe is a real killer. His slow, tiny, little tail does shitloads of damage and has giant hitbox. When Rathalos does his bite, hw twitches hi tail slightly, which results in covering everything behind him giant damage box. Every fucking wyvern does walking animation without actually moving! All 3 Fatalis are basically instakill badly animated derpy boxes of death with two attacks and no way to attack them with melee! First two generations are BROKEN. Steam Greenlight level of quality. And when they aren't broken, ala when second gn monsters kick in, they are boring. Ogretails feel more engaging than Kushala Daora. And grinding machalite sucks. Grind is fun when actions you need to perform are fun. Evrything past Tri is good though. Including P3rd. Like, they fired everyone who did first two games and hired talented people who don't have sadistic tendencies kind of good.
Maybe I'll give Toukiden 2 a go then, I played GE1 and 2 and found them so easy I completed the entire single player campaign without dying. The first Toukiden was abit harder but as I said was very floaty and overly easy again. (Used the chain and blade and would barely touch the floor in a fight, and the Onis couldn't track or touch me even if I didn't try to dodge, the White wolf boss was just a disappointment.)

Yea I played the first MH used SnS and could solo YKKs and everything up to Blos without a single hit with only my tier 3 assassin blade. It's probably my favourite out of all the MH games I've played and in my top five games, P3rd I did enjoy but not quite as much although the Thunder Wolf is probably my Fav boss and would agree it was better designed than most bosses in MH standard. (I would fight it without armour just because each of it's attacks can be perfectly dodged.)

Edit: Dragons Dogma is a decent game but isn't really like MH it's alot more traditional RPG. (Play NG+ offline though it makes the final boss more impactful.)

BronzeHeart92

Jun 7, 2017
Assuming that it gets released outside Japan, I would recommend Monster Hunter XX for the switch. Should be worth a try at least.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
cojo965 said:
Well if you can wait until 2018 looks like you will be able to get monster hunter world for PS$, XB1 or PC.