I Wrote That Crap!

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Y'know bob.. if you make that 'Ten Nights of the Weed'
into an animated web feature i'd watch it

i've seen worse.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
I'm quite glad that people here, well at least not all, aren't kissing Bob's ass and saying "these sound awesome" like I've seen with so many other internet critics, like Rap Critic's fucking awful music.

*looks at facebook comments*

Oh Goddammit

DickRangler

Nov 18, 2009
Are you sure these aren't the BEST screenplays you've ever written? If you had a low enough budget and some very "unique" actors you could have some baller cult films.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
The shocking thing is - I bet these screenplays are way, way worse than you make them sound :)

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Talk about tripping right out of the gate. The horror is how it keeps flopping along at an absurd pace without bothering to pick itself up.

What is it about that age (teenager mostly) that makes creative people DO these things?

Alex Baas

Dec 2, 2011
My competitive nature wants to one-up you for horrible screen play, but then I remember the "write your own screenplay assignment" I had in school and will live comfortable knowing that I won. My common sense also tells me to burn it.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Well, you did a good job of making "Ten Nights of the Weed" sound awesome, at least in a tongue-in-cheek, deliberately-over-the-top, modern-day-B-movie sort of way. But you said you actually wrote out the entire screenplay, so I'm sure the devil was in the details.

It's clear what's wrong with The Pursuit of Happiness: it was trying to be a 100% serious work of satire from someone who had yet to learn what subtlety was (some professionals never do; just look at some of Family Guy's writers). With a premise like that, it'd be hard to rework it as anything else, but the video game references probably would have done well with the sort of people who loved Scott Pilgrim. On the other hand, we now know from experience how poorly that goes over with mainstream audiences.

Oh, and in case you didn't learn by now: the logic behind the "Justin Bailey" thing was based on something that turned out to not be true. No one in Australia calls swimsuits "baileys" except maybe gamers who are deliberately referencing the old legend. (Hmm. Note to self: Start doing that if I ever move to Australia.)

Sepiida

Jan 25, 2010
Props to you sir. It takes a lot of balls to admit to doing shitty work.

As for the movies themselves, Ten Nights of the Weed actually sounds pretty fun in a terrible, cheesy, only-watch-after-drinking-ten-shots-of-sake way. If this were the 1980's I can see something like that being picked up for the direct-to-video scene.

Pursuit of Happiness sounds...awful. Again, props to you for not only being able to look back on that and recognize why it was so bad but also for sharing it with the rest of us.

ImSkeletor

Feb 6, 2010
Yeah Ten Nights of the Weed sounds terrible but possibly fun terrible like Hobo with a Shotgun or something. Pursuit of Happiness sounds like actual unfilmable garbage. But all writers make trash sometimes. I have written many many things and I think only one of them was readable and it was a two or three page short story. Everything else was absolute crap.

MightyLB

Nov 18, 2009
I take it, Bob, that this is your "Please don't watch The Silver Chalice [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silver_Chalice_%28film%29]. Sincerely, Paul Newman." moment. I applaud your candor, especially since I too have written absolutely-awful fiction. I was only saved from my teenage idiocy by not getting to the post-it-online stage of publishing.

I haven't seen The Silver Chalice, but I've trusted Mr. Newman's judgment on this one thus far. That was before I saw screencaps of it someone posted online. I knew this film was a huge wheel of Early Christianity Fiction 50's film cheese, but I was not aware of the silly sets, Orion slave girl cameos, and a costume covered in black sperm cut-outs. [http://themostbeautifulfraudintheworld.blogspot.com/2011/04/silver-chalice-or-paul-newman-holy.html] Now that I am aware of just how bad this movie is, I'm thinking a MSTie night is in order.

TL;DR It's healing for creative people to own up to the crap they've done. Good for you, Bob.

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Those sound like the sort of things that happen in my weird alcohol-induced nightmares, alongside the Pyramid Chav and Cthulhu vs the Giant Cyber Crazy-Frog (Cthulhu was the good guy in that by default :) ).

Ten Nights of Weed could make an entertaining cartoon if done right.

Jenvas1306

May 1, 2012
Aahllrriight.........

that sounds... interessting(?)

ah damn, I've seen worse.(RE5)
this could be actually great, if done right. its a viilian made of weed, and the other has syringes for arms, and a tap for a hand? a working beer tap? god damn....

i want to see that

rickthetrick

Jun 19, 2009
SirDerick said:
"Ten Nights of the Weed"

Ok, someone needs to make that movie ASAP.
I'm sure Uwe Boll could make that happen.

And the sad part is I'd watch that shit so hard!

Steve Dark

Oct 23, 2008
And they're still better films than Twilight.

Though seriously, they're IMPRESSIVELY bad. Couple either of them with the Garth Marenghi school of film making and you've got a so-bad-it's-good winner!

rickthetrick said:
I'm sure Uwe Boll could make that happen.
Or that, though I'd worry the combination of the two would push past bad-it's-funny territory and into that scary place you find the Star Wars Christmas special. *shivers*

Penguin_Factory

Sep 13, 2010
You know, if you stripped out all of the juvenile bullshit in these they both contain the potential to be a decent story. In particular if you used just this bit from Pursuit of Happiness:

The main story turns on a Columbine-style massacre/suicide at a high school. The perpetrator turns out to have been a game tester who'd been working on our heroes' upcoming title, and he'd left graffiti and audio recordings indicating that he was unquestionably acting out behaviors, catchphrases, etc., from the game. Having been handed their smoking gun, the pro-censorship lobby passes sweeping laws and the public turns against the gaming culture

I don't think any story about video game violence and censorship has ever focused on the actual developers before, so showing the moral panic from their perspective could be interesting.

eternal-chaplain

Mar 17, 2010
Ever since I heard that Bob acted in a couple of short films, I spent a while trying to find one, so this is awesome to finally see one!