IBM's New Chip Replicates Your Brain

Venats

Aug 22, 2011
theultimateend said:
OR...just create nanomachines that will repair parts of the brain that atrophy with age. Keeping your same brain but removing the degradation of time.

I'd be hard pressed to believe that we won't accomplish something this complex within my lifetime. Considering the acceleration of technology.
You, and transhumanists in general, need to learn what machine rot is, what it means for silicon-based anything, and why life evolved as gooey carbon-biomass and not iron-steel-*insert metal and hardware tech here*. Humans and life in general may be fragile, and it may be short lived, but at the very least it doesn't have to worry about keeping its "important parts" inside a Faraday cage in the fear that at any moment the sun/galaxy/universe might just decided to destroy all electrical circuitry. Sure, we might at any point die to a burp from our local super black hole (that thing at the center of our galaxy that's dormant and not spewing untold amounts of radiation every which way) but electronics are just as equally vulnerable to said destruction.

When they make me a carbon-based computer, when they make me a quantum computer that can match the quantum computing present in a plant cell (let alone a sparrow, which has now been confirmed to exist (guess brains aren't as linear as we once though)), then I'll be waiting for our superior master-robot (which at that point won't be robots by any modern definition) overlords. Until that time, though, we should all stick to the tried and true method of creating human-computers: sex, nine-months, and a then a lot of grief/happiness/money.

As for nanomachines, the smaller you make machines the more they will be under the sway of the micro-prevalent forces, and the more they will break/do things wrong/scramble/not work. If you want a nanomachine, look to a virus. Nature made them already and they didn't turn out so well for any one, now did they? Let's not make more of them, shall we?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Venats said:
If you want a nanomachine, look to a virus. Nature made them already and they didn't turn out so well for any one, now did they?
I dunno, it seemed to turn out pretty well for the viruses.

Venats

Aug 22, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
Venats said:
If you want a nanomachine, look to a virus. Nature made them already and they didn't turn out so well for any one, now did they?
I dunno, it seemed to turn out pretty well for the viruses.
Dunno bout that; their only function is to destroy the source of their own existence. If viruses succeed then they and everything else lose/disappear/die. They are self-destructive to a disturbing extrema, but they're effective in forcing evolution's hand... so I guess they have their purpose.

I wonder what rampant nanobots would force evolution to do?...