Ice Age - Collision Course - Go Extinct Already

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Deathfish15 said:
Nope, only 14!
"Only" is never a good word to put into that sentence. Not for a movie series!
I didn't mind the first. I thought it was good fun and probably holds up on nowadays. But jesus... This series needs to be put...
*puts on sunglasses*
... on ice [http://imgur.com/a/P7AUI]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I suppose if it keeps the attentions of their bawling spawn occupied, parents will be happy to fork over $14 for 90 minutes.

(I am still bitter about the parents who brought their 3 year olds in to see Deadpool)

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Its a huge shame blue sky still have only ever made two great movies, the original ice age and robots. Both are utterly fantastic and still hold up incredibly well, especially robots, god I love that fucking movie.

But yeah just like the shrek franchise and many pixar films now it seems these studios inevitably end up making pointless sequel after pointless sequel, ultimately killing whatever good ideas the original had. Hell even the first Shrek is still great.

Its weird how this hasn't happened to Kung Fu Panda yet, the first is still the best but the two sequels are both really good.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Darth_Payn said:
klaynexas3 said:
Oh Dreamworks, why am I not surprised to see your band caught in the cookie jar again. I understand beating series into the ground is something you do, but maybe it's time to give it up. Remember what happened with Shrek? Or the Madagascar movies? Remember, more means less people like it. I know you enjoy your money from your big series and all, but at some point you need to realize more is only a bad thing.
DreamWorks? I thought these are from 20th Century Fox.
But are the other characters, like, still aware of Scrat's existence at this point? You'd think that when something catastrophic happens to them, Manny, Sid, and Diego would go, "Dammit, Scrat! Not again!"
I could be wrong, I haven't paid enough attention to these movies to know exactly who makes them, but it seems to have the Dreamworks ideaology all over it. They even have the Dreamworks face on the front poster of everyone staring at the camera.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
LazyAza said:
Its a huge shame blue sky still have only ever made two great movies, the original ice age and robots. Both are utterly fantastic and still hold up incredibly well, especially robots, god I love that fucking movie.

But yeah just like the shrek franchise and many pixar films now it seems these studios inevitably end up making pointless sequel after pointless sequel, ultimately killing whatever good ideas the original had. Hell even the first Shrek is still great.

Its weird how this hasn't happened to Kung Fu Panda yet, the first is still the best but the two sequels are both really good.
I'm still not sure if there's an artistic heart at all in Blue Sky. The two movies you cite are alright, and have decent energy, but they haven't even attempted to try something remarkable. Pixar knows just how to plant a knife directly in your feels, and Dreamworks Animation's freshman outing was The Prince of Egypt, one of the most stunning pieces of animation ever. Disney is 2/3(fucking planes) on great CGI films and is bringing the subversive back to the 2d through its TV channels. WB, while I believe just happened to be producing and distribution, still have their stamp on Mask of the Phantasm and Iron Giant

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
FirstNameLastName said:
Silentpony said:
5 Ice Age movies, and only 1 Zootopia movie.

Thanks Obama! This is why we can't have nice things!
Don't worry, after the success of Zootopia I'm sure they'll begin churning out sequels of rapidly declining quality until everything you liked from the original is a distant memory.
I don't know, so far Disney hasn't been doing the sequel thing quite as much. Which is kind of a shame since I want to see more big hero 6. I know they are working on another frozen, but I think with a little creativity a sequel to Zootopia could really work, unlike a frozen sequel.

Zootopia is a big universe, lots to play with, Frozen is based on the two leads, still stuff to do, but your kinda limited by the characters... although, could you imagine their kingdom going to war with Elsa leading teh charge to conqure the kingdom from like... uhhh beauty and the beast?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
LazyAza said:
Haven't seen Robots, but The Peanuts Movie is a very good movie. Currently the #8 movie I've seen in cinemas this year.

I agree with the original Ice Age though.

MCerberus said:
I'm still not sure if there's an artistic heart at all in Blue Sky.
I think there is, but maybe not in writing. Rio, for example, is an absolutely beautiful film to look at, just one with a cliched plot and cliched characters. You also don't produce films like the original Ice Age and The Peanuts Movie without having a 'heart' behind them.

MCerberus said:
and Dreamworks Animation's freshman outing was The Prince of Egypt,
Antz, actually.

Worgen said:
I don't know, so far Disney hasn't been doing the sequel thing quite as much. Which is kind of a shame since I want to see more big hero 6. I know they are working on another frozen, but I think with a little creativity a sequel to Zootopia could really work, unlike a frozen sequel.

Zootopia is a big universe, lots to play with, Frozen is based on the two leads, still stuff to do, but your kinda limited by the characters... although, could you imagine their kingdom going to war with Elsa leading teh charge to conqure the kingdom from like... uhhh beauty and the beast?
Wreck-it Ralph is getting a sequel as well.

Also, Frozen could easily have a sequel. Not as easily as those other examples, but when you combine a magical kingdom with ice powers and a shared setting with Tangled (yes, I subscribe to that theory), then there's still realm for that. There's plenty of EU material that takes place after the film already.

Cap'nPipsqueak

Jul 2, 2016
Worgen said:
I don't know, so far Disney hasn't been doing the sequel thing quite as much.
Yeah, their current thing seems to be taking their classic movies and then urinating on them.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Cap said:
Worgen said:
Yeah, their current thing seems to be taking their classic movies and then urinating on them.
I think only tangled did that, I suppose Frozen might have been in the same room watching. Both were still quite good though.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
When I was young it was all about The Land Before Time. They've made so many shitty sequels to that wonderful movie that I don't even know how many it's been now. Ice Age is, and has been, The Land Before Time done over again.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Worgen said:

I agree big hero 6 and zootopia would make for amazing sequels. Rise of the guardians should have had a sequel too, its the avengers with santa clause. What is not to love?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
bjj hero said:
Worgen said:

I agree big hero 6 and zootopia would make for amazing sequels. Rise of the guardians should have had a sequel too, its the avengers with santa clause. What is not to love?
Ehh, Rise of the Guardians had a more interesting setup then execution. It seemed like something that should have gone for a bit higher of a rating, I mean if you are going to have santa running around with a sword you want to see him chop something with it and I don't recall it really ever being used. Then again I was rather drunk when I saw it.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Worgen said:
bjj hero said:
Worgen said:

Ehh, Rise of the Guardians had a more interesting setup then execution. It seemed like something that should have gone for a bit higher of a rating, I mean if you are going to have santa running around with a sword you want to see him chop something with it and I don't recall it really ever being used. Then again I was rather drunk when I saw it.
Do you see all of your kids movies drunk? I see your point. It was like a set up for a follow up. The movie set up the team. It felt a lot like BH6 to me and I enjoyed both movies.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
bjj hero said:
Worgen said:
bjj hero said:
Worgen said:

Do you see all of your kids movies drunk? I see your point. It was like a set up for a follow up. The movie set up the team. It felt a lot like BH6 to me and I enjoyed both movies.
Of course, I tend to watch movies with my friend on our drink nights. Zootopia I saw sober since just a normal theater was showing it, but I rarely go to the movie theater.

I enjoyed the execution of Big Hero 6 more, but I think Rise had more potential. I mean having fantasy characters be a hero team kinda thing, thats pretty cool, I just wish they went further with it. Take something like hellsing where you have the nazies using germanic folk myths and such, thats cool, although I wish when they attacked england there were english myths that showed up like the lady in the lake, king arthur, robin hood and the green knight. Wait, what was my point? I don't know, but oh a shiny thing.

Verrik

Sep 28, 2012
Cap said:
Worgen said:
By classics you mean, Cinderella and Jungle Book? Cinderella did pretty well, and Jungle Book was received very well, both by critics and audiences. So, how is that "urinating" on them?

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Every time I've gone to the movies to see a kid's film (Jungle Book, Finding Dory, Zootopia), I had to sit through that cringe fest of a trailer.