id Software: PC Gaming "Not Dead, But Different"

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
personally. i have been a pc gamer for about 2 years now and i love it. but its getting to the point where due to not many exclusives that i like for the pc, and so many good ones for consoles im about to switch. see. i just got a job, so imma buy a new macbook pro, and a xbox 360 and ps3 probably, as well as a big ass monitor... that sounds bad. i payed for my pc games damnit!

i think imma use the MBP for the occasional pc exclusive i love, MMO's, RTS games, and many many indie/casual games; while i use the PS3 for general gaming and blu ray, and the 360 for its exclusives and the back catalog

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Maybe if they stopped releasing the same shooter with better graphics every few years they'd succeed also.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
Always liked the feel of playing games on a computer more than a console. FPS controls on a console feel awkward to me...

Anyway, I stand behind PC games, I don't think they'll ever die unless, as another poster said, PCs die.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
If there were a company with a lot of resources, who took up PC gaming as there, "Platform" and marketed it, then PC gaming would start cutting into 2nd place from time to time.

If PC hardware became more standardized, and developers could make games as reliable on PC as consoles, then it could be a contender for first.

Personally, If I get even remotely decent ports, and a few games that really utilize the PCs abilities, then Ill be happy.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"It's probably getting back to the point right now where technically on the PCs you're going to be able to start doing more and more things that you can't do on the consoles,"

You're at that point before the new consoles are even released.

AND FARMVILLE HAS FUCK ALL TO DO WITH US. Of course there are more people playing FarmVille then CoD; that's because there are more people on Facebook than there are gamers! Not because all the PC gamers are suddenly ditching their copies of HL2 and deciding to grow virtual corn.

lijenstina

Jun 18, 2008
Xanadu84 said:
If there were a company with a lot of resources, who took up PC gaming as there, "Platform" and marketed it, then PC gaming would start cutting into 2nd place from time to time.

If PC hardware became more standardized, and developers could make games as reliable on PC as consoles, then it could be a contender for first.

Personally, If I get even remotely decent ports, and a few games that really utilize the PCs abilities, then Ill be happy.
There is a company - it is Microsoft. Uh wait... :)

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
lijenstina said:
Developers will crawl back to the PC's turf after scratching their heads in wonder - how anyone could possibly make a game using just 512 mb of RAM :p
My sister's shitty 4 year old laptop has more RAM than that. RAM really isn't that big a deal when it comes to consoles and games in general. GPU and CPU specs are what really matter.

OT: What id said.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
lijenstina said:
Xanadu84 said:

There is a company - it is Microsoft. Uh wait... :)
That's certainly a point to make, the Microsoft has X Box, which competes with the PC, but that's barely the tip of the iceberg. You then have NVidia and Radeon making video cards, and competing with each other before they advance the platform. And they only have a small piece of it, not to mention plenty of sales from people who want video cards for other uses. Tons of individual publishers try to push the game, but usually its on console, and they just push there game. Whereas Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo spend a huge amount of energy making there platform iconic, desirable, and marketable. If Valve was absolutely huge, and started subsidizing big developers to make Steam exclusives, then PC gaming would end up with a popularity comparable to consoles. It probably won't happen, though.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
PC gaming has been dying since before I was even alive. Hell, PC gaming was "dying" before it was even born.

Hope it keeps dying this way!

lijenstina

Jun 18, 2008
thatstheguy said:
My sister's shitty 4 year old laptop has more RAM than that. RAM really isn't that big a deal when it comes to consoles and games in general. GPU and CPU specs are what really matter.

Wait

*******Loading Sceen************
I hate when someone makes a moot point

*******Loading Screen***********

You know, everything counts CPU, GPU and System Ram

*******Loading screen***********
I used ram just as an example of raising hardware requirements

But maybe I'm mistaken :)

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
lijenstina said:
thatstheguy said:

Wait

*******Loading Sceen************
I hate when someone makes a moot point

*******Loading Screen***********

You know, everything counts CPU, GPU and System Ram

I used ram just as an example of raising hardware requirements

But maybe I'm mistaken :)
The limitations of RAM are simply because the 360 is 5 years old. It's something all consoles face. Complaining about that in a console is also a pretty moot point.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
"Everybody is either just buying the new World of Warcraft expansion every two years (or StarCraft every ten), playing Farmville,"

So gaming isn't dead, it's a zombie. Great, even better.

I'm not sure I'm in a position to say this, but I'm not sure how many people here would consider FarmVille PC gaming, +1 if you agree on this since I don't really know.

Saying PC gaming isn't dead, that there is WoW with 10 million players is like saying my garden isn't dead, it has one giant cactus growing in the middle of the dirt.

lijenstina

Jun 18, 2008
Xanadu84 said:
That's certainly a point to make, the Microsoft has X Box, which competes with the PC, but that's barely the tip of the iceberg. You then have NVidia and Radeon making video cards, and competing with each other before they advance the platform. And they only have a small piece of it, not to mention plenty of sales from people who want video cards for other uses. Tons of individual publishers try to push the game, but usually its on console, and they just push there game. Whereas Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo spend a huge amount of energy making there platform iconic, desirable, and marketable. If Valve was absolutely huge, and started subsidizing big developers to make Steam exclusives, then PC gaming would end up with a popularity comparable to consoles. It probably won't happen, though.
Microsoft is the major part of the problem.
When they started making consoles Windows games went into the back-burner. PC gaming is still prevalently under the MS paw (Windows, DirectX) so the attitude of the company can influence the perception of the developers towards the ecosystem.

If there was a shift in the OS business where a competition would significantly raise above today's levels - maybe something will happen concerning the care about the PC side of things - Windows games libraries are one of biggest comparative advantages towards to possible opposition. I don't think that will happen in the near future , but who knows what will PC gaming look like in 10 years. Hope for the best:)

dghjdgdjf

Nov 9, 2009
I think it's great how Id's making sort of a comeback seeing as they havn't really been doing anything for the last 5 years.

God I hope Doom 4 is frightening... Though with the graphics being as they are today and with the new Idtech5, it's probably going to atleast give you one or two scares no mather how generic it is.

Pretty much exactly like Doom 3 when it was released. Generic? Yes. Scary? Hell yes. Still scary today? Not really... The graphics just don't cut it anymore in Doom 3. (Even though it still looks good today compared to some other games.)

lijenstina

Jun 18, 2008
thatstheguy said:
The limitations of RAM are simply because the 360 is 5 years old. It's something all consoles face. Complaining about that in a console is also a pretty moot point.
It's something that the universe faces too. Everything has an end. That makes everything moot :)

Odjin

Nov 14, 2007
Oh come on... that's not the point there folks. PC gaming is not changing it's just people getting fed up about mediocre games. So start making good games and leave the crappy rehashes, buggy release-titles and mediocre shooter-XYZ at home and then things work again. Especially don't turn promising PC games into crap titles because of making them work on a console. I've yet to see one single PC game which did not suffer from being dumbed down to console level.

OrdinaryGuy

Oct 19, 2009
The only thing changing about PC gaming is the games. When developers make more games multi-platform, they have to change the way the game plays to fit the needs of both console and PC players. *This* is why people think PC gaming is dying. There aren't any less PC players or games being released (in fact, both numbers are rising). There just aren't as many developers willing to make PC exclusives or games developed with the PC in mind.

And of course DRM doesn't help the situation. I bought one game from GFWL and will never do so again.