Ideas for a Death Battle opponent for Saitama

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
I'm watching the Toonami premier of One Punch Man, and I suddenly thought "if Saitama was in a Death Battle, who would be a proper opponent for him?"

Tentatively, I would say Cody Travers from Final Fight and Street Fighter.

Both are massively overpowered warriors who eventually got bored with fighting in some way (Cody's addiction to fighting eventually not satiating him, and Saitama becoming bored due to not having to try when fighting). Both live lives that are not exactly ideal to say the least (Saitama lives paycheck to paycheck, with almost nobody taking him seriously, Cody being a jailbird). Both gaining their power through unbelievably-mundane means compared to most warriors of their tier (Saitama and his workout regimine, Cody street fighting and surviving prison)

Most of all, as mentioned previously, both are each one of the most powerful beings in their worlds. Saitama can kill nearly anything in one punch (with his punches being strong enough for the resulting gust of wind melting solid rock). Cody is powerful enough that Oni (the theoretical final form of Akuma, who, as Akuma, can punch strong enough to sink an island if memory serves) considers him a worthy foe.

What do you doods think?, who would you put Saitama against in a Death Battle?

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
I don't know, God maybe? Dr. Manhattan could probably take him.

It would be nice to see him kill superman, since screw attack just wants to fanboy for him.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Fox12 said:

It would be nice to see him kill superman, since screw attack just wants to fanboy for him.
To be fair, they do admit that Goku is just as much an ultimate hero as Supes is. It's just that Superman is written by DC to be one of the most overpowered characters in fiction (seriously, in older comics, Superman can clap strong enough to affect the solar system).

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
What about the Lady of Pain from Dungeons & Dragons?

Or Pun-Pun, the mighty kobold?

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
Asclepion said:
Or Beerus, the God of Destruction from Dragonball Z.

Superman would get curbed by Saitama, but then, Saitama's the kind of guy who'd share a sandwich with Supes rather than fight him to the death.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
All you'd need is one metapod!
Saitama tries to punch, Metapod uses Harden, Saitamas hand is broken.
Fight over!

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Asclepion said:
Not much of a battle, is it? I don't know much about Saitama, but I do know Lady of Pain, and I know whenever she's involved there is no 'battle', there's only ever the whim of the Lady.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
The Madman said:
Not much of a battle, is it? I don't know much about Saitama, but I do know Lady of Pain, and I know whenever she's involved there is no 'battle', there's only ever the whim of the Lady.
I was under the assumption that Saitama was arbitrarily strong so he can defeat any opponent with a single punch. He might be able to KO her.

Pun-Pun has arbitrarily high stats and can increase them at will, so he is as strong as he wants to be.

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Asclepion said:
I was under the assumption that Saitama was arbitrarily strong so he can defeat any opponent with a single punch. He might be able to KO her.
I know who One Punch Man is, and unfortunately his trick wont work on the Lady of Pain because she's as much a gimmick as he is. It's the classic unstoppable force vs. immovable object problem: Saitama can beat anything with one punch, and the Lady of Pain cannot be beaten.

For those unfamiliar with the Lady, she's essentially the be-all end-all of the Planescape setting, most famous around these parts for Planescape: Torment. Planescape is a sort of weird setting that connects all the various D&D worlds together into one weird mega high level playground. It's the place the DM sends your Forgotten Realms adventurers when they've reached max level and the best gear, it's the gas station between other places where D&D gods and immortals and ultra high level adventurers and all other sorts of oddities all bump into one another while usually traveling to other places. It's also only a short skip and a hop to the various Heavens and Hells of D&D, plural because there are different dimensions and realities and whatnot, yet Sigil, Planescape's primary setting, is still closest insofar as anywhere can be close to an alternate dimension.

You'd think logically if such a place existed it would be complete and utter chaos, or that some evil warlord or deity would have taken it over as their beachhead to other places. It isn't, and the reason for that is the Lady of Pain; who doesn't so much rule the realm as she does own it. She doesn't talk or communicate in any way, she cannot be reasoned with, she cannot be stopped, and she strikes with absolute certainty. She's the ultimate plot device, the thing that the DM can use to put fear into those ultra level characters that have already toppled kingdoms and battled gods. No one really knows anything about her except that she owns Sigil completely and absolutely, and that she cannot be stopped.

So no, not even Saitama can beat the Lady of Pain because she can't be beaten. Hell the universe might risk imploding if he ever tried, except that the universe imploding would imply something happening to the Lady of Pain which is impossible, so in reality nothing would probably happen.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Isn't there a character in Marvel called Squirrel Girl whose whole shtick it is that she can beat anyone just cuz, and it's kind of used as sort of a joke, like Saitama? Didn't she once beat Thanos on her own? She'd seem like a good fit; Joke character vs. joke character.

Or maybe The Tick, since he's nigh invulnerable.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I have not read the manga and there only one episode it so far, I assume Mob from Mob Psycho 100 will be an competant contender? Mob is basically Saitana but on the mental field and it's done by the same creator. So in another word, it would be a mental vs physical power battle!

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Kenshiro.

Shortest DB ever no matter who wins, but the last one was a measly three minutes so I don't believe they care so much about length any more. One Minute Melee would be more suitable.

I keep suggesting Little Mac versus Rocky Balboa (with Doc Louis and Mickey Goldmill on the sidelines) to them, but if Mac can survive Champion mode (KO in one hit from anything, 3 KOs and you lose), his dodging skills might be able to match Saitama too.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Fox12 said:

Reading this type of comments is the best part of death battles.

In any case, it should be an opponent that fits thematically. Somebody who is, like OP-man, meant to be completely and unreasonably overpowered, preferably a melee combatant of some sort. Chuck Norris might work but he already was in a death battle. It also needs to be somebody who has instakill moves to throw around as easily as one punch man who can one-punch anyone.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Pseudonym said:
Fox12 said:

In any case, it should be an opponent that fits thematically. Somebody who is, like OP-man, meant to be completely and unreasonably overpowered, preferably a melee combatant of some sort. Chuck Norris might work but he already was in a death battle. It also needs to be somebody who has instakill moves to throw around as easily as one punch man who can one-punch anyone.
I'm gonna dig a bit in to the comic book well here: Midnighter.

He's not an instakill kinda guy so much, but his gimmick is largely that he's Batman but with a computer in his brain that lets him actively see every variation of a fight before it happens.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
It doesn't matter who he fights. He would win and then complain that the fight was too easy. That's sort of the joke of the character. He's so ridiculously OP that he makes OP characters look weak. Case in point, that final punch of his in the series wasn't even full strength.

Casual Shinji said:
Isn't there a character in Marvel called Squirrel Girl whose whole shtick it is that she can beat anyone just cuz, and it's kind of used as sort of a joke, like Saitama? Didn't she once beat Thanos on her own? She'd seem like a good fit; Joke character vs. joke character.

On the other hand, this could work. However, I don't know if you can really have an answer to that Death Battle. The joke of Saitama is that he is too strong to be beat. Squirrel Girl's joke seems to be that she beats insanely strong people despite being Squirrel Girl.

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
Pseudonym said:
Fox12 said:

He's not an instakill kinda guy so much, but his gimmick is largely that he's Batman but with a computer in his brain that lets him actively see every variation of a fight before it happens.
And Midnighter's friend Apollo who is even stronger, once got vaporized by a stressed out Captain Atom.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Dirkie said:
shrekfan246 said:
Pseudonym said:
Fox12 said:

And Midnighter's friend Apollo who is even stronger, once got vaporized by a stressed out Captain Atom.
I do wonder why Captain Atom has been a second- or even third-stringer for so long. He's basically nuclear Superman, but then I guess that might also be the answer. Still, you'd think the character that inspired Dr. Manhattan would get higher billing.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Casual Shinji said:

I second Squirrel Girl or at least ship them