Idris Elba & Matthew McConaughey Officially Join The Dark Tower

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
Would it be controversial to suggest they just flip it all up and cast Charlize Theron/ Michael B Jordan as Susanah and Eddy?

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I love The Dark Tower as a teenager, though it has been quite a while since I've read the series. The "starting in the middle" thing sounds suspect, and I really don't think Stephen King has the chops to partially control a movie production. I have always figured that they HAD to do an extensive rewrite. Tower was always going to be hard due to its very eclectic and genre-changing nature. Part of me doubts it will be like any of the movies or stories I had planned in my head, but that might not be a horrible thing. Or it might be an embarrassment and damage the series.

As for Idris Elba, I love him. I'm not sure what direction the rewrites have planned, but any rewrite that gives that man the chance to play The Gunslinger is fine by me. As for the Lincoln Spokesperson, I could see his voice being the MiB's. I guess we'll just see there.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Happyninja42 said:
SirSullymore said:
Neat, wonder if Elba can/will do a Southern accent.
Did the Gunslinger have a southern accent? It's been yeeeeaars since I read those books, but I don't recall him having a southern accent. I don't recall him being described as having an accent at all, or at least not one from Earth.
His accent is never described, but he can't pronounce common English words like "hoagie" or "aspirin," and I'm pretty sure I remember him stumbling over the word "sandwich" (I think it comes out "sanditch"). The people of the Callas have their accent inspired by Maine, because of course they do, so I figure Mr. Elba will be permitted to make something up, since he'll be speaking at least one made-up language we don't have the words for anyway.

hentropy said:
As for the Lincoln Spokesperson, I could see his voice being the MiB's. I guess we'll just see there.
I always kind of pictured Walter as the Joker on a mostly mellow high from marijuana. He'll still do horrible things to you and giggle while he does them, but more passively than if he was sober.

I can see Matthew McConaughey playing a stoned Joker.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
The Hungry Samurai said:
Would it be controversial to suggest they just flip it all up and cast Charlize Theron/ Michael B Jordan as Susannah and Eddy?
I'll watch anything with Charlize Theron in it, but oh god, to imagine how a white woman from South Africa must feel on set spewing racial epithets at black actors.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
Wintermute said:
I don't care who plays who, but ...what's a "ka-tet?" I never read these books obviously.
It means "one from many." In the book, it refers almost exclusively to a group of gunslingers bound together in a nuclear family, united by common purpose.