If i didn't like Mass effect do you think i will like Dragon age?

Garphen

Jun 26, 2008
Hello, from what I have seen a lot of people around here like mass effect, so I thought I would ask this question for any of you bioware fans.

Do you think i will like Dragon age: Origins, even though i did not enjoy Mass effect?
How close do you think the gameplay will be between the two?

If you need to know, and I can imagine you do for your opinion, the reasons I didn't like mass effect were:

-The storyline felt really slow to me and hard to get into.
-The combat was iffy.
-I am not really a fan of space, future games.

But, i do love games like oblivion, and mideval games in general and i have to say the character creator looks really sweet, it beats most of the ones i have seen if not all of them.

So i leave you with that, what is your opinion, do you think theres a chance of me liking Dragon age: Origins?

Oh and yay for first thread.

ma55ter_fett

Oct 6, 2009
congrats on first thread,

dragon age vs mass effect,

If you are really on the edge over buying this or not THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH RENTAL, rent the game and try it out.

Personally I will be renting this title and then maybe in the future when it goes down in price, I might buy it.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Dragon Age: Origins is more like a follow up to Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate than Mass Effect. I don't expect that it will have any relation to Mass Effect stylistically or in the skill system, so that wouldn't be the primary comparison I would make. If you liked Neverwinter Nights, I would certainly give DA:O a look.

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
What about Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic? From what I've seen, Dragon Age's combat seems reminiscent of that game. I obviously can't say much about the story, as I don't know it.

Jul 9, 2008
Garphen said:
Hello, from what I have seen a lot of people around here like mass effect, so I thought I would ask this question for any of you bioware fans.

Do you think i will like Dragon age: Origins, even though i did not enjoy Mass effect?

If you need to know, and I can imagine you do for your opinion, the reasons I didn't like mass effect were:

-The combat was iffy.

But, i do love games like oblivion, and mideval games in general and i have to say the character creator looks really sweet, it beats most of the ones i have seen if not all of them.

So i leave you with that, what is your opinion, do you think theres a chance of me liking Dragon age: Origins?

The one I emboldened is the only one I can see causing a problem with this. If you thought the story was slow, it's very likely you won't like this one's as well, as Bioware's pacing tends to be fairly similar. Out of curiosity, have you played any other Bioware games, like KotOR?

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
I don't think so. There's still going to be that emphasis on conversation, plus the combat is more strategy-based, so it's probably going to be a tad slow. You could give it a rent, but I wouldn't recommend you buying it outright.

Garphen

Jun 26, 2008
orannis62 said:
Garphen said:

-The combat was iffy.

The one I emboldened is the only one I can see causing a problem with this. If you thought the story was slow, it's very likely you won't like this one's as well, as Bioware's pacing tends to be fairly similar. Out of curiosity, have you played any other Bioware games, like KotOR?
No sadly, i have heard good things about it but i didn't play it, Plus i don't mind if the story unfolds slowly, as long as the gameplay can keep me intrested long enough to love playing untill the storyline catchs my intrest.

ma55ter_fett said:
congrats on first thread,

dragon age vs mass effect,

If you are really on the edge over buying this or not THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH RENTAL, rent the game and try it out.

Personally I will be renting this title and then maybe in the future when it goes down in price, I might buy it.
Yes i know nothing is wrong with rentals, but it is getting to christmas season and if i deem the game worthy i will get it for christmas, If this is the case i don't want to rent it because i would want to get surprised by its greatness on christmas rather than rent it and get it for christmas later, If that makes any scense.

Edit: Im using this for help if i decide to get this for christmas, if you all think i woulden't like it i will most likely rent it as it has got my intrest enough to me to ask about it atleast.

Jan 23, 2009
Did you like diablo, or Baldurs gate, neverwinter nights or Icewind dale?
If yes: then you will enjoy Dragon Age.

If you havent played any of the above games, then GO BUY BALDURS GATE 1 AND 2!

Dragon age is going to me more hand-holding than oblivion I'd expect, but I presume it wont be as linear as Mass Effect, different sections of the studios etc.

Garphen

Jun 26, 2008
Sneaklemming said:

Dragon age is going to me more hand-holding than oblivion I'd expect, but I presume it wont be as linear as Mass Effect, different sections of the studios etc.
Yes i like diablo, the others i have not played, and thats another question i would like to know, is this a linear game? or a giant sandbox like oblivion? this will also be another deciding factor.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Garphen said:
Yes i like diablo, the others i have not played, and thats another question i would like to know, is this a linear game? or a giant sandbox like oblivion? this will also be another deciding factor.
Considering BioWare's track record, I suspect the storylines for the different characters will be fairly linear. But there's nothing wrong with linearity in gaming, so don't let that be the straw that breaks this camel's back.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Most likely it will be really close to the level of KotOR or Baldur's Gate. Also, it's Bioware, for crying out loud. Their RPGs are masterpieces, especially the DnD ones.

Garphen

Jun 26, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Garphen said:
Considering BioWare's track record, I suspect the storylines for the different characters will be fairly linear. But there's nothing wrong with linearity in gaming, so don't let that be the straw that breaks this camel's back.
When im asking about linear gameplay i mean can i go and freerome around the entire map seamlessly like in oblivion? or will it be a liniear set mission after mission? or i can freerome but i will have loads apon loads of loading screens?

Abedeus said:
Most likely it will be really close to the level of KotOR or Baldur's Gate. Also, it's Bioware, for crying out loud. Their RPGs are masterpieces, especially the DnD ones.
Well i obviously do not like mass effect at all, this is why i am so caucious as games from the same company most of the time take traits from there other games into there next ones.

ryai458

Oct 20, 2008
mass effect and dragon age are very different I would rent it then if you like it buy it if not well you spent 5$ instead of 60$.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Garphen said:
Well i obviously do not like mass effect at all, this is why i am so caucious as games from the same company most of the time take traits from there other games into there next ones.
Not really. Starcraft is different from Warcraft 3 (or World of Warcraft) and both are different from Diablo. Same with Bioware - Neverwinter Nights is different than Jade Empire, and Jade Empire is different from Mass Effect.

I think that the only Bioware games that are sort of like Dragon Age is the Neverwinter Nights series and Baldur's Gate. And that's only because of the similar settings (warriors, magic and fantasy).

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Garphen said:
When im asking about linear gameplay i mean can i go and freerome around the entire map seamlessly like in oblivion? or will it be a liniear set mission after mission? or i can freerome but i will have loads apon loads of loading screens?
You'll likely have a map, with Point X being where you need to go to advance the plot. Side quests will be available at points A, B and C but you are under no obligation to go there. It won't be strictly on rails like Silent Hill 2, nor will it have the completely open-world "Go nuts" sandbox style of game.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Garphen said:

-The combat was iffy.

Dragon Age gameplay is more akin to Neverwinter Nights, from what I've seen, although they've replaced the D&D ruleset with what seems like a simpler, easier to use set of rules.

Here is a video from the Giant Bomb crew which features ingame view of the gameplay: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dragon-age-origins-360/17-1528/

Garphen

Jun 26, 2008
Abedeus said:
Garphen said:
Not really. Starcraft is different from Warcraft 3 (or World of Warcraft) and both are different from Diablo. Same with Bioware - Neverwinter Nights is different than Jade Empire, and Jade Empire is different from Mass Effect.

I think that the only Bioware games that are sort of like Dragon Age is the Neverwinter Nights series and Baldur's Gate. And that's only because of the similar settings (warriors, magic and fantasy).
Well that IS true, saying this has made me think this could be really fun to me after all.

BlueInkAlchemist said:
Garphen said:
You'll likely have a map, with Point X being where you need to go to advance the plot. Side quests will be available at points A, B and C but you are under no obligation to go there. It won't be strictly on rails like Silent Hill 2, nor will it have the completely open-world "Go nuts" sandbox style of game.
A bit dissapointed by this but that wont break it, but what your saying is it wont be giant open world go exploring oblivion or fallout 3, but it wont be halo 3 linear?

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
Well, it's kind of har to compare the two games, you know, with them being so bloody different. Take a look at all the footage and articles out about Dragon Age: Origins, and if you like the look of it, buy it.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Garphen said:
Sneaklemming said:

From what dev's have said on the Dragon Age forums, they mentioned that the first few hours are pretty linear. You get a couple hours for your Origin story and then a few other things. Then after that the world is free to explore, choose what quest's, side-quests what-ever, kill. But there are loading screen's between area's so it's not like Fallout/Oblivion free-roam.