"If I get tired of hearing about the game, I won't play it."

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Recently I heard someone say that they've been looking forward to a certain unreleased game for so long (4 years) that they have gotten burned out on it. They said that when the game finally comes out they will not play it, no matter how good it is, just because they've been waiting for so long. They seemed to think that this was a common way of thinking among gamers, but I've never heard of it before. So it made me curious.

Have any of you ever felt like refusing to play a game because you spent so much time thinking about it before it was released? If so, did you actually carry through and refuse to purchase it when it finally came out?

I'm not talking about games that you had neutral or negative feelings toward before they came out, I mean ones that you were truly looking forward to.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Happened to me more times I can keep track of, since PS2's era.

Can't really think why. But sometimes you just get fed up and you'll only be able to enjoy the game after a while.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
By looking at the title, I thought you meant other people saying "You should totally play this game!", which could easily be applied to other media e.g. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. (Which, by the way, you should totally go watch. But I won't criticise you if you don't... It really is your decision, despite what some more hyperactive fans might tell you.)

Based on the actual body text, though (just official hype on its own without excessive word-of-mouth), I've never had anything like that happen to me. Most of the stuff I'm hyped for is at least good, and the stuff I go as far as to pre-order tends to be 18-carat (if not more) gold.

MadPetOwner

Jun 19, 2010
Never happened to me with games actually, but the I always try as hard as I can to not watch and trailers or such from a game I'm anticipating. I like the thrill of not knowing.

It has however happened with a lot of books I'm waiting for. Books takes at least a year, often two to be completed. And after two years I often find myself not caring about it anymore. Which is sad really.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Well I looked forward to Stronghold 3, so before I went to buy it I looked up the forums. I got tired of hearing terrible things about it so I decided not to buy it, but that had more to do with the game not being ready for release for another 2 years at least, and even then being inferior compared to the previous titles.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Never heard of that before. I have heard of people refusing to play a game because they didn't like it but the fanbase went crazy at them so they were all like 'fuck dat shit, yo'.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
I understand why, but I think it's silly. If you're looking forward to something just get it even if it takes a long time.

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Very nearly happened to me with Starcraft 2. Mostly because in the meantime I graduated school and wasn't playing any multiplayer games with my friends anymore. It's a lot tougher to get motivated for those big LAN parties when everyone is spread across the country with their own schedules.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
That's certainly a new one on me. I do remember, however, really looking forward to Devil May Cry 3 and then completely forgot about it for absolutely no reason. The special edition arrived and I picked it up though. Was worth the wait.

Tufty94

Jul 31, 2011
ElektroNeko said:
This is how many people seem to think about My Little Pony...
Actually, I think many people just don't like it because they're 20+ and a cartoon show about talking ponies marketed to kids just doesn't interest them.

On topic: If I usually spend a lot of time thinking or talking about a game before it's release it's because I'm excited for it. I don't even know how stupid you'd have be to be to miss out on a game that's interested you because you, or other people, have spoken too much about it.