if it weren't illegal

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Smoke me a joint!

I'm sure that'd ease the amount of pain I'm in right now!

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
Simple stop paying all the ever, abusives taxes we have here... Quebec is the most taxed place in North America... and really it's not worth it

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I would probably grow some really awesome strains of pot and share it with whoever wanted. I'd also do a bit more DIY genetic modification at home, I think there are a whole load of rules & regulations against that at the minute that I don't particularly want to go through.

Branovices

Oct 15, 2008
I'd marry my boyfriend I've been with for over 11 years. Michigan bans gay marriage, civil unions, or essentially any kind of recognition of a same-sex relationship. The law is apparently being challenged in courts but it'll be a long time before anything comes of it.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
I'm not sure about the proper facts, but Cracked ran an article once where they wrote about an experiment, or something, that was made where they removed all speed limits in a larger area and let people drive however fast/slow they wanted. The results were(apparently) much better than expected. People didn't go blazing at 100 km/h in 30 km/h zones just because they could. Traffic injuries and car crash statistics stayed the same.

I'd also go out and destroy all speed bumps. Those fuckers are bad for the envieroment and slows down emergancy traffic.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
What would I do if it weren't illegal? One word: Batman. Batcave, Batmobile, even the shark-repellent bat-spray. The entire shebang.

Xyebane

Disembodied Floating Skull
Feb 28, 2009
I wish there wasn't so much red tape when it came to GMOs. If it's not dangerous i should be able to do it without having to have permission from 3 government departments and work in a bio-safety containment level 3 facility just to clone one non-virulent gene.

Maybe there is a reason these laws exist though, cause I'm not sure the whole world trusts my judgment on what is safe.

Bug MuIdoon

Mar 28, 2013
Take a huge shit on my old bosses desk.

Grow myself a lot of certain plants, mushrooms and cacti. I'd also have copious amounts of other powders and liquids that are strictly a no-no.

Traveling without the need for VISAs and other such crap would be great too.

Oh, and more walking around completely nud.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Drummodino said:
I wouldn't mind being able to drink in public. I wouldn't go around drunk with a bottle of Jim Beam in hand mind you, but it would be nice to be able to have a beer on a park bench when I take my dogs for a run around.
Might if i ask were that's illegal? Sounds like a pretty silly law to me. I don't see any way how that would benefit anyone ever. With that dollar purchasing thing i can at least see how that benefits the government, but this i just cannot grasp.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Amaror said:
Drummodino said:
I wouldn't mind being able to drink in public. I wouldn't go around drunk with a bottle of Jim Beam in hand mind you, but it would be nice to be able to have a beer on a park bench when I take my dogs for a run around.
Might if i ask were that's illegal? Sounds like a pretty silly law to me. I don't see any way how that would benefit anyone ever. With that dollar purchasing thing i can at least see how that benefits the government, but this i just cannot grasp.
Australia. I can understand why we have the law, we have quite a large binge drinking culture over here. It gives the police the power to take alcohol away from drunks at public events and keep drinking contained within pubs and clubs.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Aside from not buying a train ticket and not paying taxes, stealing things occasionally, parking in zones that are no parking for no good reason and speeding to a relatively small degree, the main thing would probably be I'd take up graffiti. I've always liked the colourful, artistic graffiti (not the tags scratched into a train door with a metal ruler, they can fuck off), and then the government has to come along with a shade of brown that isn't even the colour of the wall originally and put a big rectangle over it. Fuck that. Looked much nicer with than without.

Actually...I'd probably beat people up too. Not for money or that sort of thing. Just because I don't like them. I've often seen people act like assholes, but not do anything wrong particularly, and wanted to give them a good punch just for being the people they are. I'm talking mainly most Lebanese teenagers and one person with the number plate "WNA-BME". Sorry Lebanese people, that's just how it happens to be. Your adolescent sons are pricks.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Capture the Kardashians, Paris Hilton, Bieber, pretty much every reality show "star", Stodden, and so on; I'd round them up, cage them on an island like Jurassic Park, and turn it into a zoo exhibit.

That or have them refined into an all purpose slurry, possibly to feed animals or as filler for asphalt.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
Amaror said:
Drummodino said:
Here in the UK councils can define 'alcohol free areas', inside which it's illegal to have open alcohol. The police can confiscate on sight and (I think) issue fines.
They were brought in to allow councils to do something about drunken anti-social behaviour in public parks and the like, which I can kind of understand. Why they can't just arrest such people for being drunk and disorderly, or for public order offences, I don't know.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Binnsyboy said:
To quote Jim Jefferies: "That's fucken bullshit."

Ridiculous that a country essentially forces you to illegal means to enjoy the same luxuries as the rest of the world. Is there a reason they're so obsessed with keeping the Peso despite its fragility?
Argentina's government runs in cycles. A populist demagogue gets elected on the back of promising everyone, better pensions, earlier retirement, higher unemployment benefits, higher wages and more holidays. This works for a while but the national economy does not produce enough money to pay for it all. No one will lend money to Argentina because the country is a basket case, so to pay the bills the government prints money. This drives up inflation, which the government tries to hide by fixing the currency artificially high. Admittedly things have improved in Argentina, the bust used to be followed by a military coup and a deeply unpleasant fascist military dictatorship. The last bust, under Carlos Menem, was the first time since 1916 that power had transferred peacefully to the opposition.

It a great shame because Argentina has great potential and was running on a parallel track to the US to being world power until the early 20th century, when the government became unstable and started this cycle of bankruptcy. What is disappointing, after being a democracy continuously since 1983 the public have not learned the lesson that there isn't a magic money tree and there is limit on how much the government can spend.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Drummodino said:
Got the same thing here in Sweden, but no one really cares. If the police show up they can take the alcohol from you, however if you're not disorderly and don't make a mess they usually let you be.

Amaror said:
It benefits those who aren't drinking and the streets/parks from littering. At least here I believe it's to have a nicer envieroment in the many public parks we got. The pubs here also require certain licensing to let customers drink outside their door(while out smoking or if they have an out-door area).

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
OneCatch said:
Here in the UK councils can define 'alcohol free areas', inside which it's illegal to have open alcohol. The police can confiscate on sight and (I think) issue fines.
They were brought in to allow councils to do something about drunken anti-social behaviour in public parks and the like, which I can kind of understand. Why they can't just arrest such people for being drunk and disorderly, or for public order offences, I don't know.

I live in a city of 80,000 without a permanently manned police station. The police patrol once or twice a day around the town centre areas and when they come through the crusties are not necessarily drunk yet. So rather than come back when they are drunk and swearing at tourist it's cheaper and easier to take the booze off them before the problem occurs.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Binnsyboy said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
DementedSheep said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Buying dollars. No, really. It's illegal in Argentina. I wish it wasn't.
Is there a particular reason why that is illegal?
It's an inflation thing. The government is deeply corrupt and constantly lies in order to withhold the depreciation of the peso. To keep that lie up, they freeze currency rates at nearly 50% of the actual value, including the dollar - dollars being particularly aggravating because you need those for travel, real estate, international transactions, etc. This has resulted in the birth of a black market that operates with "blue dollars", code name for the proper dollar rate. Meanwhile the government has established a Big Bro style system wherein you can purchase dollars at half their value... by providing them your tax ID number and informing them how, when and why you'll spend your money.

On a side note, this affects importing. The country stops importing stuff because it's impossible to keep up with the numbers. Computers, Apple products, games, etc. just to name the ones that concern me. You're pretty much forced to smuggle stuff from neighboring countries. That's how I acquired my PS3, my iPod and my videocamera, for example.

So the options are to either legally purchase dollars at half their value (resulting in a huge loss) or illegally purchasing blue dollars. And I wish it weren't illegal.
To quote Jim Jefferies: "That's fucken bullshit."

Ridiculous that a country essentially forces you to illegal means to enjoy the same luxuries as the rest of the world. Is there a reason they're so obsessed with keeping the Peso despite its fragility?
Like boo said, the government prints its own money (the VP has been under investigation on that charge since forever; the president has been forced to file tax declarations, etc), drives up the inflation and tries to hide it, poorly. National Index of Statistics claims a person can eat a full meal for 6 pesos, for example. That's like $0,60 cents of a dollar. It's also bullshit.

Zenkem

May 3, 2009
Public nudity and public sex.

Drive cars those wouldn't pass vehicle inspection. It shouldn't be anyone elses problem if my car has a hole in the floor.

Drugs, the kind that are illegal only because of politics.

Build a house and light it with light bulbs. Finland has notoriously strict bureaucracy about what you can do on your own land, and good old lightbulbs have been lobbied out by mercury industry. Maybe I'd even sweep my own chimney instead of paying the law-appointed cartel!

And most of all, vigilantism. The silky hands of law are so tied that even violent repeat offenders get slap on the wrist punishments. Mob justice is a dangerous thing, but when someone already HAS been found guilty by proper justices, someone needs to do the actual punishing.