If mutants became real, which side would you be on?

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
I like to think I would be one...

No? oh ok

Mutants are the future. I'd be like Mr Sinister and would try and become a mutant myself. Mutants are still human but with powers! fuck having no powers.

(Me)

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I think we would need a register and prehaps the government should make more mutant schools like Xavier's, less emphasis on combat more on control mind you. Plus regular counselling sessions to weed out sociopaths who could go on epic murder sprees.

It could get nazilike real fast and would have to be watched closely for extremists but you can't just ignore the issue and hope nobody uses their powers for evil or worse has an accident like rogue.

I remember somebody in one of the Xmen movies mentioning a kid who killed everyone in his school class by creating a vacuum in the building and suffocating them. You can't just let those things happen.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
I tend to look at things with an eye towards the objective, long-term good for people in general, and by that metric, backing mutants in some form or another is probably the right play - yes, you get destructive and ethically problematic powers, but those are a problem for everyone, mutants included, so a joint regulatory commission primarily composed of mutants would probably be the right thing to do there - heck, the abilities that mutants have probably make them the most qualified for policing mutants. And of course, the advances you'd get both in terms of general science and making humanity healthier and more capable biologically are major long-term benefits that I think probably justify a certain degree of risk.

The problem comes if you get a predominant superiority movement among mutants, because the kind of results you get from two cultural groups clashing doesn't really benefit anyone - but the alternative to tolerating that risk is to create the very same problem with non-mutants as the oppressors, so better to work for peace and cooperation.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
Well, having recently watched Shinsekai Yori, I feel I'd be rather firmly anti-mutant. Then again in a situation like that non-mutants' opinions would be largely irrelevant.

If things are a bit tamer, however, I'd be pro-mutant. I mean, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Naqel

Nov 21, 2009
I would be pro-registration.

Given how some of the powers might be dangerous to others, it'd probably be best to keep an eye on those who posses them.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Somewhere in between. It's sort like the mages from Dragon Age. I mean, yeah, they're people and they don't deserved to be carroled or executed like animals... but at the same time, when you've got the power to blow people up or send them into horrific nightmares with nothing but the power of your mind, there's got to be some restrictions on that. Like, yeah, you didn't choose to be born with powers and it might suck that you are, but we can't sacrifice everyone's safety and wellbeing for the happiness of a few people, to say nothing of those who would intentionally misuse their powers.

It's a balancing act, really. You can't go too far to one side or the other.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
I would advocate a system in which mutants were offered special training to help them gain control of their powers but were not forced in to taking advantage of it. However I would want it to be a "Heck why *not* take advantage of special training, possibly fantastic job placement" sort of system.
I would also advocate harsher penalties for crimes in which a mutant power/ability was used, much the same as there are harsher penalties for using deadly weapons in a crime.
Finally I would advocate creating a social environment that encouraged law-abiding mutants who were not welcome elsewhere to move to my country. After all, it would help make us so much safer from external threats and natural disasters.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I'd want them to be registered/tracked by the government, for the same reason I'd like gun owners to be registered.
I don't think leading a witch-hunt is necessary though.

TristanBelmont

Nov 29, 2013
Well, MovieBob already did a thing on this so I'll reiterate my stance from that: I would go with Magneto. Otherwise known as Team "Time-For-Revenge-Mofos".

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I wouldnt take any side

I would see the need for the regulation because...I mean shit people have dangerous powers..mix that with possible opression and "expectations" (being told all their life they are bad, so they act bad)

thats why support programs and fostering acceptance and allowing them to understand their own capabilites and the responsibilites involved would be vital

this is why I don't like X-men plots....I can't get behined the idea of "me" being special therefore its just one big exercise in feeling uncomfortable

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
I'll be on whichever side that's okay with "kill all humans".

If apes were the dominate specie on earth and then human just came about, you don't think humans would kill all apes?

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
If they were real, I'd be with SHIELD/SWORD and on the flip-side universe, Cadmus (in the government research versions of it) -- people with powers to undermine military force, remotely influence the decision making of government leaders and carrying out vigilante warfare, while entertaining in fiction, would be an unacceptable risk to government and societal (not to mention international geopolitical) stability.

Spiridion

Oct 17, 2011
I would most likely be pro-mutant or neutral. Not sure which since you haven't qualified exactly what stance either of these would indicate. As far as I'm concerned, mutants are just another type of people. If an individual mutant deliberately harms or threaten others then obviously steps should be taken to prevent them from further endangering people. Other than that... every person has the potential to do all sorts of harm, but we don't monitor or imprison people because of what they might do (yet). Plus, I don't really think it's a good idea to make people with superpowers feel like their backs are against the wall, since that tends to be where widespread, organized violence comes from. Easier to deal with a few bad apples than a large group of people made to feel oppressed that can throw fireballs around.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
GamerMage said:
Ooh, you're one of "those" people, aren't you? One of those who would probably hunt down conduits (Excuse me, Mutants)just because they MIGHT become villains in the future? You're not even going to give them a chance to prove you or other people otherwise? What would you do if someone in your family or one of your friends were Mutants? (Have you played Infamous: Second Son? The Conduit situation is mostly similar.) Would you just turn them into the police? Kind of using the slippery slope argument, good sir. Do you really believe the ends justify the means? That hunting somebody down just because of what they are, instead of what they've done, or who they are is a good idea? You're seriously typing that you would hunt and try to expose, or at worst, KILL someone even if they have not done anything wrong or aren't harming anyone else? Just like those Lifeline (Anti-Conduit group) nutjobs from Infamous: Second Son Paper Trail? Seriously? >=\ Before I go, here's a quote I thought was very appropriate, generals3: "He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ? Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

I would want to help others, but to answer the OP's question: Pro-Mutant, but I'd want to take down anyone that harmed others or my family and friends for no good reason. I'd at least give them a chance before making my judgement.
Those are tough questions indeed. And those are questions which cannot really be answered until confronted with the situation. Maybe i'd have the strength to turn them in maybe not.

I believe the end justify the means if the end if the end itself is sufficiently good. Wouldn't you kill someone if it would save the world? Two persons? Three? ...

I also think you fail to grasp the full of extent of how much damage these mutants could cause.(probably because in this type of stories they always want to portray the "mutants" as the poor victims of the needlessly cruel bad humans) (even the good ones, because if you think only bad people do things they regret...)

"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." => I would become that monster so that others don't have to.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
JoJo said:
I'd judge each mutant by his or her actions, it's only fair that way and besides, trying to oppress a group of people who could hide effortlessly among the regular population and have great destructive potential if they use their powers for evil doesn't sound like a smart idea.
Isn't that pretty much just "pro mutant" then? I mean, criminal acts are still criminal acts whether they're human or metahuman.

I mean, the X-Men dichotomy tends to be "mutants are people, too" versus "die, mutie scum!"

Which is why I'd be on the "pro mutant" side.