If Physical Problems Were Handled Like Mental Problems

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
So, get this: I'm on Very Demotivational and I happen across this image:

I found it amusing on top of being a good thread idea. So how would other injuries and diseases be handled as though they were mental problems? I look forward to seeing what comes up.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
If paralysis was treated as people with Aspergers or Autism are often treated... 'You're just pretending you can't walk because you want attention, or are too lazy to bother walking, or because your parents spoilt you and never gave you the opportunity to learn to walk.'

Esotera

May 5, 2011
The main ones I can think of:

"Sorry, there's an 18-month waiting period for the child physical health services, so you can either go to the adult physical health service or not get anything"

"That guy has a broken leg, he's so weird"

And of course, we would have a lot of horror films where the killer is an irate flu victim.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
A character in a story has no legs but after a long adventure and the love of a good person they grow back forever and ever.

yuz

Dec 13, 2013
'Okay, I get it, you're blind. But I just think if you opened your eyes a little wider you'd see something!'

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Esotera said:
And of course, we would have a lot of horror films where the killer is an irate flu victim.
We do, they're "zombie" movies (zombie in quotes because they aren't undead, just infected with some kind of virus, or in the case of the Left 4 Dead games, the "green flu").

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
yuz said:
'Okay, I get it, you're blind. But I just think if you opened your eyes a little wider you'd see something!'
Wow, that was both funny and a sure way to get a blind person into a rage, so I think you have the lead here for best so far.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
You have schizophrenia? Be a man and walk it off.

...what? That's the advice I get when I have a physical problem.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
I'm firmly of the belief that walking it off is a valid solution to all of life's problems. Bleeding gash on your arm? Walk it off. Dislocated shoulder? Walk it off. Stab wound? Walk it off. Concussion? Walk it off. Broken leg? Definitely walk that one off.

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
JoJo said:
If paralysis was treated as people with Aspergers or Autism are often treated... 'You're just pretending you can't walk because you want attention, or are too lazy to bother walking, or because your parents spoilt you and never gave you the opportunity to learn to walk.'
Heh, there are actually people out there who do say things like that - "You just need to go gluten-free/think positive thoughts/find Jesus and you'll be walking again in no time!".

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
"I know your knee isn't supposed to bend that way, but you could at least try to walk rather than being an attention whore"

smithy_2045 said:
I Broken leg? Definitely walk that one off.
Does this count as being ninja'd? I really dont know :D

Doctor Teatime

Dec 2, 2013
cojo965 said:

I found it amusing on top of being a good thread idea. So how would other injuries and diseases be handled as though they were mental problems? I look forward to seeing what comes up.
Just thought I'd mention that some disrespectful douche apparently removed the artist's credits from that image before posting it.
It's originally from the web comic Robot Hugs [http://www.robot-hugs.com/helpful-advice/].

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
So your child was born without legs?
Don't worry they're just a little slow, they'll grow out of it.

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Doctor Teatime said:
cojo965 said:

Just thought I'd mention that some disrespectful douche apparently removed the artist's credits from that image before posting it.
It's originally from the web comic Robot Hugs [http://www.robot-hugs.com/helpful-advice/].
Thank you, I didn't know that, I was just browsing Very Demotivational when I happened across it. I had no idea it was already second hand.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Obligatory: "You used to be an adventurer. Take these pills and that hallucinatory arrow to the knee nonsense will go away so you can get back to work. Also, I recommend you lay on a couch once a month to talk to a therapist about how that arrow to the knee makes you feel. You'll likely be on these pills the rest of your life. Don't worry about the side effects or that nagging pain where you 'think' an arrow was taken to your knee. Its just trauma from your mom taking away your security blanket."

Yeahhhh.....

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Find someone with a gunshot wound?
"Everyone has it, it's no big deal."

Have a punctured lung?
"I chose not to have a punctured lung and got over it."

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
DkLnBr said:
"I know your knee isn't supposed to bend that way, but you could at least try to walk rather than being an attention whore"

smithy_2045 said:
I Broken leg? Definitely walk that one off.
Does this count as being ninja'd? I really dont know :D
I'd say it's probably being ninja'd by a ninja with a broken leg, since there was a solid 6 hours between the two posts.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I live in the US...as far as I know, people "treat" mental problems with drugs...lots and, lots of drugs...as far as I know, physical ailments and, maladies are also cured using lots and lots of drugs.
OH! I get it now!!

---

I can't help but notice you've been flung from your car...but like...have you ever stopped to consider the fact that there are tons of people who would give anything to even have a car?

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
"Have you ever thought that maybe you are deaf because YOU HAVE LOW SELF ESTEEM? YOU SHOULDN'T BE SO OBSESSED ABOUT BAD THINGS ABOUT YOURSELF, BUT LISTEN MORE TO GOOD THINGS PEOPLE TELL ABOUT YOU
Oh, right."
[scribbles a note]