If the "average age" of today's gamer is mid-thrities, how come....

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
I tried online gaming, found most communities ti be worst elements described within this thread. Try having a reasonable discussion and it is drowned out by one or two angry children swearing constantly. I game often to relax after long day of work, so I have not been online in years, when psn went out I did not really notice.

Gnoya

Mar 28, 2009
40 years old here.. we have a huge gaming community. We have Jobs kids etc..

We all are about 30-55ish in my kinship in Lotro, my D2 people are all 30+.
Do we play with anyone under that average age? Yes.. they are our kids that have grown up with us playing games and are now young adults..

We and I play many single player games but also have many multiplayer or mmo type games in our agendas.

In general we tend to stay away from the younger generations. On average they tend to be loud, arrogent, rude and crude for no reason other than being rude and crude I dont want to feel like i have to deal with children online when i have my own to deal with. This is my escape. ( and yes there are some adults that need to learn to be adults as well)

But the experiences kinda speak from themselves, and are often game/genre dependant. I will NEVER play FPS with random people since they are by far the worst buch of asshats I have ever seen. We only do that within a group of known people. No type game seems to bring out the dickhead, teabagging scum and villiany that FPS games do.. MMOS tend to be alot tamer.

OHH and a little edit. I also find that PC GAMERS are alot nicer and more acceptable than Console gamers. Not sure why that is .. you can play the exact same game and find completely different sets of people..

TyrunnAlberyn

Apr 1, 2010
I'm nearly 30. Part of the problem is that while I consider myself a gamer, and I still play a fair amount of games, I've got a ton of other things going on outside of gaming that rather limit my time. When I do game, about 70% of the time is singleplayer, because I play for fun and relaxation, and not all people online are all that relaxing *smirk*. When I do play multiplayer, I'm usually using ventrilo or skype to chat with my teammates, rather than being on the games' voice chat.

Keldon888

Apr 25, 2009
People with any sort of maturity realize there's nothing to say in games 90% of the time so they don't talk, which leaves the raging (pre)teens in chat.

Unless you are in like counter strike where there's communities that build up in a server you will hear chit chat.

DesiPrinceX09

Mar 14, 2010
Really? I thought most gamers were in highschool or college age? That's what I see mostly. I am 19 and most gamers I know and meet are between ages 15-25, but of course there are several gamers in their 30's naturally; I just don't hear about them too often. When i think of a gamer, i honestly picture a person in the age range of 15-25 with 30-40 as the second highest age range for gamers.

krychek57

Some Random Dude
Apr 13, 2010
Tanakh said:
irwinemporium said:
I think the Peggle/Farmville crowd speaks for itself. That's obviously an older demographic. I was mainly referring to the Xbox Live/PSN crowd.
Humm, i know it will sound trollish and that people might disagree, but maybe switch to PC if you are looking for old farts? I have the impression that the average PC gamer is older, but it might just be because the console gamers i know are 24 yo kiddos and the PC gamers are my age or older.

Edit: Actually, thinking about it, WoW is a great place to meet old people. Go there, join a "serious raiding guild" and make 30's friends; i made 5-7 acquaintances that way, and two really close friends that i met that way, will go to the wedding of one of them soon :D
Not trollish. My Gaming Clan is 95% PC and most are well over 30.

We use private ventrillo and leave the public channels for the kids.
I also have been to the wedding of a clan mate.

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
irwinemporium said:
all I ever here in multi-player or co-op single-player are people that sound under the age of 15? I play a wide variety of games, from shooters to RTS, RPG's, etc. But I have yet to hear or talk to someone that sounds as old as myself (26). Where are all these thirty-somethings that supposedly make up the largest demographic of the gaming market?
If you are playing Halo or Gears, then the reason you usually wouldnt hear from me would be because I am in a party. We can strategize better, and we dont have to hear any lip from the nutty people. :)

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
either they dont have headsets in, you can hear them over the teens or they play singleplayer.

Ham Blitz

May 28, 2009
Not sure. In my experience it is mostly because I am in party chat with friends when playing games (Except cooperative ones), and when I'm not usually the players talking aren't pleasant to talk to. On a few occasions in the past year I have found people who talk about other things than how much the other players suck and how awesome they are. Those were fun times.

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
irwinemporium said:
Well, lets face it, gaming is marginalized, especially if you're in your 30's and up. It's just not socially acceptable. It's fine if you're teenager, but an adult...nah. By the time you're "of age" your interests should have grown beyond sitting slack-jawed on the couch playing useless games. Ya, they're fun (I still play games from time to time) but I do recognize the stigma attached. I'm not trying to pick a fight, just stating my opinion.
I think that really depends on who you are and how you carry yourself. I'm 39 years old and no one marginalizes me or has a problem with the fact that I game. This probably has to do with the fact that I'm a University Professor, so I get the assumption that what I do does not involve being slack-jawed.

As for where are the older gamers...what makes people think that in order to count as a gamer one has to be on XLive or PSN in spaces that you can hear us? I've been playing video games since Asteroids and I still play every week (barring moments when I have to do lots of grading). And I spend a lot of money on gaming. And I can do crazy weekends of gaming until 3am. But most of my gaming is single player. I'm looking forward to Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim...I've got a huge games library...I even have an XLive Gold account...but if I play online, I tend to play with my friends not random people. And when I was spending lots and lots of time in WoW...I made sure I was in an Adults Only Guild.

I'm gaming all the time and I *never* hang out online with people who are underage. That just seems like a recipe for disaster. And also, I don't game with people who are the age of my students. I hang out with people who are my age.

kayisking

Sep 14, 2010
JordanXlord said:
im 14...but i am not like those screaming idiots in CoD and Halo i am a mmo player and Roleplaying games like Dragon age and Mass effect.
Of course you're not, you're an escapee!

OT: I think they don't really use voice chat that much.

Telemachus

Dec 13, 2010
I'm 19, and I'm already sick of multiplayers games and 12 year-olds yelling words and grieving happening. single player games are just so much better. Nobody there to ruin your experience. :p

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I am 18, and I usually hear a mix of people when I am online. Some kids, some older people. The only game I usually hear mostly kids in is Left 4 Dead 2 on the 360. Usually unless I am playing with friends I don't keep my headset in. I am pretty sure a lot of people do the same thing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm on Live. Usually in party chat. I avoid the millions of fifteen year olds screaming racist and homophobic terms.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Well averages are tricky things. For every three 12 year old kids playing CoD and calling you whatever swear/racial slur they learned in school that day, there's 1 60 year old house wife playing Peggle. Then you mix in the rest of the upper age gradient and viola, you have the age of 30.

irwinemporium said:
Well, lets face it, gaming is marginalized, especially if you're in your 30's and up. It's just not socially acceptable. It's fine if you're teenager, but an adult...nah. By the time you're "of age" your interests should have grown beyond sitting slack-jawed on the couch playing useless games. Ya, they're fun (I still play games from time to time) but I do recognize the stigma attached. I'm not trying to pick a fight, just stating my opinion.
I find that statement odd considering the majority of the people who grew up in the NES generation are about to hit their 30s if they aren't there already. I really feel sorry for the people who have "grown out" of video games. You know they didn't do it of their own free will, they simply let the disapproving sneers of the previous generation beat them down. Didn't they teach us in school not to let peer pressure talk us into doing something we don't want to?

The stigma comes from people who are actually of sound mind and responsibility giving into that peer pressure; thinking that to be "serious adults" they must cast off all the pieces of their younger days. There's no actual part of your brain that suddenly stops enjoying video games once you hit 25+, you've allowed society to beat something you love out of you which no one should ever let happen. What we're left with is the fat, 30 year old, basement dwelling "nerd" stereotype because the people who are so terrified of being associated with them have fled rather than showed resolve in the face of adversity. We need to stop allowing this marginalization, not give in to it or else we'll always be considered this creepy, lazy sub-culture.

I'm also curious about what your interests change to when you're "of age?" Going to college? Clubbing? Finding a job? Finding your significant other? Sex? Starting a family? Playing canasta with the other old people? Are growing into a well rounded, responsible, human being and playing video games in your spare time mutually exclusive activities? In the grand scheme of the universe, are any of these activities more "useful" than the others? When we're all dust will the historians look back with utter disgust at those who spent Friday night raiding on WoW with their friends while those who were doing meth and having unprotected sex in the bathrooms at the dance club are immortalized in golden space-temples?

What makes playing a video game so much more "useless" than say bowling or going to a party? Do you get paid for those activities, do you gain some status in society? Possibly, but probably not. Are they more fun? Maybe, maybe not. I think we've all had some pretty miserable social experiences for one reason or another.

Why are you "slack-jawed" while playing the game? Are you not enjoying yourself? If so, why play it in the first place. No one is forcing you to do it. Is slack-jawed in front of a game somehow worse than slack-jawed in front of a movie screen? Or slack-jawed at a concert?

Honestly, statements like the one I quoted really sadden me. Drinking, gambling, clubbing, smoking, any kind of sports, and any number of dozens, if not hundred, of other "socially accepted" activities, most of which are far more destructive the self and others and just as "useless", are consider normal in nearly every society yet saying you game is met with strange looks or outright hostility. It is that "Oh, I need to grow up, adults don't play games" attitude that keeps video gaming classified as this "children's" activity. Yes, it has gotten better as the kids that grew up with games have moved into the forefront of society, but there's still this stigma, for absolutely no reason, other than people who could help to change it deciding to hide and letting the extreme stereotypes get all attention. Don't shout it from the rooftops but don't deny it in shame and sure as hell don't let all those baby-boomer ex-hippies who spent their youth smoking pot, protesting, and spreading social diseases tell you that your hobby should be frowned upon.

INF1NIT3 D00M

Aug 14, 2008
rodneyy said:
also what is ment when you say gamer? is it only people who play the traditional fps/rts etc or does it include the peggle/farmville crowd.
That Peggle and Farmville crowd... Incorrigible! My mother plays Fishville on Facebook, and I swear, every other word out of her mouth is an F-bomb! I don't even know what to say to her. Usually I just mute her when I go online, so I don't have to deal with her stream of insults and racist comments. All I know is that we need to ban everything in Mass Effect 3, otherwise known as "Space Boner Simulator 3". Games like that are turning our mothers, girlfriends (and friends in their free time) into sex-crazed, F-bomb dropping maniacs!

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
Well one thing to understand is that voice codec's of the games and online service itself determine what you're really hearing and many older people can be made to have higher voices. Second, older people usually FOR THE MOST PART don't have much to say or do so with their own groups or on their own voice services if on things like the PC.

I've met many gamers online and I've found that the most immature, juvenile, vulgar, and insulting aren't the occasionally childish and inappropriate kids that are on the voice-com but the adults, as they are much more prevalent and MUCH more vulgar and immature.