If there was a new Metroid sidescroller...

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
As long as Samus' mouth is stitched tight, I'd definitively buy it.
Even if it was a dull monologue like Other M (wich still had top notch gameplay and graphics), I'd still buy it, I'm a huge fan of the series.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
Doragon Shinzui said:
Moontouched-Moogle said:
The two-dimensional Metroid games are actually rather good; you should give them a try sometime. Having played those and Metroid Prime myself, I can say that both 2-D and 3-D are good (usually), but they do lend themselves to different styles of gameplay.
Oh I've played some of the 2D ones. Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission are some of my favorite GBA games, though Super Metroid and the original just seem dated at this point (But I'm not allowed to criticize Super Metroid, am I? People don't like it when I point out how much better the other ones are when compared to it.)
Eh, I'm ok with criticism of Super Metroid. I personally enjoyed Metroid Fusion slightly more, but it's a close call.
Doragon Shinzui said:
Vault101 said:
if it had amazing graphics and was as good as super metroid...then hells yes

metroid prime 3 (and I assume the rest of the prime series) were awsome

I dont see how super metroid is dated...it plays and looks as good now as it did then (unlike say those awkward 3D games)

I generally have trouble getting into older games, but super metroid reallly had me hooked
You haven't played the other Prime games? When there's a compilation reboot for the Wii?
For shame.

For the record, Metroid Prime 3 really disappointed me. Like, everything in it just felt...wrong. Metroid Prime 2 did so as well to a lesser extend, but I suppose when you have to compare them to Prime 1, most everything is disappointing.
Problem with the Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii is that it apparently forces you to use Wii controls on the first two games, which, according to my friend, made certain bosses nearly impossible due to the reconfigured lock-on and weapon-switching mechanics.

DarkTenka

Apr 7, 2010
Doragon Shinzui said:
Well, speaking as someone who's first experience with Samus was Metroid Prime (Or, Super Smash Bros, but I don't count that...), I'd say...
Nah. I'm not sure what direction Samus should go, but I don't think chopping a dimension is the answer.
Samus was at her finest in the 2nd Dimension. Prime was an "ok example" of a 3D platformer, but platforming has always been most fun in 2D.

Metroid caved to peer pressure and went 3D .. for what reason? .. why is 2D such a bad thing?

You're playing a game, not a sim. All of the 2D Metroids are far superior to any of the 3D ones.

@ OP: HELL YES! I would buy it in the instant before the instant that I found about it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Redlin5 said:
TLS14 said:
Assuming you have a Wii
I do not have a seventh generation console.
well theres always *shifty eyes* *cough*emulation*cough*

Doragon Shinzui said:
Vault101 said:
if it had amazing graphics and was as good as super metroid...then hells yes

metroid prime 3 (and I assume the rest of the prime series) were awsome

I dont see how super metroid is dated...it plays and looks as good now as it did then (unlike say those awkward 3D games)

I generally have trouble getting into older games, but super metroid reallly had me hooked
You haven't played the other Prime games? When there's a compilation reboot for the Wii?
For shame.

For the record, Metroid Prime 3 really disappointed me. Like, everything in it just felt...wrong. Metroid Prime 2 did so as well to a lesser extend, but I suppose when you have to compare them to Prime 1, most everything is disappointing.
I know...I know..I still cant get over (in MP3 anyhow) that that was jennifer hale yelping/grunting everytime I ran samus into some hot lava

as for other M...I havnt actually heard movie bobs defense for it, but aparently he essentilly says "you dont like it because your racist/xenophopic"

its one thing ot like somthing..its another to use stupid arguments..rabid fanboyism at its finest (though I do stand to be corrected on that)

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Possibly, though I loved the FPS prime games.

I really don't care for Metroid or Super Metroid. The side scroller game would have to be massively evolved from them to garner my attention.

Other M was a step in that direction but the forced 3rd person and weak story took away from it's focus and experience.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
definitely. metroid is the only nintendo series i really liked. classic dont always work in 3d or 3rd person. i liked metroid much better as a side scroller. i might be willing to buy a wiiU if it had a purely side scrolling metroid game (in which either the characters didnt talk or they used writers that didnt, ya know...suck)

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I enjoyed what I played of Fusion. Unfortunately, boss battles are hard in 2D...
But I'd probably still buy it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Nah.

i've always disliked the visual design in Metroid games and the whole backtracking focus is just lazy padding.

Doragon Shinzui

Dec 7, 2009
Moontouched-Moogle said:
Problem with the Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii is that it apparently forces you to use Wii controls on the first two games, which, according to my friend, made certain bosses nearly impossible due to the reconfigured lock-on and weapon-switching mechanics.
I didn't have too many problems. You just need to learn to aim correctly with your own skills, rather than rely entirely on the lock-on.

Doragon Shinzui

Dec 7, 2009
DarkTenka said:
Samus was at her finest in the 2nd Dimension. Prime was an "ok example" of a 3D platformer, but platforming has always been most fun in 2D.

Metroid caved to peer pressure and went 3D .. for what reason? .. why is 2D such a bad thing?

You're playing a game, not a sim. All of the 2D Metroids are far superior to any of the 3D ones.

@ OP: HELL YES! I would buy it in the instant before the instant that I found about it.
*Sigh*
It isn't about the gameplay, it's about the story. Metroid Prime told such an amazing story (Paired side by side with amazing gameplay but that's not the point here) that it overcomes any flaws thrown at it. It's an amazing story well told, and you can't argue in favor of the single scene in Super Metroid or the text dumps in Fusion and Zero Mission.

Plus, Metroid Prime performed beautifully. It had a bit of platforming, but most of it was puzzles more creative than "Jump here from here."

Jdb

May 26, 2010
The 2D Metroid I have in mind can only work if Other M isn't canon. It would star Adam Malkovich with game play similar to Shadow Complex. There would be dialogue interaction with several different marine NPCs and Samus. Players control Adam until the game's finale, where Adam dies to the final boss and players take control of Samus to wreck everything in revenge.

targren

May 13, 2009
Samechiel said:
Atmos Duality said:
Other M was an abomination. Every Metroid game that comes after it (if any do; there's a good chance that it killed the series) will be tainted by what Sakamoto has done. The man should be caned.
Sakamoto did it once before. Yes. The man can even fuck up a side-scrolling Metroid game.

Proof: Metroid Fusion.

So the answer to the OP is "only if Sakamoto is kept away from it with tasers and pit bulls.

DioWallachia

Sep 9, 2011
How do you know that one Metroid game HASN'T been made already but with another name? Dont forget that a good game inspires people to make their own, so who knows, maybe it was already made the 2D sidescroller that people want so munch.....